1st and Business non-rev suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birdman

Veteran
Nov 14, 2003
Knee jerk suspension of non revs in 1st and business class ridiculous. No seats in first class occupied this morning to DFW while 2 of us put in coach with 12 revenues. How about giving gate agents discretion to social distance as necessary??

It will be interesting to see if commuting pilots are also banned from F/C along with us peons especially if F/C is empty. My guess is that PIC will instruct gate agent to move commuting pilots to F/C. If agent does not do so, then once forward entry door has closed, PIC will give instruction to flight attendant. Does the rule apply only to D priority non-revs, or are deadheading employees also banned?

Last edited:
The whole reason isn’t social distancing, some have to do with aircraft balancing issues due to the very light loads.
So multiple reasons for this policy

The whole reason isn’t social distancing, some have to do with aircraft balancing issues due to the very light loads.

Alert!
Due to in-flight social distancing measures......

You do know the cheapest seats in the back are very popular?

That's why you have a stabilizer trim for large shifts in CG. But what do I know?

You’re both right.

I don’t work for AA, but do work in Ops for my carrier; all the normal “rules” for weight and balance are out the window right now.

How does that affect fuel consumption?
I am sure the thousands of pounds of people and luggage NOT on the airplanes now, more than make up for the fuel consumption you ask about. Also without the loads the airlines also save a bit when loading fuel as not as much is required. Offsets...

I am sure the thousands of pounds of people and luggage NOT on the airplanes now, more than make up for the fuel consumption you ask about. Also without the loads the airlines also save a bit when loading fuel as not as much is required. Offsets...
Seems like the airline should be saving as much money as possible. Even small amounts add up.

Also it may not offset as there are so few passengers dividing the cost of the fuel. It is true you have less people, baggage, and fuel however the aircraft itself is a constant and it only "evens out" if there are enough passengers to neutralize cost when the requirements for the aircraft itself are accounted for.

Drag would increase fuel consumption and increase cost... the question is how much.

Last edited:
Yeah, this probably has less to do with CG than it does cost savings... Sure, you need to distribute a load, but when you've got 10-20 customers at most on a narrowbody that's almost nothing. We used to be able to change a load closeout after takeoff by 2000 lbs on a narrowbody and 4000 lbs on a widebody without it being considered an incident.

It sounds more like cost savings. F/J setups aren't cheap, and over-provisioning beyond paid bookings and upgrades to accommodate nonrevs should have stopped happening three weeks ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.