1st and Business non-rev suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite all of the logic displayed here, the company said in their announcement of the F/C seating ban for non-revs that it was due to social distancing for paid passengers in F/C. I may be wrong, but 6 foot distances in F/C would allow only window seats occupied on 2 or 3 rows and if 4A (is occupied, 3A and 5A can not be. Likewise, if 5A is occupied, 6A and 4A can not be. Same logic applies to starboard window seats, 4F and 5F. Work it out.

(On AA narrowbodys (think 737), the F/C row numbers are 3, 4, 5, and 6. (No, do not write me and ask why the first row in F/C is Row 3. I asked that question back in 2000 when I was in training and was told the answer is "Just because.".o_O

Last edited:
Yeah, this probably has less to do with CG than it does cost savings... Sure, you need to distribute a load, but when you've got 10-20 customers at most on a narrowbody that's almost nothing. We used to be able to change a load closeout after takeoff by 2000 lbs on a narrowbody and 4000 lbs on a widebody without it being considered an incident.

It sounds more like cost savings. F/J setups aren't cheap, and over-provisioning beyond paid bookings and upgrades to accommodate nonrevs should have stopped happening three weeks ago.

If you are referring to meals to be served in F/C, I don't think that is it. Friend who is still flying told me that the plan is no meals served on flights less than 2000 miles. That should eliminate the majority of domestic flights. I think it's all domestic flights departing from DFW except DFW-ANC.

(On AA narrowbodys (think 737), the F/C row numbers are 3, 4, 5, and 6. (No, do not write me and ask why the first row in F/C is Row 3. I asked that question back in 2000 when I was in training and was told the answer is "Just because.".o_O
Sounds a bit silly but maybe Captain is ROW 1 and Co Pilot is ROW 2 in some database somewhere. That's the only thing I can think of.

If anybody has any other theories post em'.

Thanks for the clarification on meals, Jim. Alcohol would still be a cost, though.

B757's, A300's and DC10's all had Row 1 at some point.

Although criticizing the airplane meal is practically an Olympic sport, I'm waiting for the blowback from Exec Plats who board the flight to SEA at 1830 in DFW after a day of solid meetings and are told that there is no meal on this flight. I flew First Class almost exclusively for several years. I rarely had a passenger in F/C who turned down the meal. Granted, some ate only the salad and the dessert, but never just outright refusal of whatever was offered since the barbecued chicken pizza was removed from the lunch menus. (See, prayer does work.:rolleyes:)

Anecdotal (and slightly off menu), but for the 1st week of April, my station only fueled ~10% of what we did for the same period last year.

Exactly Kev. And that equates to 90% savings of fuel bill for the same time period. And when you are the big 4 airlines that is a bunch of savings.
I understand the spreading of the cost across the structures, but remember, some of these flights still must go no matter the load factors. Either future connections have to be made or part of the continued flying needed and called for by the gov. and the assistance and/or medical and essential supplies transporting in or out.

Sounds a bit silly but maybe Captain is ROW 1 and Co Pilot is ROW 2 in some database somewhere. That's the only thing I can think of.

If anybody has any other theories post em'.

Could it be that if F/C was not there there would be a 1st and 2nd row. And mayb, they were taken out for larger pitch between the seats for more comfort in F/C. In other words they removed the first two regular rows to accommodate the larger pitches as well as the larger cost in F/C. IOW's, the cost are now being dissolved within less amount of seats since they removed the first two rows. All guesses or theories of my own as I have no clue, and I work for an airline that has NEVER had F/C cabin...

Could it be that if F/C was not there there would be a 1st and 2nd row. And mayb, they were taken out for larger pitch between the seats for more comfort in F/C. In other words they removed the first two regular rows to accommodate the larger pitches as well as the larger cost in F/C. IOW's, the cost are now being dissolved within less amount of seats since they removed the first two rows. All guesses or theories of my own as I have no clue, and I work for an airline that has NEVER had F/C cabin...
Sounds as good as anything else I have heard.

Although criticizing the airplane meal is practically an Olympic sport, I'm waiting for the blowback from Exec Plats who board the flight to SEA at 1830 in DFW after a day of solid meetings and are told that there is no meal on this flight. I flew First Class almost exclusively for several years. I rarely had a passenger in F/C who turned down the meal. Granted, some ate only the salad and the dessert, but never just outright refusal of whatever was offered since the barbecued chicken pizza was removed from the lunch menus. (See, prayer does work.:rolleyes:)
There is a reason airline food is bland. You have an enclosed area recycling air. If you had pungent food the smell would be unbearable.

I think AA brass found out about my two mini bottles of Baily's Irish cream when upgraded to first.

Funny, whenever I bring my own food onboard, it tastes just fine. No, I think the catering company is the main "non-tasty" culprit.

Funny, whenever I bring my own food onboard, it tastes just fine. No, I think the catering company is the main "non-tasty" culprit.
I had the same experience. Food I brought myself also tasted fine.

I think eolesen just did a Google search and posted the first thing that he thought made him look smarter than everyone else. The more I see the man post the more I realize he has a superiority complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.