2.0 Brazil Hangar (STAY ON TOPIC)

La Li Lu Le Lo

Veteran
May 29, 2010
I would like to discuss the Brazil hanger. Maybe we can stay on topic this time.

Does anyone know how many and what type of aircraft it can support?

Does anyone know the location (besides the obvious that it is in Brazil)?

Has anyone tried to look at the location from Google Earth?

Is the location they chose expandable?

One thing of note is Tulsa has a lot of satellite support companies providing them things. Is this something Brazil can provide as well?

We are told it will accommodate 2 widebodies. It is to be built at GRU. That's about all I know for sure. I have not seen a timeline for construction. One thing is for sure, they will not be doing "just oil changes". They will be doing A and B checks. Followed soon with various ECOs. You can put money on that. It will cost jobs here.

We are told it will accommodate 2 widebodies. It is to be built at GRU. That's about all I know for sure. I have not seen a timeline for construction. One thing is for sure, they will not be doing "just oil changes". They will be doing A and B checks. Followed soon with various ECOs. You can put money on that. It will cost jobs here.
How many workers are they planning to employ there. If you can fit two wide bodies I would think, it is,at least over 100,000 square feet. One of old management team is in MCI AAR hired him, they are going to do SWA contract maintenance, since we pulled out of El Salvador. The MCI facility was TWA old maintenance base, AAR is also there now.

Does not look like they have a whole lot of room there.

GRU AIRPORT.png

Reactions: B737 driver
I would like to discuss the Brazil hanger. Maybe we can stay on topic this time.

Does anyone know how many and what type of aircraft it can support?

Does anyone know the location (besides the obvious that it is in Brazil)?

Has anyone tried to look at the location from Google Earth?

Is the location they chose expandable?

One thing of note is Tulsa has a lot of satellite support companies providing them things. Is this something Brazil can provide as well?

777's and 787's get a lot of ground time there. Our instructors who frequently go to GRU, GIG and EZE for training say they have been hiring mechs from LATAM. They are BOEING trained and hey are GOOD! They say the location size is decent. They said it will have support structures/buildings attached to the hangar. Also, I have noticed that when we need parts of any nature for the 777, SA has been stocking more than we have locally. I know some folks say that this is another form of outsourcng, but they are AAers! Unlike aircraft going to HKG and El Salvador and Timco, this is AA work just like LHR and CDG being done by AAers.
I

How many workers are they planning to employ there. If you can fit two wide bodies I would think, it is,at least over 100,000 square feet. One of old management team is in MCI AAR hired him, they are going to do SWA contract maintenance, since we pulled out of El Salvador. The MCI facility was TWA old maintenance base, AAR is also there now.

The claim is that they are just "getting a roof over their heads," but like devilhog said this ain't just for oil changes. Not sure of the overall headcount. I would imagine once the hangar is complete and what work will be done their, headcount will increase.

I realize the hanger is important but this demands attention as well.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...can-airlines-maintenance-center-idUSKCN1BQ2IX

Temer’s government has also discussed ending a rule that restricts foreign ownership of Brazilian airlines to a 20 percent stake.

This week, Brazil’s antitrust agency recommended approval of a business agreement between American and LATAM Airlines Group SA LFL.SN, Latin America’s largest airline.

Seems to me this hanger is a wedge being used by American Airlines as a means to a larger portion of Brazilian market share. The hanger sounds like a small part of a large collection of under the table deals between the Brazilian government, the DoT, and American Airlines.

I realize the hanger is important but this demands attention as well.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...can-airlines-maintenance-center-idUSKCN1BQ2IX

Temer’s government has also discussed ending a rule that restricts foreign ownership of Brazilian airlines to a 20 percent stake.

This week, Brazil’s antitrust agency recommended approval of a business agreement between American and LATAM Airlines Group SA LFL.SN, Latin America’s largest airline.

Seems to me this hanger is a wedge being used by American Airlines as a means to a larger portion of Brazilian market share. The hanger sounds like a small part of a large collection of under the table deals between the Brazilian government, the DoT, and American Airlines.
It sounds like American plans to invest in more ownership of a Brazilian airline, and use this maintenance base not only for American metal/ or composite aka B787 for whatever airline the holding company invest in. Curious what does the pilots contract and your guys contract contain about that, any clues? Why else would they have a lease for 40 years.

I am starting to think this is less about outsourcing work and more about supporting expansion into these LATAM areas.

Thoughts?

GRU, as well as EZE, SCL and GiG, currently does work that DFW and MIA couldn't do, mostly A and B check equivalents, now called ST packs. They also do interior fumigations, engine washes, clear MELs etc etc. They are AA employees so no, work is not being outsourced. And as far as I know, they do not do work that normally TUL base can do. Those AMTs are professionals, with the same knowledge and qualifications (maybe even more) than most on here that only complain. I personally hope more work would be sent to qualified and eager to work locations.

GRU, as well as EZE, SCL and GiG, currently does work that DFW and MIA couldn't do, mostly A and B check equivalents, now called ST packs. They also do interior fumigations, engine washes, clear MELs etc etc. They are AA employees so no, work is not being outsourced. And as far as I know, they do not do work that normally TUL base can do. Those AMTs are professionals, with the same knowledge and qualifications (maybe even more) than most on here that only complain. I personally hope more work would be sent to qualified and eager to work locations.

They may be AA employees, but not TWU members. Makes a BIG difference in my book.

It's not work that DFW and MIA couldn't do. It's work that was pulled from those stations. It's all about outsourcing work and paying lower wages.