2.0 Brazil Hangar (STAY ON TOPIC)

It's not work that DFW and MIA couldn't do. It's work that was pulled from those stations. It's all about outsourcing work and paying lower wages.
I do not think that's a fact. Just remember what happened with the 757 and 777 B check... They could not be done in time in DFW, or were deferred often, then moved to MIA, same issue, then sent to GRU and the other SA stations and guess what now, more work being done south. There is a reason for everything, not just what you think.

I do not think that's a fact. Just remember what happened with the 757 and 777 B check... They could not be done in time in DFW, or were deferred often, then moved to MIA, same issue, then sent to GRU and the other SA stations and guess what now, more work being done south. There is a reason for everything, not just what you think.
What was the reason the work couldn't get done, lack of support parts ect, or lack of motivation. The parts that's the company's fault. If it was the latter, only the workers can fix that.

Reactions: Aviator92
If getting aircraft out on time could save jobs AFW would still be open. USAir management is so inept they don’t understand that in the long run this outsourcing probably isn’t saving the company money at all. I’m against any work going to Brazil other than overnight checks but there is no doubt that they plan more than that. I see the hangar being used like any other hangar in the system. Keep it full at all times.

If getting aircraft out on time could save jobs AFW would still be open. USAir management is so inept they don’t understand that in the long run this outsourcing probably isn’t saving the company money at all. I’m against any work going to Brazil other than overnight checks but there is no doubt that they plan more than that. I see the hangar being used like any other hangar in the system. Keep it full at all times.
Maybe my point was lost.

I believe they are trying to use this hanger as a wedge to gain more market share in LATAM. It is very possible they will do heavy maintenance there but my feeling is perhaps it won't impact Tulsa because there is about to be a lot more demand there to meet the expanded LATAM market share.

Maybe I am wrong. I never professed to me an expert in all things maintenance but, it makes sense to me if they are making such a push for market share they would need a (semi)local place to do maintenance.

Can't speak for DFW like you can, but the B checks weren't being deferred out of MIA. They rolled on time unless there was an issue that took longer to repair, usually due to parts . Lack of parts has always been an issue at MIA.

Maybe my point was lost.

I believe they are trying to use this hanger as a wedge to gain more market share in LATAM. It is very possible they will do heavy maintenance there but my feeling is perhaps it won't impact Tulsa because there is about to be a lot more demand there to meet the expanded LATAM market share.

Maybe I am wrong. I never professed to me an expert in all things maintenance but, it makes sense to me if they are making such a push for market share they would need a (semi)local place to do maintenance.
I was responding to the post by Aviator92 who is probably just trying to stir the pot. I get your point and agree that what you say is very possible. As AMTs we are focused on lost work and jobs since we know cutting TWU heads is the plan based on USAir philosophy and statements by management since the merger. They have stated that no non AA aircraft will be worked there and I doubt AA will fly within Brazil. I can see AA 787s and 777s spending days and weeks there for maintenance, not just overnight checks. This will move a few hundred TWU jobs out of the country. This won’t effect Tulsa. They have their own issues to face.

Can't speak for DFW like you can, but the B checks weren't being deferred out of MIA. They rolled on time unless there was an issue that took longer to repair, usually due to parts . Lack of parts has always been an issue at MIA.
The company can make or break an operation with parts, if they will not supply the parts, that's not maintenance fault.Who is responsible for ordering the parts maintenance supervisor, or the leads, or planning, knowing what work is due on what a/c?

I was responding to the post by Aviator92 who is probably just trying to stir the pot. I get your point and agree that what you say is very possible. As AMTs we are focused on lost work and jobs since we know cutting TWU heads is the plan based on USAir philosophy and statements by management since the merger. They have stated that no non AA aircraft will be worked there and I doubt AA will fly within Brazil. I can see AA 787s and 777s spending days and weeks there for maintenance, not just overnight checks. This will move a few hundred TWU jobs out of the country. This won’t effect Tulsa. They have their own issues to face.
Is Tulsa American Airlines main voting block for the union. If they keep those guys happy, about not losing work, then maybe they don't worry about maintenance hangars in Brazil.

Is Tulsa American Airlines main voting block for the union. If they keep those guys happy, about not losing work, then maybe they don't worry about maintenance hangars in Brazil.

Tulsa in the past outnumbered the line. That is no longer the case.

Tulsa in the past outnumbered the line. That is no longer the case.
Just remember when mechanics in maintenance lose their jobs they bump.

A loss of jobs in maintenance means a loss of employment for line mechanics and vice versa.

When it comes to layoffs there is no "they".

Stir the pot? How? I am just making comments on facts and experience. I remember sometimes DFW "would have so much work" that they would send some across the airport to DWH. DWH always helped and delivered. Then one day some people were complaining why work was being sent that way when it can be done at DFW lol. Well guess what, that stopped and then you got hangar queens and planes sitting for days not being touched. Anyway, again, not staring the pot.

Stir the pot? How? I am just making comments on facts and experience. I remember sometimes DFW "would have so much work" that they would send some across the airport to DWH. DWH always helped and delivered. Then one day some people were complaining why work was being sent that way when it can be done at DFW lol. Well guess what, that stopped and then you got hangar queens and planes sitting for days not being touched. Anyway, again, not staring the pot.
Fair enough. I’m sure you’ve been around long enough to see inept management screw up a maintenance plan and/or morale to cause airplanes to slip too.

So what caused that, where I am, we had inspection writing the crap out of the airplanes and it, would take longer to get the work done. Some of the stuff they would write up had to do with the work, and some was not.

Just remember when mechanics in maintenance lose their jobs they bump.

A loss of jobs in maintenance means a loss of employment for line mechanics and vice versa.

When it comes to layoffs there is no "they".
Thing is who knows how a layoff will be handled? God I hate to bring this up again but......If it is handled like AfW and TAESL were, seniority meant pretty much nothing. Supposedly the IAM has straight bumping by seniority. Like it should be. Remember, we have a local President based at DFW who has 92 seniority. He also happens to be leading negotiations now. Could that be why we won’t see a TA anytime soon that leads to bumping?

Thing is who knows how a layoff will be handled? God I hate to bring this up again but......If it is handled like AfW and TAESL were, seniority meant pretty much nothing. Supposedly the IAM has straight bumping by seniority. Like it should be. Remember, we have a local President based at DFW who has 92 seniority. He also happens to be leading negotiations now. Could that be why we won’t see a TA anytime soon that leads to bumping?
I have found that the ones elected to represent the group and it doesn't matter who it is usually look out for themselves. If someone has super seniority they might not worry about a hangar in Brazil. If I am guessing right in a big American station, you probably can't get 1st shift or 2nd shift line without having at least 25 years correct ?