2 CO Planes Hit Each Other at EWR

Jan 14, 2004
Newark Runway Collision Investigation Underway
Continental Flights Hit On Taxiway

(CBS) NEWARK An investigation is underway as to the cause of a collision between two Continental Airlines planes at Newark Liberty Airport yesterday morning.

The accident occurred as the jets were preparing to take off.

As Flight 587 to Miami headed for the runway, its left wing clipped the tale section of another plane, Flight 1002 to Los Angeles.The tail of the Los Angeles-bound plane was extensively damaged.

Both planes were evacuated, and nobody was hurt.

Passengers from Flight 1002 ultimately landed safely last night in Los Angeles on a different plane.

In August, a taxiing Continental Airlines jet clipped two parked planes at Newark.

Newark Runway Collision Investigation Underway
Continental Flights Hit On Taxiway

(CBS) NEWARK An investigation is underway as to the cause of a collision between two Continental Airlines planes at Newark Liberty Airport yesterday morning.

The accident occurred as the jets were preparing to take off.

As Flight 587 to Miami headed for the runway, its left wing clipped the tale section of another plane, Flight 1002 to Los Angeles.The tail of the Los Angeles-bound plane was extensively damaged.

Both planes were evacuated, and nobody was hurt.

Passengers from Flight 1002 ultimately landed safely last night in Los Angeles on a different plane.

In August, a taxiing Continental Airlines jet clipped two parked planes at Newark.

Two things I don't get :unsure: , Why would they evacuate a plane if it was just a "clip" that make no sense. and two, I didn't see it on the news, don't you think haveing evacuated 2 planes and have 250 people on the taxi ways wouldn't make the news???

Two things I don't get :unsure: , Why would they evacuate a plane if it was just a "clip" that make no sense. and two, I didn't see it on the news, don't you think haveing evacuated 2 planes and have 250 people on the taxi ways wouldn't make the news???
What do you mean it didn't make the news? The story is from CBS News.

The wings contain a lot of fuel. Depending on the severity of the strike, getting off that plane and evacuating to the right of the plane may have been a very good idea. As for the other plane, the tail contains a lot of plumbing for hydraulic systems, and that stuff can also fuel a fire. The APU is also back there and it also contains Jet-A.

The decision to evacuate a plane is not taken lightly, but there also cannot be any delay in making the decision. It is one of those contingencies that can arise that is a reason you want an experienced flight crew making those decisions, even when they are having a bad day.

Total rumor Cool, just someone trying to get the pot stirred. They should try it on another airlines forum that is more active.

Total rumor Cool, just someone trying to get the pot stirred. They should try it on another airlines forum that is more active.

Not a rumor... I just got an e-mail with pictures. The wing tip of one acft. was broken off in the other!

See, There's so much BS on these forums, that if you had posted the link in the first place, there wouldn't have been all the bandwidth wasted here.

The wings contain a lot of fuel. Depending on the severity of the strike, getting off that plane and evacuating to the right of the plane may have been a very good idea. As for the other plane, the tail contains a lot of plumbing for hydraulic systems, and that stuff can also fuel a fire. The APU is also back there and it also contains Jet-A.

The decision to evacuate a plane is not taken lightly, but there also cannot be any delay in making the decision. It is one of those contingencies that can arise that is a reason you want an experienced flight crew making those decisions, even when they are having a bad day.

You know, you could be right. Well ayway the plus side of the story was nobody got hurt or killed, and they all made it to their final destination :up:

Attachments

• Wing_tip_crash.jpg
    Wing_tip_crash.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 359
That is one of the pictures of one wing tip left stuck in the others tail after it was torn off.