2007 Benefit Changes

Cost and regulation.

For larger companies, it's still cheaper to pay the claims at cost than it is to pay premiums. Premiums are money spent regardless if there are claims. If there are fewer claims in a given year for an employer, they're keeping that money in their pockets.

Anyone remember flex benefit holidays? Those were months where employees didn't pay their monthly contributions because claims were under contribution rates. That hasn't happened in probably six or seven years, but it's possible.

Traditional health plans thru an insurer are often regulated state by state, whereas self-funded plans are only regulated at the federal level. That works both ways -- by having a single set of rules to follow at the federal level, coverage won't change as employees move about the country. With plans regulated at the state level, it's possible that coverage could change during a relocation.

Don't blame UHC. Blame the health-care providers, drug companies, and to some degree (don't slap me on this, OK?), employees who use their healthcare benefits a lot more than they should.

You hit on a very important point in the last part of your statement. One has to wonder what health care costs in this country would be if people took better care of themselves. Just look at the obeseity rates in this country and what it costs to treat all the health problems associated with it.

Just look at the obeseity rates in this country and what it costs to treat all the health problems associated with it.

The country? One need not look past the turnstiles in Tulsa to see the Bubu bellies aplenty. If we would just all get in shape by riding recumbant bikes like Informer maybe all our rates would come down.

Everything is on the rise.
Health care
Homeowners Ins
Flood Ins
Property Taxes

The only thing not on the rise is our pay
Unless you factor in that 1.5 percent. Which is what 60 cents before taxes
:down: :down: :down:

Everything is on the rise.
Health care
Homeowners Ins
Flood Ins
Property Taxes

The only thing not on the rise is our pay
Unless you factor in that 1.5 percent. Which is what 60 cents before taxes
:down: :down: :down:

Nonsense. Lots of things are dropping in price - like flatscreen TVs. Like computers. Like gasoline (down a lot the last few weeks). LOTSA things going down in price. Plenty of things going up as well, like you pointed out - but let's be fair: Some things get cheaper every year.

Flood insurance? Isn't that a signal that you really ought to move to higher ground?

One has to wonder what health care costs in this country would be if people took better care of themselves.

Yep. Tobacco's impact on health care costs is huge, which is why some companies check for tobacco use with pre-employment drug screenings, and many of those companies refuse to hire tobacco users. There are also loopholes in insurance regulations which allow tobacco users to be charged higher overall health-care premiums than non-tobacco users.

Nonsense. Lots of things are dropping in price - like flatscreen TVs.
So is the quality, it's now called a disposable TV. It may look really good when it's new, but won't last nearly as long as the older models. :down:

It's the same with most products these days, as I head out to buy my third coffee maker in 5 years, and I don't drink much coffee. ;)

Nonsense. Lots of things are dropping in price - like flatscreen TVs. Like computers. Like gasoline (down a lot the last few weeks). LOTSA things going down in price. Plenty of things going up as well, like you pointed out - but let's be fair: Some things get cheaper every year.

Flood insurance? Isn't that a signal that you really ought to move to higher ground?

You are correct things do get cheaper every year like
AA's cost for their employees.

Dont own a flat screen TV.

Gasoline prices made oil companies rich. XOM 90 billion dollar profit BP record profits. They got rich at your exspense. Now they have you brainwashed that gas at 2.70 is a good thing.

Move to higher ground.
I left higher ground for a cheaper place to live.
But it isnt cheaper even with all the money I would save on that flat screen tv
;)

Latest posts

Back