2014 Pilot Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
nycbusdriver said:

How many years of that 50 did that H model sit on alert?  Compare actual air time to that of the typical airliner that's 10 years old.  Basically, the B-52 (H models especially) were the airplane equivalent of the "only driven to church on Sundays" used car.

How about the earlier models that flew airborne alert for years (pre-1970s oil embargos)?  How are they doing?

Can you even be at all suggesting that any half-century-plus-old airframes that've been abused by both low-level flying and aerial refueling can be questioned? I get that you're affectionate towards the 330, and no offense meant, but be serious here nyc! ;)

Argh!...It occurs to me that I'm coming dangerously close to debating differing "religious convictions".  = NEVER insult another man's aircraft...even if it's an airbus. My bad, and with that, best wishes for a fine evening sir. :)

PullUp said:
Is this a signal that movement up the east list is over? If 767's are parked and replaced with AA airframes/crews, we're looking at moving back down the list or at best stagnation due to the attrition off the top. And now that AA is hiring for needs at all three 'divisions', we might conclude that the east division may shrink.
Anybody out there know about new a/c deliveries and what the fleet count (and crew manning requirements)  is projected to be next year?
If the ISL is as far down the road as some on here predict, then some of us better make plans to be reserves for a while longer....
Cheers.
New American is planning on hiring 1500 pilots over the next 3 years just to cover retirements.

About 650 from the East list so on a % basis it's still the place to be.

EastUS1 said:

Can you even be at all suggesting that any half-century-plus-old airframes that've been abused by both low-level flying and aerial refueling can be questioned? I get that you're affectionate towards the 330, and no offense meant, but be serious here nyc! ;)

Argh!...It occurs to me that I'm coming dangerously close to debating differing "religious convictions".  = NEVER insult another man's aircraft...even if it's an airbus. My bad, and with that, best wishes for a fine evening sir. :)

"Abused by aerial refueling"?  Really?  Having seen enough of those H models through the boomer's observer windows, I would hardly call aerial refueling abusive.

Reactions: 1 person
nycbusdriver said:

"Abused by aerial refueling"?  Really?  Having seen enough of those H models through the boomer's observer windows, I would hardly call aerial refueling abusive.

Understood from that perspective, but when you add up any and all jinking around needed to stay on the hook, well, I'm told even that factored in over time on those birds. The more severe stressing would naturally come from bouncing around during the low level stuff though. I can't claim personal experience with them, but I don't remember ever seeing a Buff without belly wrinkles. One must admit that whatever else is true; 50+ years is pretty darn impressive longevity for ANY weapon system that's still flying. I do take your point about how much of that time each bird's actually sat on the ground though.

EastUS1 said:

And yet it was you that felt some strange need to post the imminent loss of the 767's. Why's that trader? Were you worried that your "spartan" friends wouldn't know about it, and might need some cheering up lately? ;)

Who says anybody needs cheering up, sitting here in at a B&B in Inverness, Scotland on my summer vacation. I enjoyed the view of Loch Ness from the Urquhart Castle while avoiding haggis.

Leaving the scene of a 9-5er behind....Life is good.

Another working day has ended
Only the rush hour hell to face
Packed like lemmings into shiny metal boxes
Contestants in a suicidal race
Daddy grips the wheel and stares alone into the distance
He knows that something somewhere has to break
He sees the family home now looming in his headlights
The pain upstairs that makes his eyeballs ache
Many miles away
There's a shadow on the door
Of a cottage on the shore
Of a dark Scottish lake
Many miles away, many miles away

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ8jsqJHVLk

Reactions: 1 person
snapthis said:

Who says anybody needs cheering up, sitting here in at a B&B in Inverness, Scotland on my summer vacation. I enjoyed the view of Loch Ness from the Urquhart Castle while avoiding haggis.

"I enjoyed the view of Loch Ness..."

So...Have "you'se" caught even a glimpse of Nessie-Nickey yet? No? Well....keep looking. There's always hope. ;)

Oldest B52 has around 21,000 hours with the average around 18,000 from an article a couple of years ago.

AA's 767-200's had almost 120,000 hours when sent to the desert.

Reactions: 2 people
EastUS1 said:

"Cute" traitor, (or should I address you as the "honor" driven "LT Hardy"?) really, really "cute". People died there. I'd known the man in the right seat from his student days in UPT. His seat had made it nearly a foot up the rail at the point of impact...

Not cute at all, with all the money we spend on Defense those airplanes should have been retired long before the 1994.

Reactions: 3 people

"I enjoyed the view of Loch Ness..."

So...Have "you'se" caught even a glimpse of Nessie-Nickey yet? No? Well....keep looking. There's always hope. ;)

No Nessie, I got a glimpse of Paul McCartney at a concert on the 12th. Flew to Manchester, went to the Cavern in Liverpool where he got his start with the Beatles. Rode with friends to Edinburgh who let me know that the Scotts still don't care for the English. Had a conversation with a guy in Lanark and have no idea what language he was speaking and tried haggis for the first and last time. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.