2015 Pilot Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I would like to see the raise, I am ticked over Kirby's response to a VERY reasonable request for calendar day. 11 hour 3 day trips are ridiculous. My firm YES vote is now NO. It's become a matter of principal for me at this point.

Reactions: 5 people
luvthe9 said:
"Road shows are tentatively scheduled during the weeks of Jan. 12 and 19. Look for details later this week"

"Road Shows" in the year 2015 are stupid and wasteful of time and dues money.

Put the inevitable PowerPoint online, with narration.  Then schedule multiple "conference call" sessions for Q&A so that EVERY pilot can participate, not just those who happen to live in base and also happen to be not flying the day of the wasteful "Road Shows."

"Road Shows" are as outdated as a DC-3.  (Sorry about the MC and BOD members hotel points which they won't "earn.")

Reactions: 1 person
A320 Driver said:
As much as I would like to see the raise, I am ticked over Kirby's response to a VERY reasonable request for calendar day. 11 hour 3 day trips are ridiculous. My firm YES vote is now NO. It's become a matter of principal for me at this point.
Ditto.

A320 Driver said:

Right now, only the west pilot contract addresses that pay for an extra calendar day.  LAA and LUSeast have functioned quite well for decades without it, and there have only been sporadic grumblings on the east about this issue over the years.  Now, suddenly, it's a deal breaker?

Speaking for LUSeast, those types of trips are few and far between on the domestic side.  It is detrimental to the company to schedule those trips on a regular basis because it would equire hiring more pilots to fly such inefficient trips. We see them sometimes on weekends and holidays.

If LAA has a lot of those trips, it's merely an archaic scheduling practice...a holdover from decades past.  They need to get Chip Mayer in there to tweak their software programs, and the need for this sudden "deal breaker" will disappear.

Oh...that's right...he is already working in that department.

So, now we're talking about walking away from a huge pay raise over a problem that will likely go away with a bit of modern technology in the IT Department.

Letting this "deal breaker" slip through would really only affect the LUSwest pilots.  Do you really think the company can afford to hire the pilots needed to have a lot of their staffing out there flying 21 days to get 71 hours of pay?  I wonder how many more pilots wuld need to be hired if the "sky is falling down" crowd is right and 11-hour 3-day trips became the norm?

One final note:  If we demand that calendar day pay in arbitration, and it is not already in the Green Book (which it is not,)  who do you think will pay for that?  The arbtiration is cost neutral.  All the goodies the pilots are screaming about that are missing from the proposals will come out of OUR pockets in one form or another.  That's the danger of a cost-neutral arbitration: Our current pay rates will go DOWN, as will 401K contributions and possible LTD benefits.

Reactions: 2 people
If a block holder calls sick for one of these gems, it's only 11:00 hours out of your short term bank. If a reserve calls sic for a 11:00 hour 3 day it will cost anywhere from aprox 12:30 to 15:00 hours depending on how much they have flown the previous months.

nycbusdriver said:
"Road Shows" in the year 2015 are stupid and wasteful of time and dues money.

Put the inevitable PowerPoint online, with narration.  Then schedule multiple "conference call" sessions for Q&A so that EVERY pilot can participate, not just those who happen to live in base and also happen to be not flying the day of the wasteful "Road Shows."

"Road Shows" are as outdated as a DC-3.  (Sorry about the MC and BOD members hotel points which they won't "earn.")
At least tape the shows show we can hear other peoples questions.

$10B in two years, and not one inch toward a new culture.

Their attitude is a deal breaker.

APA has bent over backwards to support the merger and to allow Parker to keep his promises about what he was going to do once the merger was sucessful. (Does anyone remember he said the merger synergies would net $1B?....)

Today is that day that everyone has lived all these years to fight for. Today.

AWE Dog said:
No Vote, 11:00 hour 3 days are a deal breaker.

That makes sense for a westie who has the calendar day pay in the contract.  However, what percentge of your trips actually collect that pay for the dead calendar day?

Are we demanding a costly (to us) solution that is in search of a problem?  Will we be willing to pay the price that the company costs out for this item in the arbitration?

Personally, I would LOVE to see pay for the dead calendar day.  EVERY transatlantic trip would pay me at least an extra minimum day.  (That would be the elimination of one crossing 3-day trip for the same monthly pay.)  

My problem with the entire fiasco is that we are unlikely to get it in arbitration anyway due to our having to pay for it systemwide. 

The big picture:  Qualified pilots are becoming a scarce resource, and the company can ill afford (from a purely logistics point) to have this scarce resource sitting around hotels.  This is 2015, not 1995, or 2005.  The conditions of the industry have changed as far as the pilot pool, so why chase (and pay for) something that the company will need to fix on their own...or hire that many more pilots (if they can even get them.)

nycbusdriver said:

The big picture:  Qualified pilots are becoming a scarce resource, and the company can ill afford (from a purely logistics point) to have this scarce resource sitting around hotels.  This is 2015, not 1995, or 2005.  The conditions of the industry have changed as far as the pilot pool, so why chase (and pay for) something that the company will need to fix on their own...or hire that many more pilots (if they can even get them.)
OK, if they can't afford to have pilots sitting around, they won't make unproductive pairings and the duty rig would cost them nothing.

Reactions: 5 people
Status
Not open for further replies.