3 of DL's 4 largest int'l markets will gain preclearance

Any thoughts as to why IST is on the list?
Doesn't it seem odd choice?  I would imagine there is much more traffic between many EU-IST before JFK (or any other USA destination)?  But then again, OSL and ARN are on the list too.

I saw another article that said, that C&I is beginning the research to consider these airports for pre-clearance.  This is not a done deal.  Also, it is being done due to the volume of U.S. traffic from these airports, not because Delta serves them.

Reactions: 3 people
no one said it is related to DL specifically... just that some of DL's key hubs will be involved.

And DHS' primary objective in the whole program is to push screening outside of the US making arrivals in the US essentially a domestic flight and with the assurance that whoever needs to be caught has been vetted before boarding.

AMS is already one step ahead in terms of reworking their entire security process and will be operating to US security standards which facilitates their ability to quickly ramp up for the program.

Passengers essentially clear US style security and DHS procedures in the foreign country so all that is being done is shifting the longer connection to the foreign country instead of the US.

Further, it allows local passengers from precleared airports to arrive as domestic passengers.

Other carriers will benefit - I specifically noted AA has a large number of its int'l hubs there. LHR will be on e of the more interesting airports to convert to preclearance because there are so many terminals that handle US bound flights.

DHS sought applications from airports that wanted to be included. A number of US airlines were upset that some of the ME3's airports have it but other US carrier foreign hubs do not. IST is a major foreign entry point to the US due to TK's growth but DHS is going where it is asked, not necessarily where the largest airports are for US bound passengers.

Germany, France, and S. Korea are not on the list.

Latest posts