4.53 per 100 Ground Workers Injured or Killed!

Quoted from article "At US Airways, ground workers go through a three-week training program on procedures, including one-on-one instruction on the tarmac. "We're very heavily focused on safety," said Anthony Mulé, senior vice president for customer service."

3 Week training? Holy S!@# you have got to be kidding me these new hires are working planes 3 to 5 days after being hired. I have seen these kids walk in front of 757 engines running at the gate. THey drive tugs and beltloaders like bumper cars.

Mule talks safty how about fixing the the "Fn" ground equipment. Workers are driving on next to unsafe or condemend condition.

At US "Safety" means....don't scratch our airplanes.

I've seen Managers scold someone for "Aircraft safety" (as they should) but then turn their head when it comes to "employee safety" (just get the job done)

Quoted from article "At US Airways, ground workers go through a three-week training program on procedures, including one-on-one instruction on the tarmac. "We're very heavily focused on safety," said Anthony Mulé, senior vice president for customer service."

3 Week training? Holy S!@# you have got to be kidding me these new hires are working planes 3 to 5 days after being hired. I have seen these kids walk in front of 757 engines running at the gate. THey drive tugs and beltloaders like bumper cars.
Mule talks safty how about fixing the the "Fn" ground equipment. Workers are driving on next to unsafe or condemend condition.

+ 1 on this one.

It is correct to point out the US double talk regarding safety - you all have made valid points.

OTOH, aren't US fleet agents represented by a union? Aren't there station and local safety committees? Doesn't the district throw safety conferences?

Unless things have changed, when you approach the union with these matters, you will run into the same brick wall as when you approach management.

For instance, back in the day, there was a US "bag belt list of commandments" that plainly said an agent could not work the bag room alone unless he was in plain view of someone else. That way, if you got caught up in the machinery and couldn't reach a kill switch, you could call for help. When we tried to get that enforced, the AGC pissed on it - "that's not what the document means."

Also, the 70 pound lifting limit assumes a standing position, and the use of glutes and legs to lift. We had an occupational injury doctor watch us work, and he said, given the position, 5 to 10 lbs was the max lift he'd recommend. The IAM has fabulous resources. Why don't they get doctors to put this stuff in writing, and ameliorate working conditions for rampers? Ease attendance regs when connected to such an injury. End the OJI BS. Full sick pay. And if the company won't play ball, go to OSHA (I know - a joke under a Republican admin. Well, vote like it may be YOU with an OJI tomorrow).

The list is long, but you get the gist.

Make life hell on the union and the company. They CANNOT order work in unsafe conditions.

Play the game right, and you can have some very interesting grievances.

the only fleet that are union are the ones in the hubs and big cities. i cant even imagine what the ratio for accident is at the ones that were outsourced. I would imagine it be a lot higher than the ones in the big cities well exception of phlly

It is correct to point out the US double talk regarding safety - you all have made valid points.

The list is long, but you get the gist.

Make life hell on the union and the company. They CANNOT order work in unsafe conditions.

Play the game right, and you can have some very interesting grievances.

Just say no to working under unsafe conditions. If the union and company are bluffing, call their bluff.

DW,

Exactly.

If you put yourself in an unsafe situation, the union and company will play volleyball with the paperwork over your grave.

They cannot discipline you if you work exactly by their rules.

If you work to rule, it will hurt them.

That is true. But only the employee can make that decision - too many in the union and all of management will be playing 'get along, go along' if you listen to them.

I would have adored for them discipline me when I refused unsafe work!

Can you say grievance, OSHA call, personal attorney?!?

I knew that you could ;)

Back