5 Year Pilots

Walmartgreeter

Veteran
Mar 6, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I guess this would fall more under the topic of "urban legand," so maybe someone can put this rumor to rest. I keep hearing on the line that JB has not renewed the contracts of certain pilots coming up on 5 years service. I am not talking about a few bad eggs....I heard the number 14. I apologize for even asking...I would just like to have an informed reply the rumor. Thanks in advance. Greeter.

All:

First, there is NO probationary period at JetBlue.

Secondly, the contracts are living documents, just like a lease. They automatically renew after 5 years and are amendable when needed. An example of an amendment would have been when the -190 payrates came out. When the contract is amended, all pilots get a copy to sign.

We have entire classes starting their 6th year here. Some have been let go, but they were fired for cause, which is of course part of the agreement.

The number of terminated pilots is of course unknown, but I have heard under 5.

Boomer

"We have entire classes starting their 6th year here. Some have been let go, but they were fired for cause, which is of course part of the agreement."

Just to back that statement, yes some people have been let go, although none of them would have had 5 years here, and while I cannot go into specifics, it was with very good cause. I believe the number is less than a handful, but again,under circumstances that would have made all carriers see the need to let them go.

The five year contract, while true, is a non event!

There have only been three pilot terminations, other than washing out of training, that I know of, and the most recent was what? three years ago?

There have been no - as in zero - pilot terminations by nonrenewal. Every single pilot who has reached their 5th anniversary has been renewed. Granted, there haven't been very many so far, but I don't expect this pattern to change.

Blue Dude said:
There have only been three pilot terminations, other than washing out of training, that I know of, and the most recent was what? three years ago?

There have been no - as in zero - pilot terminations by nonrenewal. Every single pilot who has reached their 5th anniversary has been renewed. Granted, there haven't been very many so far, but I don't expect this pattern to change.
[post="241313"][/post]​

Oh come on guys. You all know they will fire us at the five year point. After all that will keep the morale up for the entire pilot group. Keep firing people and then there never will be a union either. Put the fear of God into the employees and the company will operate like a well oiled machine. :lol:

Wonder what profitsharing looks like with a loss in the fourth quarter? Was any paid last quarter?

Profit sharing is paid annually, but set aside on a quarterly basis. So there will be profit sharing for the first three quarters at least. And who knows, we just might eke out a before tax profit in the 4th quarter also.

Whadayano said:
Wonder what profitsharing looks like with a loss in the fourth quarter? Was any paid last quarter?
[post="241355"][/post]​

That profit sharing check goes to the loyal employees in El Salvador.... :down:

Busdrvr

It's been awhile since you've posted here and from the looks of it you're still up to your same old antics. I find it ironic that you'll make such inane comments here while your beloved United is setting new lows for the business. While jetBlue (with no in-house heavy maintenance capability) may be using TACA to perform a portion of its heavy maintenance work for a growing fleet of aircraft which are coming due for such work, at least it didn't eject legions of its own maintenance employees and shutdown a large domestic overhaul facility after sucking it for all the tax benefits which the locals offered it to come in the first place...talk about burning your bridges. There's a lot more but I'm already bored with you and your foolishness and thus have better things to do with my time.

Busdrvr,

Out of curiosity, doesn't UAL outsource some maintenance?

"but noted that United outsources some
tasks it no longer wants to handle at SFO, such as heavy aircraft-body
maintenance, which it sends to Mobile Aerospace, an Alabama company."

Let me know where you want the crow sent to!

Blue Dude said:
Profit sharing is paid annually, but set aside on a quarterly basis. So there will be profit sharing for the first three quarters at least. And who knows, we just might eke out a before tax profit in the 4th quarter also.
[post="241372"][/post]​

Heard a rumor that you cannot bid vacations because staffing is inadequate? Any truth?

Dizel8 said:
Busdrvr,

Out of curiosity, doesn't UAL outsource some maintenance?

"but noted that United outsources some
tasks it no longer wants to handle at SFO, such as heavy aircraft-body
maintenance, which it sends to Mobile Aerospace, an Alabama company."

Let me know where you want the crow sent to!
[post="241738"][/post]​

Apparently your limited route structure is contributing to a lack of knowledge concerning geography. Just so you know, Alabama is part of the U.S. I even have their quarter. UAL has started outsourcing some MX and plans to do more, AS A RESULT OF THE COST ADVANTAGE OTHER AIRLINES GAINED FROM IT. If it weren't for corner cutting outsourcers elsewhere, rest assured UAL would do all labor in house. Prior to BK, UAL had one of the highest, if not highest mechanic to jet ratio's in the industry, and likely STILL has one of the highest. Higher than Blue I'll wager. Unfortunately, Ma Kettle will B@#@tch and moan about pa's job going to India while waiting to board a Blu jet that just had heavy done by Taco.

Latest posts