5 Years Ago

Aug 20, 2002
First(before some questions), I want (very much) to say a prayer for all of our AAers, lost 5 years ago ! ! !

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

A few questions.

Given the fact that DFW had more gates, than RON a/c, that west coast "red eye", trans-cons were well east of DFW,that a lot of originating flts. west of DFW (MST/PST) had not departed for DFW, "Did AA/DFW have enough gates for AA/Flts. forced to land" ??

NH/BB's

First(before some questions), I want (very much) to say a prayer for all of our AAers, lost 5 years ago ! ! !

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

A few questions.

Given the fact that DFW had more gates, than RON a/c, that west coast "red eye", trans-cons were well east of DFW,that a lot of originating flts. west of DFW (MST/PST) had not departed for DFW, "Did AA/DFW have enough gates for AA/Flts. forced to land" ??

NH/BB's

What ya tryin to say "Yankee Bubba" ?

Whether or not there was enough room at DFW is entirely irrelevant. The order was to land IMMEDIATELY and WITHOUT DELAY.

Since there is no way of knowing which other flights may have been targeted (there's still a lot of speculation that at least one other flight had a team onboard), making an arbitrary decision to continue on to a larger airport like DFW could have put even more lives at risk.

"Did AA/DFW have enough gates for AA/Flts. forced to land" ??

NH/BB's
Not enough gates for the amount of planes, but what we did that day was continually taxing planes to the hangar until it was full. At the time we had parking spaces for 29 airplanes at the hangar, but we figured out a way to park around 90 to 100 at the hangar and then started filling up a hardly used taxiway south of the hangar. I can't recall the exact number of planes that stayed those first 3 nights but it wouldn't surprise me if it was over 200 at DFW.

The hardest part was when the operation started to get going again, they would always want the one plane that was buried behind six others for a trip.

Not enough gates for the amount of planes, but what we did that day was continually taxing planes to the hangar until it was full. At the time we had parking spaces for 29 airplanes at the hangar, but we figured out a way to park around 90 to 100 at the hangar and then started filling up a hardly used taxiway south of the hangar. I can't recall the exact number of planes that stayed those first 3 nights but it wouldn't surprise me if it was over 200 at DFW.

The hardest part was when the operation started to get going again, they would always want the one plane that was buried behind six others for a trip.

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Thanx AMFAMAN,

All I was trying to do (with my question) was to get a picture of what was happening locally, at AA's biggest hub/airport, on that unbelievable day !

NH/BB's

Back