737-300 Retirement?

Aug 20, 2002
Can someone with access to DECS verify that the -300 is no longer operated in revenue service. Or when the last flight will run?

USAir and Southwest were launch customers --- almost 30 years ago!

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Boeing-(USAir)/Boeing-737-3B7/0007968/&sid=c32f98fb66d9d63b7461d1a243e42417

I believe that the last flight took place yesterday, and A/C 530 was ferried to MIA afterwards.

It was a good aircraft, and served its purpose for a long time. They became run down because the company decided not to invest much into them since they were slated for retirement. The DC-9 fleet was very well kept in and out, and they could have flown them for many more years as NW did.
I worked the first PI 733 to enter scheduled service, so this is really making me feel old.

The 737-300 was a great aircraft for its time. I flew them when they were new, and after years in the -200 version, I was amazed at the comfort, quiet and power.

Those old workhorses, like the 737, the DC9 and the 727 could continue to fly for ages, but now we see them retired after only about 30 years.

Airbuses are criticized for being "throw away" airplanes, and they sell more cheaply than the Boeings. But passenger airlines need to retire their fleets after a few decades anyway because older airplanes are invariably less efficient, more expensive to maintain and can't compete with XXX Airline's newest fleet.

Why pay extra to buy an airplane that will last 50+ years when fiscal and competitive realities will force you to get rid of them in 30 years?

Tin mouse, Maggot, Pocket Rocket Socket, Light Twin, Baby Boeing, Fat Freddy, Guppy, Thunder Guppy (series 1/200), Yuppy Guppy, Super Guppy (series 3/4/500), Pig, Bobby (BOeing BaBY), Fat Albert.

Back