763 catches fire at ORD; everyone evacuated, several minor injuries

I recall a 76 out in LA a few years back that burned up too. Un-contained turbine disk fail ruptured the fuel tank and caught the thing on fire.

I recall a 76 out in LA a few years back that burned up too. Un-contained turbine disk fail ruptured the fuel tank and caught the thing on fire.
Yep, I remember that one too. -200 if I remember correctly. Let go during an engine run.

Us air also had a turbine disk let go back in late 90s or early 2000s in PHL if I remember right. That was a 767-200.

A JT-9 coughs, a CF-6 pukes.

Pratt philosophy (back in the day) seems to have been to build a stronger/heavier engine without as much bleed control, while GE went lighter with more finesse and control.

"Official: Plane in Chicago had 'uncontained engine failure"

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/no-injuries-plane-fire-evacuation-chicago-airport-201319994.html

Interesting side note: AA Flight 383 was a fatal crash on 11/8/1965:

American Airlines Flight 383 was a nonstop flight from New York City to Cincinnati on November 8, 1965.[1]:1 The aircraft was a Boeing 727, with 57 passengers, and 5 crew on board.[1]:1 The aircraft crashed on approach to the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport. Only three passengers and one flight attendant survived the crash.[1]:5

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Airlines_Flight_383_(1965)

Last edited:
I have heard, without confirmation, a tire blew and the engine ate the tire? Could have had something to do with an aborted take-off or a Brake??

Well, lets carry this one a step further. Aircraft incidents happen in 3s right? 1rst you got Pences airplane going off the end of the runway, then AAs 76 with un-contained engine fail, then FedEx collapsed a main gear on an 11, all in 2-3 days.

Maybe someone should "drop a dime" to the FAA and the NTSB and let them know there might be a problem with those turbine disks.

what happens if the A/C in in the air when that happens? is it survivable?