763 catches fire at ORD; everyone evacuated, several minor injuries

what happens if the A/C in in the air when that happens? is it survivable?
Further comments are always welcome, but the engine is designed in most cases to contain the failure. You would have to correspond with GE to get an actual statement. It is my understanding that the aircraft are designed to continue in flight on one engine, but each case is unique, This incident could have been different in flight. The flight crew has procedures and training to deal with these incidents.

what happens if the A/C in in the air when that happens? is it survivable?
The CF6 on UA232 was the tail engine on a DC10.
185 out of 296 survived.
JMHO,
If the CF6 blew in flight, it would depend on if the debris punctured the wing fuel bladder while on fire, in that case, it would be an UN-survivable event as the fire would render flight controls inoperative and flight surfaces would disintegrate.

I am certainly no expert and I would love to hear from someone here that is.

However, I believe Tom Hanks should play Training Captain Finch on a UA 232 film.
xUT

Reactions: robbedagain
dvlhog, that is the best idea I've heard on the subject. The locks could be activated by a switch in the cockpit; so, the flight attendants wouldn't have to explain why they can't get their Louis Vuitton brief case out of the overhead bin next to their LV 22-in roller board. "I'm Executive Platinum. I'm allowed to bring anything on board I want to, and I put it all in the overhead bins. I'm allergic to having anything at my feet.." :p