767's & MD80's

chilokie1

Senior
May 11, 2005
Has anybody heard that a few of the 767-300's are going to be put back into service?
I heard that and that AA has received a one year extension on flying the MD80 without
the nitrogen tank mod, It makes sense with the cheap fuel prices to keep flying it.

chilokie1 said:
Has anybody heard that a few of the 767-300's are going to be put back into service?
I heard that and that AA has received a one year extension on flying the MD80 without
the nitrogen tank mod, It makes sense with the cheap fuel prices to keep flying it.

I never understood why we are so worried about the longevity of B757s out of PHX to HNL, when AA has available B763s. Those HNL flights are usually pretty full, and cargo is maxed out. Would be possible to bulk load them without ULDs?

AA's fleet plan filed does not show the MD80s staying longer nor the return of any 763s.

http://airwaysnews.com/blog/2016/01/29/american-airlines-2016-fleet/

Boeing 767-300ER: 14 767-300ERs will be retired in 2016. Five are scheduled to be retired during the first quarter, and five more will be retired in the third quarter. Additionally, four more will be retired during the fourth quarter of 2016. By the end of the year, American will have 31 767-300ERs in its fleet.

McDonnell Douglas MD-80: 61 MD-80 aircraft will be retired this year, and American plans to retire the remainder of the fleet by the end of 2017. Four are to be retired during the first quarter while six will be retired during the second quarter. Retirements will accelerate during the second half of the year as American plans to retire 37 during the third quarter and 14 in the fourth quarter. At the end of 2016, American will have 36 MD-80s in its fleet.

Reactions: 2 people
Translated from Management-speak into English..."We haven't decided yet how much of Tulsa's work will be outsourced to somewhere south of the border."
Yep, I agree. The clock is ticking.

Reactions: 1 person
The question was not the long term plans of TULE, the question was will some 767's be re-entered into service
and some delayed from retirement (including some MD80's). I appreciate the fleet plan story 700 but that can
change when the aircraft scheduled to replace them have delivery & reliability issues, and that is what we are
hearing. 

Jester said:
I never understood why we are so worried about the longevity of B757s out of PHX to HNL, when AA has available B763s. Those HNL flights are usually pretty full, and cargo is maxed out. Would be possible to bulk load them without ULDs?
I'm not positive, but I think the answer to your question is the pilot combined seniority list issue; the MOU provided that all PHX-HI flying belonged to the LUS West pilots, and they can't fly 763s yet. And LAA pilots can't fly PHX-HI. So until the arbitration is complete, PHX-HI can only be flown with West pilots in 757s. After the arbitration, that issue may go away, depending on fences, etc.

Heard that DFW is going go to have about 30 of them retire all within in one week in summer.

Jester said:
The word is that PHX -Hawaii is going smaller gauge, not bigger . 737 MAX, when they get here.

Reactions: 1 person
Sounds about right. Parker said PHX was going to be a 737 hub and the bus was moving to Dallas.

chilokie1 said:
Id be pretty shocked if this happened. Other airlines have asked and have been given a very firm no. 

having said that, when do you guys wind down JT8D overhauls? 

Also heard a rumor from a friend that you guys are going to start CFM56-5B overhauls to replace JT8D and CF6 volume lost and keep you in scope compliance, have you heard anything about that?

We are done with JT8 overhauls but we are pretty busy with flyover inspections and check & repair work.
The CF6 shop had a mini surge which prompted the question, we have heard lots of rumors regarding the 
CFM56-5 & the V2500 but that is all just rumors.