7AT AT ORD

Pack burn?
Kev either you're not a mechanic or have never worked on an MD-80. This is not a put down. A pack burn is when you try to burn out contamination from the air conditioning system usually fine on MD-80.

Used to do them on DC-9's. Burn (put the pack control in full heat mode) to remove oil contamination or to thaw them (socks) after freezing up.

Last edited:
Well, this is a case where people that aren't affiliated with the "Tech Ops" organization haven't any idea what a "pack burn " is. Its not your fault that you don't know, why would you, you don't work on planes.

Let me just give a brief overview:

This term is associated with MD80s. Because of the location of the APU air inlet on an 80, the air conditioning system is subject to oil contamination because the APU will ingest the oil. and when this happens you get smoke in the cabin or hydraulic fluid smells. There is a work card or procedure to super heat the packs to burn all the oil residue out.

The 777 on the other hand is 20-30 years advanced from the 80, thus, it doesn't suffer the problems 80 packs suffer. It doesn't get "pack burns".

Now, I am a Conehead, and as such may not have a complete grasp on the facts regarding pack burns and fleet types that use them, but I'm pretty sure there is no such procedure on a triple.

I suspect the OPs intention was to illuminate the ignorance of the manager that wanted to do such a procedure on a triple. This stems from that fact that most experienced mechanics aren’t interested in going into management because of the way they are treated. If you’re a good one you get fired, a bad one and you advance. It has been this way for many years. As a result, a lot of management has had very little time actually working on a large transport category plane. Some have none and there is a general “dumbing down” with management.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas cone head. Thanks for picking up the slack. Pretty much explains the whole situation. And I'm pretty sure there's no procedure for burning out 5-10 gallons of skydrol put into the air side of the system on a 777. I think the manager thought he would try something new because they know more than us lowly mechanics.

Dallas cone head. Thanks for picking up the slack. Pretty much explains the whole situation. And I'm pretty sure there's no procedure for burning out 5-10 gallons of skydrol put into the air side of the system on a 777. I think the manager thought he would try something new because they know more than us lowly mechanics.

Now I understand the gist of the OP. Amazing.

Not sure what the issue was with 7AT but the AMM has a procedure for removing oil contamination from air conditioning and pneumatic systems, it also mentions "pack burn". Engine and APU procedures.

Task 21-00-01-100-801 777 AMM

Oil Contamination Removal from Air Conditioning and Pneumatic Systems

Well, it's in TULE now having pneumatic ducting\components removed and cleaned or replaced. Heard the person who serviced it was fired.

Not sure what the issue was with 7AT but the AMM has a procedure for removing oil contamination from air conditioning and pneumatic systems, it also mentions "pack burn". Engine and APU procedures.

Task 21-00-01-100-801 777 AMM

Oil Contamination Removal from Air Conditioning and Pneumatic Systems
Pretty sure this procedure is not intended to burn out 5-10 gallons of skydrol.

Reactions: 1AA
What will it take for all AMT'S to perform maintenance I.A.W. the appropriate manuals and procedures? I understand sometimes your caught up in the moment and a supervisor or other members of management will give a directive contrary to procedures. Make sure a witness is with you if such a event occurs.

Still OTS in TUL. Failed FCF. I hope the guys in ORD that did the original burn are ok I heard the cabin had a lot of smoke and fog.
Goey