A/C Maintenance F/T, O/T, Shift Rules & Vacation system wide

If it gets that bad this is not the end of the world. There are other jobs. Aviation is not so great. We work for low pay,crappy health insurance that we pay into, travel benefits that we can't use because the flights are oversold, we work holidays, we work weekends, midnight shift is guaranteed, we take responsibility everyime we sign a log book. We have to do all kinds of training and the airlines never make money and constantly file bankruptcy and blame the employees. Someone on here please tell me what is so great about aviation?

This is post 9-11. Aviation !!! It wasn't always like this. Unions fought long and hard to make this a respectable career. I don't blame my union the fault is with the membership.
How many members were at your last local lodge meeting?

Every Mechanic wants the $$$$$ but won't do the work to get it.

Reactions: 1 person
This is post 9-11. Aviation !!! It wasn't always like this. Unions fought long and hard to make this a respectable career. I don't blame my union the fault is with the membership.
How many members were at your last local lodge meeting?

Every Mechanic wants the $$$$$ but won't do the work to get it.

N617P

This is true every mechanic wants the money, but long before 9-11 the industrial unions gave away the $$$ and vacation and yrs of service to be vested toward retirement. Holidays, 2.5X, sick time, etc...pensions. Many including myself have had to start over and over loosing everything every time another carrier went out of business, or Boeing/Douglas/Lockheed lost a government contract.

How many times under the IAM did the CAL employees take a hit.

Under the IAM what did the USAir employees loose?

UAL under the IAM lost pension in the ESOP scam.

Eastern under the IAM went on strike and employees lost it all there. ( I was one)

NWA under AMFA lost in its strike to prevent the corporate greed that the Airlines have used to devalue our class and craft. IAM crossed that picket line.

UAL under IAM let Indy and SFO start to be closed, and which under AMFA couldn't and did not stop.

Under the TWU@AA they have let the company come up with the jr program, 12yrs to top out, signed a 1% pay raise over a 6 yr period. Cafeteria medical plan, on and on the TWU has failed here at AA.

When yr after yr the unions of the airlines keep loosing we as AMT's get tired of going to the union meetings. We pay dues, and listening to the we will get em next time speeches, just gets old. The industrial unions cater to the ramp and stores, due to the vast numbers. Its all about the money. (dues)

The top positions of the IBT any Aircraft maintenance leaders there? "No" truckers
What about the TWU, bus drivers again no aircraft maintenance there.

AMFA is the only union around at this time that represents ailine mechanics. If there was another we then would have a choice. But until then AMFA is the way we want to go.

When the industrial union intl.s (example-IAM/IBT/TWU) makes the decisions during the negotiations and the local officers have NO real power, why go to union meetings. Nothing said or even voted on ever gets changed. When you give up so much over your career it is all about the money available to put away since union did not fight for the medical and pensions of the workers. Snap back clauses and retro pay are ways in which they could of shown they care about the workers but they let that go as well.

Your Union is which one?

Your unions membership is at fault why?

What have YOU done to better your Union and help the members?

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry 700, but you are correct about the 2nd Chap 11 where the judge gutted the rest of our contract..........Sorry!!!!

At US the sick policy is still 1/2 pay for 1st 3 days unless you have 100 sick days on the books. If your over 100 sick days its full pay. So new hires are screwed for their 1st 10 + years. You can accrue up to 150 sick days max, at 10 per year, after that you don't accrue, so the obvious key is if you ever reach that level let your street smarts take over.
We do have a lot of nice perks in our current IAM contract that need to stay when the remaining contracts are transitioned together by whatever union is at the helm. Shift swaps MUST stay for sure.

At AA you would need 20 years of perfect attendance to have 100 days of sick time in the bank.

We would need 30 years of perfect attendance to max out our sick bank which is 1200 like you.

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry 700, but you are correct about the 2nd Chap 11 where the judge gutted the rest of our contract..........Sorry!!!!

They "gutted the rest" but you still get double time, holidays and twice as much sick time as we do!

It seems that your contract after two rounds of BK is better ours was before we even got out of the first round.

At AA you would need 20 years of perfect attendance to have 100 days of sick time in the bank.

We would need 30 years of perfect attendance to max out our sick bank which is 1200 like you.
I am and have been maxed out for years but I still get half pay. Also in TUL (AMTs only) must go get counciled from a member of management who's sole purpose is to harrass AMTs for calling in sick. Of course the TWU is ok with this since stores or fleet don't have to do this. Oh yeah. They get full sick pay.

Reactions: 1 person
Does American have station seniority? If so how would mechanics who suffer a base closing be affected and how do the bids system work?

Does American have station seniority? If so how would mechanics who suffer a base closing be affected and how do the bids system work?
typically what you hear from the twu is" they can do that brother" ESPECIALLY if it involves something for one of the connected union brothers!

Guys, Guys, Guys this thread has wondered. I was trying to get input from all AA stations if the new rules the TWU agreed to are the same for all stations.

1) O/T rules
2) F/T rules
3) Shift bid duration 6,3,4 months or 1 year.
4) Fixed days off or rotating days off.
5) Vacation selection process (one round pick all or rotation picks)
6) Anything else you can add.

I am and have been maxed out for years but I still get half pay. Also in TUL (AMTs only) must go get counciled from a member of management who's sole purpose is to harrass AMTs for calling in sick. Of course the TWU is ok with this since stores or fleet don't have to do this. Oh yeah. They get full sick pay.
Slight correction OldGuy, fleet does have to report to a member of management for their harassment session upon their return to work.You are correct though in your full pay comment.

Latest posts