( A few) PHX questions Pleeeeease !

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
Like almost all Old Farts, the snow and cold finally takes it's toll. (Yes, it happens to Ol ' BEARS too.) (I know, I know they hibernate. ). But the time is drawing ever closer for a Hot, yet Zero HUMIDITY climate. That obviously = A Z. (Besides, the opportunity to reside in the SAME state as Eric..eolesen is very tempting, VERY Tempting.) ( Ha Ha Ha ).
So now, a few PHX questions please.
In PHX, @ sky harbor, in Terminal 4, What contractor(s) provide sevices to AA and WN ? More specifically in the job titles of 'Passenger Assistants', like in directing passengers, navigating Kiosks, Wheel Chair 'drivers' ( $$$$ ), and finally Cabin cleaning ?
Lastly, is PHX 'shrinking' as an AA Hub, as some have prognosticated ?

Thanx in advance !!!

First off, you know that you will be told "It's a dry heat. You won't feel it." WRONG! When it's 110 F and the lack of moisture in the air is sucking the fluid out of your body, you will feel it. At least, I know I did.

The company insists that they are not closing PHX; however, I know that DFW f/as are flying more and more (what I would call) PHX trips. DFW-PDX-PHX-SNA-DFW kind of trips. And, some of these are left over from the America West days and they have not many passengers on them. I don't see the company continuing to fly these routes just for the glory. Does that mean they are going to de-hub PHX. Not necessarily. There is talk that it will become an rj base more and more. This will take some of the rj flying pressure off of LAX. But, I don't think any of us outside of Centreport really know their plans for PHX.

Let's not forget, everyone said with certainty for several years that STL's days were numbered. STL (called SLT to differentiate between former TWA St. Louis and AA St.Louis) is still there. Severely reduced in size, but still there.

First off, you know that you will be told "It's a dry heat. You won't feel it." WRONG! When it's 110 F and the lack of moisture in the air is sucking the fluid out of your body, you will feel it. At least, I know I did.

The company insists that they are not closing PHX; however, I know that DFW f/as are flying more and more (what I would call) PHX trips. DFW-PDX-PHX-SNA-DFW kind of trips. And, some of these are left over from the America West days and they have not many passengers on them. I don't see the company continuing to fly these routes just for the glory. Does that mean they are going to de-hub PHX. Not necessarily. There is talk that it will become an rj base more and more. This will take some of the rj flying pressure off of LAX. But, I don't think any of us outside of Centreport really know their plans for PHX.

Let's not forget, everyone said with certainty for several years that STL's days were numbered. STL (called SLT to differentiate between former TWA St. Louis and AA St.Louis) is still there. Severely reduced in size, but still there.
Hmm I pulled up an RGG for PHX mainline despite it being early March the loads look pretty good to me. Some of your points are valid but I think you are still harping on a leg you worked that had low passenger counts

Like almost all Old Farts, the snow and cold finally takes it's toll. (Yes, it happens to Ol ' BEARS too.) (I know, I know they hibernate. ). But the time is drawing ever closer for a Hot, yet Zero HUMIDITY climate. That obviously = A Z. (Besides, the opportunity to reside in the SAME state as Eric..eolesen is very tempting, VERY Tempting.) ( Ha Ha Ha ).
In PHX, @ sky harbor, in Terminal 4, What contractor(s) provide sevices to AA and WN ? More specifically in the job titles of 'Passenger Assistants', like in directing passengers, navigating Kiosks, Wheel Chair 'drivers' ( $$$$ ), and finally Cabin cleaning ?

Thanx in advance !!!
Hey Black bear with your liberal thinking might as well go a few hundred miles south of PHX Bwwaaaa Maybe you could help build sewers. All kidding aside Gilbert is supposed to me a great area

Last edited:
Hmm I pulled up an RGG for PHX mainline despite it being early March the loads look pretty good to me. Some of your points are valid but I think you are still harping on a leg you worked that had low passenger counts
I have flown into and out of PHX on several occasions over the past few months. Not one flight was full. And, some of the loads wouldn't have filled an rj, much less a 738. I have a dinner flight Friday night from PHX. At this point there are 2 First Class passengers booked, 100 passengers in coach on a 160-seat aircraft.. There are 3 738s and an A321 on the 4 flights Friday to that destination. Not one of them is even yellow in the NRTP. There are at least 40 empty seats on every flight. But, then what would I know. I only work on these flights.

If he/she means Preferential Bidding, that is not going to happen within the next year mpre than likely. We are a lot further from FOI (full operational integration) than we had been led to believe. The contracts, the work procedures, and the airplanes themselves are too different to just jump into flying together.

We all, on both sides of the aisle, must be trained in aircraft differences. That's training 20,000+ flight attendants. It may take only a day's training. Who knows? But, it's still 20,000+ trainees. And, all of the LAA flight attendants have to be trained in Pref Bidding. That is not going to be a slam dunk walk in the park. (It will take a week just to get some of the f/as to understand that, no you will not have a 60 page bid sheet to look at and make your trip selections. :))

Last edited:
Bears, I left AZ a couple years ago when I came back into working directly for an airline, so it's safe for you to move there if you want.

Of all the places we've lived as a family, Arizona is where everyone would return in a heartbeat. We spent a lot of time up in PHX but TUS was a better place to live. Temps weren't as extreme as PHX because it's at 2700 ft or higher. You'd also find Pima County more aligned with your political leanings.

110F isn't so bad as long as you're hydrated and not in the direct sun for too long. The key is staying hydrated. I was at QuikTrip twice a day for iced tea refills, and always had a Nalgene bottle around with water.

Can't speak to the future of PHX for AA, but there will always be a tourism industry there. Rental car companies might be suffering a bit from Uber, but golf and hotels still do great. Once the wall goes up and the Obamacare mandate for part time insurance is repealed, I suspect there will be lots of job growth, especially for retirees.

Thanx in advance !!!

I do not know what contractors SWA uses for passenger assistance. But to expand a little on the PHX airport and growth. SWA just announced some big news in PHX. Adding more gates in term. 4 and doubling the maintenance hangars from 2 bays to 4, which means they will be hiring for some new mechanics. PHX seems to be a very busy hub for AA and SWA. Do you think AA might be juggling some aircraft and flights to get ready for the up coming summer boom of travel? Don't know if we would catch up to AA or even maybe pass AA as far as the number of flights out of PHX, but I don't see PHX turning into a STL. Very different demographics involved. The fall of TWA is what assisted in the passengers flooding over to SWA instead of over to AA in STL. I hope PHX does not turn into a STL as the competition always helps keep the fares down. Here's the article on SWA's expansion...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...outhwest-airlines-expanding-phoenix/98933476/

I have flown into and out of PHX on several occasions over the past few months. Not one flight was full. And, some of the loads wouldn't have filled an rj, much less a 738. I have a dinner flight Friday night from PHX. At this point there are 2 First Class passengers booked, 100 passengers in coach on a 160-seat aircraft.. There are 3 738s and an A321 on the 4 flights Friday to that destination. Not one of them is even yellow in the NRTP. There are at least 40 empty seats on every flight. But, then what would I know. I only work on these flights.
Jim you must be flying to Bizarro PHX . YTD Load factors PHX (81.5) DFW(79.0) ORD (79.7) CLT (78.3)of course revenue is a different animal

Bears, I left AZ a couple years ago when I came back into working directly for an airline, so it's safe for you to move there if you want.

Of all the places we've lived as a family, Arizona is where everyone would return in a heartbeat. We spent a lot of time up in PHX but TUS was a better place to live. Temps weren't as extreme as PHX because it's at 2700 ft or higher. You'd also find Pima County more aligned with your political leanings.

110F isn't so bad as long as you're hydrated and not in the direct sun for too long. The key is staying hydrated. I was at QuikTrip twice a day for iced tea refills, and always had a Nalgene bottle around with water.

Can't speak to the future of PHX for AA, but there will always be a tourism industry there. Rental car companies might be suffering a bit from Uber, but golf and hotels still do great. Once the wall goes up and the Obamacare mandate for part time insurance is repealed, I suspect there will be lots of job growth, especially for retirees.

Thanx E, it was TUS that I was really looking at. Imagine the ol' BEAR hustling old ladies around in wheelchairs, or perhaps a skycap, even shuttling rent-a-cars around. What Airline ARE you working for now ? (A PM will do.) Regards to Ms. E !

Thanx E, it was TUS that I was really looking at. Imagine the ol' BEAR hustling old ladies around in wheelchairs, or perhaps a skycap, even shuttling rent-a-cars around. What Airline ARE you working for now ? (A PM will do.) Regards to Ms. E !
Might as well try to stay in the AC

Latest posts