( A few) PHX questions Pleeeeease !

Interesting news (rumor?) that LAX terminals will have major construction forcing AA to move some flights out and not into PHX, but to LAS instead??? If true, not sure what that says about PHX if instead the Company would prefer to go point-to-point from LAS than to run through the PHX hub.
Would never happen, DFW has been remodeling for the last three years, if a 4-5 gates closed, they just added to the open ones. The idea that LAX would divert flights to someplace else is the dumbest thing I had ever heard.

Last edited:
Interesting news (rumor?) that LAX terminals will have major construction forcing AA to move some flights out and not into PHX, but to LAS instead??? If true, not sure what that says about PHX if instead the Company would prefer to go point-to-point from LAS than to run through the PHX hub.

Jester, from my experience with rumors in PHX, I can guarantee that is 100% BS (still patiently waiting for the 777s to LHR, the new international concourse to replace LAX, and the outsourcing of the entire hub to Swissport). If construction becomes that disruptive, they're more likely to trim the flight schedule and upgauge before they'd ever consider adding temporary P2P from a spoke.

Would never happen, DFW has been remodeling for the last three years, if a 4-5 gates closed, they just added to the open ones. The idea that LAX would divert flights to someplace else is the dumbest thing I had ever heard.

Jester, from my experience with rumors in PHX, I can guarantee that is 100% BS (still patiently waiting for the 777s to LHR, the new international concourse to replace LAX, and the outsourcing of the entire hub to Swissport). If construction becomes that disruptive, they're more likely to trim the flight schedule and upgauge before they'd ever consider adding temporary P2P from a spoke.

So the story goes and probably where I think there is some element of truth to the whole deal... a slew of CCs/Leads met last week for a few days in DFW with high-level suits to bounce off ideas for better metrics/efficiencies, new equipment coming down the line, safety issues, etc., and this topic was supposedly mentioned, as well, by one of the Corporate types in-front of all of these people.

Now as my dance card was punched last week, I was not there so I cannot say for a certainty of what was said... so maybe someone who reads this Board might be able to verify?

So the story goes and probably where I think there is some element of truth to the whole deal... a slew of CCs/Leads met last week for a few days in DFW with high-level suits to bounce off ideas for better metrics/efficiencies, new equipment coming down the line, safety issues, etc., and this topic was supposedly mentioned, as well, by one of the Corporate types in-front of all of these people.

Now as my dance card was punched last week, I was not there so I cannot say for a certainty of what was said... so maybe someone who reads this Board might be able to verify?
After 9/11 they moved the DCA shuttles flights to IAD for obvious reasons. It didn't work. I say this rumor doesn't make any sense

Maybe PHX isn't going anywhere, but AA appears to be going somewhere else...

"American's decline in passengers has carried over into this year. In January, the most recent month available, the carrier's passenger counts fell 4.6 percent. The airline has added flights to several smaller destinations, including Bullhead City and Santa Rosa, Calif.

Southwest Airlines is among the bright spots at Sky Harbor. The airline, the airport's second largest carrier with more than 170 daily non-stop flights, saw passenger counts in Phoenix increase 2.5 percent last year, and they rose again in January."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/trav...or-falls-out-top-10-airport-ranking/99692538/

The problem with the AZ Republic's reporting is they're ignorant... Once again, there's zero mention of Mesa-Williams.

Westjet and Allegiant are soaking up the lower tier travelers over at AZA. That easily accounts for the drops AA is seeing. I'm sure AA's yields are doing better as a result.