A.M.F.A. support at the line stations?

A&P mechanic may or may not be in abundance.

But they e is one issue that has become obvious and that is American is hiring very few, partially because no one wants to work for new hire wages with little or no benefits.

The number of newly-minted A&P licenses is irrelevant to the number of certificated domestic MROs. More relevant would be the total number of license holders in the USA, and there are far more than 4,000. Didn't you previously post that the total number exceeds 100,000?

To be sure, the number of new A&P license holders probably isn't enough to replace those who retire, die or leave aviation to fix machines that don't fly, but that doesn't prove the number of licensed repair stations.

The TWU-supporter has provided the source for the 4,000+ number.
As of last year there were ~2,400 MROs but just saying you are an MRO can mean you fix anything from seats to whole aircraft.

FAR 145 repair stations don't need all licensed A&Ps so the number of licensed A&Ps coming out of schools is not that important in the MRO business.

As of last year there were ~2,400 MROs but just saying you are an MRO can mean you fix anything from seats to whole aircraft.

FAR 145 repair stations don't need all licensed A&Ps so the number of licensed A&Ps coming out of schools is not that important in the MRO business.

But then there are those MRO's that the TWU has yet to organize who would allow MRO OSM's.

The number of newly-minted A&P licenses is irrelevant to the number of certificated domestic MROs. More relevant would be the total number of license holders in the USA, and there are far more than 4,000. Didn't you previously post that the total number exceeds 100,000?

To be sure, the number of new A&P license holders probably isn't enough to replace those who retire, die or leave aviation to fix machines that don't fly, but that doesn't prove the number of licensed repair stations.

And why doesn't the Industial Unions go and organize all 4000 of them?
Because they are too busy making political yard signs for the next back stabbing politician.

Bob Owens,

Here is a Memorandum in part issued Dec 16, 2010.

"In recent years, major U.S. airlines have steadily increased their use of contract repair stations to perform aircraft maintenance. Between 2000 and 2009, airlines increased their maintenance outsource spending by more than $1.1 billion. Forecasts show that the maintenance, repair, and overhaul industry will grow annually by 4.4 percent over the next 10 years, yielding a market value of between $50 billion to $65 billion for this segment of the aviation industry. These upward trends are expected to continue as airlines continue to cut maintenance costs and increase profitability."

You can find many more relative articles by visiting the DOT Office of Inspector General web page.

http://www.oig.dot.g...brary-item/5228

Scroll to the bottom and find related library items or go to the main page and research for yourself.

For many years I tried to get AMFA to get involved in the several debates surrounding the issues of increased MRO's. They refused to believe or even read the reports because it cut in to their go it alone philosophies. The association has truly put themselves in to a boxed corner as an ant in the world of giants. Their vision is an unrealistic one believing a small craft only Union can stop the swell of outsourcing. Their only recourse is in modifying agreements to give in and allow MRO's to do more and more work. But when do they stop? These reports of outsourcing are something that every other airline except AA has been dealing with increasingly since 2001. Unfortunately, it appears as you all are in the line of fire now just like the rest of us. I am truly sorry about that.

Why is it that you only look at AMFA here at AA we have closed MCI and are getting ready to close AFW the company has outsourced cfm-56's and 757 not to mention all the line work done in foreign countries. The IAM lost jobs and outsourcing occured at U.S. Airways the IBT has not delivered on the promises they made to oust AMFA from UAL and have lost jobs but you look at only AMFA they are adding a line in DAL and rumor has it they are opening up DEN for maintenance but they are the bad guys as far as being a ant goes if we join them they will no longer be small so what your point.

By the way nice job ignoring my last post about McCormick and Dell. Truth is your post are alot like a Texas Steer there is a point here and a point there and a whole lotta BULL in the middle.

Reactions: 1 person

IIRC, to repair an airline component (engine blade, indicator, etc...) requires an FAR 145 repair license.
Are all these repair stations MRO's? Technically yes, but only a few do HMV or much less in onesey/twosey type work.
JMHO&PO,
B) xUT

IIRC, to repair an airline component (engine blade, indicator, etc...) requires an FAR 145 repair license.
Are all these repair stations MRO's? Technically yes, but only a few do HMV or much less in onesey/twosey type work.
JMHO&PO,
B) xUT

Or to meet Americans" revenue ready" requirements.

Anomaly,

You don't work at AA, you have worked on a/c for 27 years and you defend the twu. You appear out of no where after the AMFA drive starts and CAN NOT explain why the twu international officers are appointed NOT elected by the membership. You CAN NOT explain why when the membership takes pay cuts twu international officers do not. You are a tool. You can only attempt to misdirect with half truths and lies. If you aren't working at AA why not identify yourself?

Fair enough (although you can loose the name calling). I am currently a line mechanic at United Airlines. I am and have always been involved in the Union and have been a steward most of my career. I have never served or been part of any executive board nor have I ever held an officer position for any of the three Unions including the current one. I do not think they would have me any way. I support Unionism, but mostly support the right to speak out against your leadership. Of the three Unions I have belonged to, none can be categorized as perfect. The IAM disappointed many, and AMFA simply shocked us. We expected so much more, but all we got was petty fighting between the locals. It was not long before we had enough and overwhelmingly voted in our third Union. Many of my co-workers were not super excited about the Teamsters, but so far they have proven to be the most worthwhile. My posts, while you may not like them, are true first hand and true accounts of what I have experienced.

Why is it that you only look at AMFA here at AA we have closed MCI and are getting ready to close AFW the company has outsourced cfm-56's and 757 not to mention all the line work done in foreign countries. The IAM lost jobs and outsourcing occured at U.S. Airways the IBT has not delivered on the promises they made to oust AMFA from UAL and have lost jobs but you look at only AMFA they are adding a line in DAL and rumor has it they are opening up DEN for maintenance but they are the bad guys as far as being a ant goes if we join them they will no longer be small so what your point.

By the way nice job ignoring my last post about McCormick and Dell. Truth is your post are alot like a Texas Steer there is a point here and a point there and a whole lotta BULL in the middle.

Mr Pit, or is it Bull? I am not sure what you are asking. You lost me. The point of my post is to display the overwhelming odds against ALL of us airline employed mechanics. The passengers main concern is the ticket price overall, and lower maintenance costs help them achieve their desires. Before you freak, I am not saying I like it or agree, I am simply calling it like it is. There are a whole lot of players out their competing for our jobs. Groups like AMFA who are intend on dividing do not help.

And why doesn't the Industial Unions go and organize all 4000 of them?
Because they are too busy making political yard signs for the next back stabbing politician.

Good question? Why doesn't the mechanics association try and organize these MRO's?

So lets get this straight you are Pro nobody but you are Anti AMFA and you want me to look up the McCormick advisory group but they have not worked with AMFA in years and owe by the way Dell retired and is no longer saleing real estate. I think you need to update your Anti Amfa info you seem to be living in 2003.

CIO is that you?

I have read posts all about the sordid histories of the other Unions you oppose, yet bring up some history on the association and suddenly you cry foul? Your ball, your game.

However, it could be important to know the birth and true meaning of an organization before jumping in to bed with them. Quite simply, regardless of the intentions of the founder, I believe AMFA was funded and exploited by those very airlines they opposed. It is not too much of a stretch to see how an airline could capitalize on a ruptured and confused work group. For years the airlines was unable to penetrate its labor Unions. No matter what they tried, employees and Unions stuck together. Then enter the McCormick Advisory Group. Out of nowhere the money appeared to fund dissident groups like AMFA, American Independent Cockpit Alliance Inc (AICA), Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA), and as many as 20 other groups according to one report; ”McCormick Advisory Group directs the affairs of more than twenty separate associations, including the American Independent Cockpit Alliance (AICA) and the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA)”. – AICA Home page

Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want. But I believe there was a relationship between McCormick and Airline upper management. The point is, we were all weakend from within. The company found a way to inflitrate our ranks and have us turn against each other so they could impose their will without a fight. We were too bust fighting each other to notice our work was heading overseas. Hate to say it, but they found a way to beat us. They are reading these forums too and are lauging about it still.

By the way, last I looked, both Delle and McCormick were still listed as special classified employees of Northwest. Hmmm.

So lets get this straight you are Pro nobody but you are Anti AMFA and you want me to look up the McCormick advisory group but they have not worked with AMFA in years and owe by the way Dell retired and is no longer saleing real estate. I think you need to update your Anti Amfa info you seem to be living in 2003.

CIO is that you?

I have read posts all about the sordid histories of the other Unions you oppose, yet bring up some history on the association and suddenly you cry foul? Your ball, your game.

However, it could be important to know the birth and true meaning of an organization before jumping in to bed with them. Quite simply, regardless of the intentions of the founder, I believe AMFA was funded and exploited by those very airlines they opposed. It is not too much of a stretch to see how an airline could capitalize on a ruptured and confused work group. For years the airlines was unable to penetrate its labor Unions. No matter what they tried, employees and Unions stuck together. Then enter the McCormick Advisory Group. Out of nowhere the money appeared to fund dissident groups like AMFA, American Independent Cockpit Alliance Inc (AICA), Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA), and as many as 20 other groups according to one report; ”McCormick Advisory Group directs the affairs of more than twenty separate associations, including the American Independent Cockpit Alliance (AICA) and the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA)”. – AICA Home page

Call me a conspiracy theorist all you want. But I believe there was a relationship between McCormick and Airline upper management. The point is, we were all weakend from within. The company found a way to inflitrate our ranks and have us turn against each other so they could impose their will without a fight. We were too bust fighting each other to notice our work was heading overseas. Hate to say it, but they found a way to beat us. They are reading these forums too and are lauging about it still.

By the way, last I looked, both Delle and McCormick were still listed as special classified employees of Northwest. Hmmm.

CIO is that you?

A TWU Sympathizer calling AMFA a company Union.

That's funny!

So AMFA has the highest paid AMT's in the transportation industry.
TWU has the lowesty paid AMT's in the transporatation industry.

SO if not for the likes of the TWU Airline Management would gladly pay more?

And AA Management spent over $500,000.00 to defend the TWU during the last AMFA organizing campaign.

And you claim AMFA was created and funded by airline management? Wow that takes the cake, you win.

Reactions: 3 people