A NEW INTERNATIONAL AFA PRESIDENT

Jan 11, 2006
Is anyone in agreement that we need to get P. Friend out of the AFA international office. She is very corrupt and in bed with all of the companies. Quite frankly she doesnt give a rats a** about the flight attendants except that they get their dues in.. This is the whole reason for a 15 day notice to NWA mgmt. - god forbid they actually strike... P. Friend and cronies wouldn't get that new summer vacation home from the dues she is counting on. I say lets get her out and get control, anyone running against her this fall? If so I suggest we all vote against her if we want any of this to get better.

I believe that if there is a strong opponent from United, she'll be out.

The International leaders are very tight. The International VP, George D (who was once the LECP of PIT base of 3,000) is going to retire (and I liked and respected alot) seat is open. There is a knucklehead from USAirways DCA Pres. running for his seat. Hopefully reason will prevail and they don't vote this nut case in. And hopefully, there are enough good people interested in this position to ensure he doesn't get in.

The problem I have found with AFA is that not enough good, intelligent, ehtical people run for office. Some of these LECPs who are also the BOD delegates (all of them) get in office by acclaimation; meaning, no one ran against them.

It is very dangerous to not investigate who is running for these seats whose ability, or lack there of have to negotiate and affect your daily working life and wages as well as future.

Management loves this stuff and loves when a "dummy" weak push-over gets in office.

On a personal note, I was trying to pay my union dues to AFA so I could be considered active in good standing with the union to maybe run against Pat F.But she and her cronies interpreted the Constitution & Bylaws to read that I could not pay dues and be in good standing with the union while on leave of absence...they considered my Vol. furlough as a quit, even though I have recall rights as a furloughee. Conveneintly manipulated the Exec Board of AFA (16 MECPs) to vote her way, and that included my own MECP Mike F. who dominated the discussion (from what I'm told) on a conference call with the exec board to keep me out of AFA, as he viewed me as a threat as well. So, they returned my dues to me. From my understanding, the Exec Board didn't even know the issues regarding the VFLR program and was mislead by Mike F. (East MECP) on the issue.

I have no pity for Pat, or tolerance for the kniving stuff that goes on internally within unions to hold on to seats...as she ran and told someone important that I was overly enthusiastic as a leader...whatever negative crap that means. I just had a reputation for not taking any BS from International or management...so that made me the odd man out and a "loose cannon" they couldn't control.

An example of total incompetence is Council 70 and Council 41 DCA whose leaders should not be in office due to incompetence and power playing manuevers to control. As an LECP, you are automatically a voting delegate on the AFA BOD. The DCA President is thinking he is so qualified from running a base of 300 at U, that he can now be a spokes person for all of the AFA International as a VP candidate. And the very point I make above is he is one of those candidates who ran in DCA last election and ran unopposed. So, again by acclamation, he became President of DCA and a voting member of the fragile MEC. And if no one runs against Pat, she will reclaim the seat the same way.

What a joke.

MOD NOTE:

This thread is not specific to US Airways or any particular airline so it has been moved to the watercooler.

Thank you,

Richard

Unfortunately moderators...

This thread will no longer have the hits or activity because of where you moved it.

That's unfortunate. I believe it needs to go back to USAirways as there are candidates running for International from USAirways who have delusions that they qualify for these seats.

PIT,

The link to this thread remains on the US board. The topic, however is not specific enough to US to remain there. There will still be visibility over there.

Thank you.

I believe that if there is a strong opponent from United, she'll be out.

The International leaders are very tight. The International VP, George D (who was once the LECP of PIT base of 3,000) is going to retire (and I liked and respected alot) seat is open. There is a knucklehead from USAirways DCA Pres. running for his seat. Hopefully reason will prevail and they don't vote this nut case in. And hopefully, there are enough good people interested in this position to ensure he doesn't get in.

The problem I have found with AFA is that not enough good, intelligent, ehtical people run for office. Some of these LECPs who are also the BOD delegates (all of them) get in office by acclaimation; meaning, no one ran against them.

It is very dangerous to not investigate who is running for these seats whose ability, or lack there of have to negotiate and affect your daily working life and wages as well as future.

Management loves this stuff and loves when a "dummy" weak push-over gets in office.

On a personal note, I was trying to pay my union dues to AFA so I could be considered active in good standing with the union to maybe run against Pat F.But she and her cronies interpreted the Constitution & Bylaws to read that I could not pay dues and be in good standing with the union while on leave of absence...they considered my Vol. furlough as a quit, even though I have recall rights as a furloughee. Conveneintly manipulated the Exec Board of AFA (16 MECPs) to vote her way, and that included my own MECP Mike F. who dominated the discussion (from what I'm told) on a conference call with the exec board to keep me out of AFA, as he viewed me as a threat as well. So, they returned my dues to me. From my understanding, the Exec Board didn't even know the issues regarding the VFLR program and was mislead by Mike F. (East MECP) on the issue.

I have no pity for Pat, or tolerance for the kniving stuff that goes on internally within unions to hold on to seats...as she ran and told someone important that I was overly enthusiastic as a leader...whatever negative crap that means. I just had a reputation for not taking any BS from International or management...so that made me the odd man out and a "loose cannon" they couldn't control.

An example of total incompetence is Council 70 and Council 41 DCA whose leaders should not be in office due to incompetence and power playing manuevers to control. As an LECP, you are automatically a voting delegate on the AFA BOD. The DCA President is thinking he is so qualified from running a base of 300 at U, that he can now be a spokes person for all of the AFA International as a VP candidate. And the very point I make above is he is one of those candidates who ran in DCA last election and ran unopposed. So, again by acclamation, he became President of DCA and a voting member of the fragile MEC. And if no one runs against Pat, she will reclaim the seat the same way.

What a joke.
I'd vote for you. We NEED you back, until then I have no confidence in anything that this company or union does.

Thank you, and it was a great priviledge for me.

My time is over. It is now time for the many f/as we have that are so qualified and have more passion to represent and be good leaders to take these seats. Seek them out. Remember, you don't have to know everything about union and process or even about negotiating. I didn't. You will get baptized in it through experience. That will come quickly, on its own by just mere exposure to the process and listening to the membership. You will develop your own skills, skills you never thought you had. That is how the learning curve works..on the job...exposure.

What's important is one's commitment, loyalty, availability and being a caretaker of the contract and protecting the people and their collective interest at all times while serving.

Back