Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
IAD
Link to Article

Airline loses class war

Gemma Bowes
Sunday April 10, 2005
The Observer

A passenger who claimed that service on a business-class flight to Jamaica was not up to standard has taken the unusual step of suing the airline - and winning.
At a small claims court last month, David Farraday said Air Jamaica failed to deliver the standard of meals and pre-flight, in-flight and post-flight service he expected from a company that claims to be the 'world's best airline to the Caribbean'.

'The food was appalling, the menu was given verbally instead of on a card, there were not enough in-flight films, no papers and the service was disgraceful - I had red wine spilt over my shirt,' said Farraday, a restaurateur from the Lake District.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:lol:

Given the current levels of service and fares like MHT/SFO, F, $3,500 a lawsuit would have substantial merit. US is lucky nobody has thought of it...

Yeah I am just messing with you guys. I thought the article was pretty funny.

Could the Air Jamaica suit provide a precedence for anyone else?

For domestic travel that lacks a genuine F product, I think the airline(s) should simply re-brand First class as somehing with a more appropriate name like "Enhanced Coach". Then the expectations will be on par with what's actually offered.

First class should, at minimum, include:
1.) blankets and pillows
2.) paper/card stock menu providing at least 2 entree options.
3.) 3 course meal with hot entree
4.) Ceramic Dishes, Glassware for drinks and silverware.
5.) Seats with at least 38" of pitch and laptop power ports. Leg rests would be nice.

If you don't offer those seeminly basic tenents of a true First class product, then don't brand it as such.

Back