A reminder of the real world

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't you people afford trees and hills? Lunar Kanza is Ranul Aznak spelled backwards.

Actually, this was on the Kanza Prairie in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Those pictures were taken about 15 miles into the middle of nowhere just south of Emporia Kansas. And the solitude and peace that you experience can actually make flat prairie rather beautiful.

Emporia is a huge bicycling destination, Every June they have a race called the "Dirty Kanza". It's a 200 mile race thru the flint hills - on gravel. There is no overnight - you start at 6 a.m. on a Saturday and you have to be finished by 3 a.m. Sunday to be counted as a finisher. There were 554 riders who finished it last year. The winner did it in just over 11 hours. The guys bringing up the rear did it in 20 hours and 55 minutes. If they had been 5 minutes slower - no credit. There are riders from every continent who ride it. Between cyclists, support people and spectators, they say the popularion of Emporia grows by 7,000 during that week. They also have a 100 mile race - that one have 470 people who finished. More than that signed up, but you only get credit if you finish. They also have a 25 mile and a 50 mile "fun ride". I may do the 50 mile ride next year.

Emporia is also a college town and one of the rest stops was "manned" by a group called "babes on bikes". They offered refreshments like the one shown below. Life is great on two wheels.

fireball.JPG

Reactions: Insp4
Actually, this was on the Kanza Prairie in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Those pictures were taken about 15 miles into the middle of nowhere just south of Emporia Kansas. And the solitude and peace that you experience can actually make flat prairie rather beautiful.

Emporia is a huge bicycling destination, Every June they have a race called the "Dirty Kanza". It's a 200 mile race thru the flint hills - on gravel. There is no overnight - you start at 6 a.m. on a Saturday and you have to be finished by 3 a.m. Sunday to be counted as a finisher. There were 554 riders who finished it last year. The winner did it in just over 11 hours. The guys bringing up the rear did it in 20 hours and 55 minutes. If they had been 5 minutes slower - no credit. There are riders from every continent who ride it. Between cyclists, support people and spectators, they say the popularion of Emporia grows by 7,000 during that week. They also have a 100 mile race - that one have 470 people who finished. More than that signed up, but you only get credit if you finish. They also have a 25 mile and a 50 mile "fun ride". I may do the 50 mile ride next year.

Emporia is also a college town and one of the rest stops was "manned" by a group called "babes on bikes". They offered refreshments like the one shown below. Life is great on two wheels.

View attachment 11973
Hey, if it gets me away from all this madness that is going on in this world today for a few days, I'm all for it!

A time out is great, but, we won't find answeers to our problems on the bottom of a empty bottle!

No, we won't. But you know, when travelling by bike out there, when you would come across a fellow cyclist, it didn't seem to matter what their political affiliation was. There was a common bond. When I took the picture of the sunset, I was standing by my bike just looking. Some passing cyclists stopped to make sure I was okay. One person had a flat but no spare tube. Another cyclist gave him theirs. People taking care of each other. What a concept.

Wow!! ★.★ This girl is way too amazing!
I was a drummer for years. Nice work there. I never really mastered stick twirling, but I am wondering how often she drums on her steering wheel while driving. I never noticed until my daughter gave me a fathers day book and filled in "Nobody ____________ as good as you". She put in "plays drums on the steering wheel".

I was a drummer for years. Nice work there. I never really mastered stick twirling, but I am wondering how often she drums on her steering wheel while driving. I never noticed until my daughter gave me a fathers day book and filled in "Nobody ____________ as good as you". She put in "plays drums on the steering wheel".
Your daughter gave you a what? -----------?

Your daughter gave you a what? -----------?
It was a fathers day book that was called "50 things I love about my dad". It was 50 pages of "fill in the blank" kind of responses. One of those was "Nobody _________ as good as you". I learned to play drums almost 50 years ago and while I don't play them anymore, I will "drum" to music in the car or at my desk. I never really noticed I as doing it, but she did.

Status
Not open for further replies.