A symbol of the company's contempt for the AMT

proAMT

Advanced
Dec 3, 2005
SEA
The TWU International donated money to a fund in which the very first AMT, Charles Taylor, would be honored. There were actually to be three busts made for American aviation workers that paid tribute to Charles Taylor and our profession.

Charles Taylor made the first aircraft engine that was light enough yet powerful enough to sustain heavier than air flight. The accomplishment was remarkable.

The three busts were to be display in Kansas City, Tulsa and Alliance. In the past I have been at odds with the TWU on many issues but this time I have to give credit where credit is due-the TWU stepped up and displayed their respect and honor to a well deserving pioneer of flight and the aviation maintenance profession by funding this project.

A few months ago I finally discovered where the company decided it would be appropriate to display this important symbol at Tulsa-behind locked doors, behind the stairs, and in the corner of the Administration building.
By placing the bust behind locked glass doors the average maintenance worker is unable to even access this tribute to Charles Taylor and the aircraft maintenance profession. But let's say a worker is able to access the area, I did (via a reluctant security guy with a suit and a ear piece)...

The maintenance worker would still need to know to look behind the stairs and in the corner.

The selection of this area to display the bust is terrible decision at best but to me and other AMT's it is nothing less than a slap in the face. A symbol of the company's contempt for the aviation worker and aviation history.

Most Tulsa AMT's are not even aware of the bust!

Whether the decision is an accidental faux paux or not the bust location is disrespectful and unfortunately a symbol of either disregard or contempt.

Hey company officials-instead of showing your disregard or contempt for aviation maintenance workers how about moving this bust to a place where the aviation workers and even the public can view this important tribute?

Prove to us that the decision to place the bust in the corner, behind the stairs, behind locked doors was just a silly mistake.

Did you ask anyone at the local why it's there?

The TWU probably didn't want any more visible reminders of Ken's work with AMTA (since the initials are easily confused...), so it wouldn't surprise me if that was their requested location for it to be placed. It also keeps it in an area where it won't be defaced...

[quote name='heckle and jyde' post='635605' date='Aug 23 2008, Deleted by Moderator.[/quote]

As for the bust placement. Maybe we should express concern and a request to Mr. Cleveland to move the bust in a more appropiate location.

"The TWU probably didn't want any more visible reminders of Ken's work with AMTA (since the initials are easily confused...), so it wouldn't surprise me if that was their requested location for it to be placed. It also keeps it in an area where it won't be defaced..."

Eric, why would the TWU not want to see visible reminders of the efforts the AMTA takes in promoting the AMT craft? After all, the TWU represents AMTs and the TWU Int. donated $17,000.00 of our dues monies towards the purchase of three busts. The MCI bust is on display along with all the C.E.T. Master Mechanic Award recipients from MCI.

Does the TWU hate me so much because I am doing something that benefits our entire craft & profession on a voluntary basis? And why would the bust be defaced? Who would do such a vile thing?

I was not aware of the location of this particular bust till this thread was started. I will inquire as to why this is and respectfully ask for the bust to be placed in a prominent location.

Ken, I have no idea why the TWU does a lot of things they do. I'm just throwing it out there as an alternative excuse. To simply explain it away as the company showing utter disdain for AMT's is a little disingenuous at best. They could just as easily ask for the busts to be removed from the property or placed in the union hall.

Without Question,

After collecting cards, watching AA defend the TWU, and knowing the NMB bought off eronious and unethical information to prevent a vote of the membership regarding representation, there is without doubt reason to suspect TWU/AA on each and every item.

The Charles Taylor bust though I am afraid is not really contempt for the AMT as the original poster believes but more simply ignorance as to the importance the AMT in Tulsa would place on the location of the bust.

I say we ask Mr. Cleveland to move the bust to a more suitable location and if he refuses then claim contempt. But I really think this situation is just plain management ignorance an not really contempt. Sometimes claims of extreme positions, will lead to less credibility that could come into play on more important matters.

Let's pursuit a change of location of the bust first, and then decide if this is really contempt for the AMT or just lack of information and thinking.

A post deemed inflammatory was deleted. Responses to that post have also been edited or deleted for clarity. Just FYI.

Alright, I am willing to accept the fact that perhaps the company may not be cognitive to the fact that putting the bust behind locked doors where the average AMT and public does not have access to view it, behind the admin bldg stairs, and in the corner of the Admin bldg entry represents the equivalent of putting the bust in a closet somewhere. I'll work fwd from that point.

I would much prefer the bust to be displayed at the airport, museum or even the union hall. What's wrong with the trophy case by medical?

Alright, I am willing to accept the fact that perhaps the company may not be cognitive to the fact that putting the bust behind locked doors where the average AMT and public does not have access to view it, behind the admin bldg stairs, and in the corner of the Admin bldg entry represents the equivalent of putting the bust in a closet somewhere. I'll work fwd from that point.

I would much prefer the bust to be displayed at the airport, museum or even the union hall. What's wrong with the trophy case by medical?

ProAMT,

The bust is actually property of AA. I do not think that they would want it at the Hall. I feel that the bust should be in a location that has the most viewable traffic. A reminder of who started our craft can help raise our craft's awarness.

As for a bust of Charlie being placed in the Hall in Tulsa I think that is a wonderful idea. I think that each Hall where unions represent AMTs should have a bust of Charles E. Taylor. A motion would have to be introduced at a union meeting and the members should vote on it. If this is done let me know and I will contact the artist to create another one. Perhaps the people who made the base for the bust already in Tulsa can make another base.

Latest posts