AA + AK ?

Aug 20, 2002
www.usaviation.com
With the VERY likelihood of DL starting the Merger and Acquisition ball "rolling" soon, I really doubt that AA will sit on the sidelines while DL/NW/UA and CO..."take to the dance floor" !!

PERHAPS, more than any other time in AA's and AK's history, 2008 could be the year that AA makes it's "next move" !!

IMHO, It's Loooong overdue !!

Minus Horizon, can anyone give a total A/C count,..........Which type(I think they're ALL 737's now), and most Importantly...what kind of engines are on those 737-800/900's ??

Thanx (in advance)

With the VERY likelihood of DL starting the Merger and Acquisition ball "rolling" soon, I really doubt that AA will sit on the sidelines while DL/NW/UA and CO..."take to the dance floor" !!

PERHAPS, more than any other time in AA's and AK's history, 2008 could be the year that AA makes it's "next move" !!

IMHO, It's Loooong overdue !!

Minus Horizon, can anyone give a total A/C count,..........Which type(I think they're ALL 737's now), and most Importantly...what kind of engines are on those 737-800/900's ??

Thanx (in advance)

Alaska has partnerships with virtually every major airline in the US except United and US Airways. If it is acquired, I see a risk that some of the partnership traffic would be lost.

I have flown Alaska several times, most recently between Newark and Kauai. Every flight has been a nice experience, except for late departures at Newark that are the result of air traffic control problems not caused by Alaska.

As a stockholder I might welcome a takeover, but as a passenger I hope that Alaska can thrive as an independent carrier.

Thanx (in advance)

Fleet looks like this:

737-400F (freighter): 1

737-400 (combi freighter):4

737-400: 35

737-700: 20

737-800: 29

737-900: 12

and yes,

MD80: 16

The -800's have GE engines IIRC...I would guess the -900's are the same, but have no idea.

Bears, there's only one engine type offered on the 737NG's, and that's the CFM56-7.

Aside from the 757, I don't think any of the Boeing or Douglas narrowbodies offered a choice on engines. That's why you see airlines like Southwest picking up 737's on the secondary market. Likewise with the MD80.

Airbus wasn't that smart with the A318/319/320/321. They offer a choice of engines... which makes it a little harder to mix and match.

I don't see an AK purchase on the horizon. The current round of potential consolidation is all about buying access to areas you don't currently serve and, at the same time, possibly shutting down some duplication. AK doesn't really interfere with any domestic yields and doesn't provide access to key international areas. An AA purchase would give AA yet another try at operating a West Coast network (great for me and everyone else on the West Coast). If AA were to buy NW, then a follow-on purchase of AK wouldn't be a bad thing. But by itself, AK doesn't bring what everyone currently covets.

So are you saying AA is looking at purchasing the great state of Alaska (AK) or the airline Alaska Airlines (AS) ?
:p

Sorry, couldn't resist NHBB.

But seriously if that were to happen how would Horizon with their CRJ-700 and Dash Q-400 fleet be absorbed by American Eagle? Just wondering about the AA scope clause; Do the AA pilots have a restriction on the number of aircraft of that size?

But seriously if that were to happen how would Horizon with their CRJ-700 and Dash Q-400 fleet be absorbed by American Eagle?
Eagle already has the CRJ-700 (34 of them at the end of the 3rd quarter). The Q-400 has a few more seats, but I don't know the specifics of AA/APA's scope language enough to know if that would make a difference.

Jim

About the ONLY thing I can offer to you "fine Gents" about AA/AK/NW et al., Is(and I know I'll get a "second motion" from my west coast pal-FWAAA), is that when the "game begins", when it's AA turn to BET(and they WON'T be checking), It will be a VERY Interesting "Play/BET" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!