AA and British Airways to move in together at JFK

It's been talked about for over ten years, but this is the first firm commitment I've ever seen.

Fact is that time's finally caught up with Terminal 7, and JetBlue has a lot of clout with the Port Authority, so I'm sure they found a way to make the lease renewal painful enough for BA to finally give in to the pressure to move in with AA.

Plus, BA is trying to retire the 744's by 2024, and T-7 can't handle an A380. T-8 can.

https://runwaygirlnetwork.com/2016/11/27/ba-plans-65m-jfk-terminal-upgrade-but-is-it-enough/

Last edited:
Who will do the ground handling for British at the AA terminal when its done? Doesn't British use a vendor?

ba and aa have been telling us in ord that "one day" aa will work their flights. they've been saying that for years.

could mean an additional 14-16 shifts (bagroom & ramp) just for fleet, if it ever happens.

ba is looking to outsource all their passenger service. the iam represents them and the final cut has stalled due to agreeing about severance.

The JFK terminal is up for sale. Supposedly they've got two bids on it.

I love a good break-room rumor, but I'll call BS on that one.... AA doesn't own T-8 -- the Port Authority does.

TWe can't staff our own operation, much less handle someone else.

I'm guessing it's hard these days finding people who can pass a drug test.... at my airline, I've heard the fail rate is as high as 40%.

I love a good break-room rumor, but I'll call BS on that one.... AA doesn't own T-8 -- the Port Authority does.

I'm guessing it's hard these days finding people who can pass a drug test.... at my airline, I've heard the fail rate is as high as 40%.
Actually AA DOES own T-8. And if you doubt it, look at yesterdays town hall with the F/A's. Go the the JFK flying topic. VR states it there that AA owns it.
Now the rumor is that AA wants to sell it to the Port and lease it back.
This actually might make sense considering the future Cuomo JFK overhaul project.

Last edited:

According to the WSJ, AA owns T8.

IIRC, when JFK was proposed, the whole idea was that each airline would build their own terminals, and they would be free to design them however they liked. The TWA terminal (which I believe is T8) was by far the most striking and modern at the time, but all of the terminals showcased the best and the brightest among architects of the time.

IIRC, when JFK was proposed, the whole idea was that each airline would build their own terminals, and they would be free to design them however they liked. The TWA terminal (which I believe is T8) was by far the most striking and modern at the time, but all of the terminals showcased the best and the brightest among architects of the time.
JetBlue is in the old TWA terminal which was T5 and the new hotel being built is another old TW terminal, they were never in T8.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TWA_Flight_Center

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. The terminal that is now a hotel is the one I was talking about. I remember when I saw the first pictures and thought it was the most beautiful building I had ever seen. (Bear in mind, I hadn't seen all that many buildings. The TWA building opened before I started high school, and I am older than dirt.)