AA and Labor Negotiations-2020

1AA; I have asked the same question and just this afternoon I used the same 10 & 1 example.

We the membership should ask GP to have Ballotpoint provide them the totals at each station as well as the total percentage. Then we will know if one station or another carried the vote and what stations didn't vote. We paid with our dues to have ballot point to do this, we should have the right to all the information as well.

The last time MIA, had a VERY POOR turnout to vote over 170 had no say? At that time the union officers put out a video to vote NO but there was Zero follow thru by them ot the stewards after that to insure people voted. And Today myself and others commented that we did not see one of the union officers on the floor. They come around at election time to insure people vote. Big statement with that don't you think?
Agree. BallotPoint is hired by the union on property to get the vote done. BallotPoint is also held at their mercy as far as what they can and cannot release as far as the numbers are concerned.
When we get done with a vote, we get % of voters, % of yes votes and % of no votes. We do not station brake downs, but we do get these 3 % variables after a vote of any kind using BallotPoint.

A poor voter turnout is only the fault of those who didn't vote..... PERIOD.
BS!!! When you are being reduced to a very small time frame, and restricted to when and where you can vote, and ONLY held on one day, and you can only vote in person, and the intimidation of also voting in person IS NOT the fault of the membership who "COULD NOT" vote due to the complete fukd up restrictions to vote. C'mon Man!!!

BS!!! When you are being reduced to a very small time frame, and restricted to when and where you can vote, and ONLY held on one day, and you can only vote in person, and the intimidation of also voting in person IS NOT the fault of the membership who "COULD NOT" vote due to the complete fukd up restrictions to vote. C'mon Man!!!
Except that didn't happen. Online voting for two days. Can literally vote on the toilet ,in your own home, using what is now very expensive toilet paper. If people can't be motivated to take the 60 seconds to vote... literally anywhere in the world..in regards to their own financial well being...they cannot be helped.

A poor voter turnout is only the fault of those who didn't vote..... PERIOD.

That's not a completely fair assessment, as I been told there was many people who were unable to vote due to a computer glitch, along with other issues. Personally, I think it is crap that the Association hires these "experts" with only a 2-day voting window, and the online system fails without a live ballot option.

Yes it will take a while. Possibly longer than 9-11. Hope not, but?

AL, there have been a many articles as well as quotes ("from parker") himself that the aid package coming will not guarantee no layoffs. It may not be enough to save the layoffs. Dude, DO NOT believe any letter you get NOW promising no layoffs in the future. Oscar and Scott knows more than they are leading on. Prepare yourself and your family for the worse.

IMHO, September 30 will be doomsday for a lot of us. Oscar and Scott said in no certain terms that we will be smaller when the dust clears. How bad things will be is due to how fast the virus decreases, and some sort of normalcy happens. And how long that the upcoming recession lasts. That makes people hold on to their funds and cuts down on discretionary spending. We’ve never seen anything like this where the economy as a whole is shut down. How the country recovers will pretty much determine our fate.

As soon as the announcement of the package was signed, we got notice that partimers who have 30 hour lines will be reduced to 20 hours. And I have a funny feeling that us full timers will be reduced in some sort of way as well. In other words: you will have your job till Sept. 30, BUT your hours will be reduced in some form. Also I’m pretty sure that some sort of paycut (ie: reduction of hours) will happen very soon. Leaves of Absence; unpaid time off days / weeks won’t be enough to avoid paycuts if we are at 20 percent load factors. This is so much more worse than 9/11. At least people came back and we were flying with passengers. 10 passengers on a 739 won’t cut it, and they are saying that April and May will be worse. The will have to be subsequent stimulus packages to handle the upcoming recession, and if business and international travel will resume to near normal levels.

I’m hoping things will work out. But I think that we won’t have 90,000 employees after this.

We (not you) were not restricted. We had 2 days to vote from anywhere in the world that had internet access. There is no such thing as intimidation (grow up). You will never admit it, but every time you spew, your bias towards any other union but yours' shows. Reading all of the accolades on fb for the IAM after the vote passed (and personally talking with fellow AA employees), it's obvious that most union employees either support, or don't care which union represents them as long as the contract got done. But it's equally obvious that hardly anyone supports the association and wants it gone, including me. It took the TWU & IAM crooks 5 years to get a first contract and in some areas we are still separate. I wish I could sue them for malpractice. Every time I think about the $900+ a year I pay to the union, the angrier I get.

By the way, I stand behind the mechanics for wanting their own specific union taylored for them and hope they get what they want.

Except that didn't happen. Online voting for two days. Can literally vote on the toilet ,in your own home, using what is now very expensive toilet paper. If people can't be motivated to take the 60 seconds to vote... literally anywhere in the world..in regards to their own financial well being...they cannot be helped.
this is very true.

That's not a completely fair assessment, as I been told there was many people who were unable to vote due to a computer glitch, along with other issues. Personally, I think it is crap that the Association hires these "experts" with only a 2-day voting window, and the online system fails without a live ballot option.
the ones that could not vote, probably would not go the extra step like reading email. or trying to find out the phone number (reading an email) to get your pin assigned. no there are no excuses.

We (not you) were not restricted. We had 2 days to vote from anywhere in the world that had internet access. There is no such thing as intimidation (grow up). You will never admit it, but every time you spew, your bias towards any other union but yours' shows. Reading all of the accolades on fb for the IAM after the vote passed (and personally talking with fellow AA employees), it's obvious that most union employees either support, or don't care which union represents them as long as the contract got done. But it's equally obvious that hardly anyone supports the association and wants it gone, including me. It took the TWU & IAM crooks 5 years to get a first contract and in some areas we are still separate. I wish I could sue them for malpractice. Every time I think about the $900+ a year I pay to the union, the angrier I get.

By the way, I stand behind the mechanics for wanting their own specific union taylored for them and hope they get what they want.
thank you.

IMHO, September 30 will be doomsday for a lot of us. Oscar and Scott said in no certain terms that we will be smaller when the dust clears. How bad things will be is due to how fast the virus decreases, and some sort of normalcy happens. And how long that the upcoming recession lasts. That makes people hold on to their funds and cuts down on discretionary spending. We’ve never seen anything like this where the economy as a whole is shut down. How the country recovers will pretty much determine our fate.

As soon as the announcement of the package was signed, we got notice that partimers who have 30 hour lines will be reduced to 20 hours. And I have a funny feeling that us full timers will be reduced in some sort of way as well. In other words: you will have your job till Sept. 30, BUT your hours will be reduced in some form. Also I’m pretty sure that some sort of paycut (ie: reduction of hours) will happen very soon. Leaves of Absence; unpaid time off days / weeks won’t be enough to avoid paycuts if we are at 20 percent load factors. This is so much more worse than 9/11. At least people came back and we were flying with passengers. 10 passengers on a 739 won’t cut it, and they are saying that April and May will be worse. The will have to be subsequent stimulus packages to handle the upcoming recession, and if business and international travel will resume to near normal levels.

I’m hoping things will work out. But I think that we won’t have 90,000 employees after this.
i happen to agree with you on this

Do Americans labor cost include the increase from the soon to be passed TA

as it turns out, no. looks like aa's $7.1 billion in liquidity and it's recent access to $700 million in credit will pay for our raises/bonuss:

Airlines can ask for the equivalent of their payroll between April 1 and Sept. 30 of last year, according to the terms of the bill, meaning some large airlines could get $4 billion or more in total.

my figures were aa at 42.25% of $12+ billion (i used $12.3 billion), which is apprx. $5.2 billion for 5 months of payroll.

What im surprised at is no shutdown as of yet.....

i agree, but i understand the downside of no mail and freight. the govt. wants the appearance of calm.

since no one is traveling, not sure if the virus' ability to spread via large distances is smothered, but our health is most important.

i'd be for a 1 week shutdown, as numbers start deceasing in major cities. like a final ratchet turn.

Felt weird to give this post a “winner” mark, but I’m afraid it’s dead on accurate. If you haven’t already, now’s the time to get your financial house in order. Start making plans now so that you’re ready for whatever may come this fall.

i agree, but i understand the downside of no mail and freight. the govt. wants the appearance of calm.

since no one is traveling, not sure if the virus' ability to spread via large distances is smothered, but our health is most important.

i'd be for a 1 week shutdown, as numbers start deceasing in major cities. like a final ratchet turn.

I could see carriers keeping some sort of trunk network(s) open for Mail/freight and shuttling health care workers where needed while shutting the rest down for 14-30 days. Pay us all to stay home, hit the reset after that, and ramp back up to whatever the new normal is.

Last edited: