AA and Labor Negotiations-2020

First I want to thank P Rez for posting the update since my local didn’t even send it out. The only difference I see in this update is that they sent it out during negotiation sessions instead of waiting for them to be over. So in that regard it gives me hope that we are finally moving to a conclusion.
I would like to agree with this, unfortunately its impossible to read beyween the lines as to what is truly hoing on.

There is NO sense of Humor here, the fact that we systemwide have sent guys from the locals to be our reps and they are our negotiators well, they are NOT in the room. Most of the time they have NOT been it's the ATD International doing the bidding for the TWU. Even the trick FK of separate negotiations was a scam most here bought into. The same ATD intl. reps were in the room all the time. Each group get the same BS, that is done to save headcount and insure the steady flow of union dues. The TWU was told this is it, so if you remember Title 1 had 2 sick days at half pay, not sure what the other title groups gave up. (just and example)
Hey, we have Alex Garcia representing title 1 & 2.
Who could do better than that?

Last edited:
What sad is my first inclination is to be pissed and blast the association. Thats how bad it is for the membership we have very little fairh in leadership. Any leadership.
But lets look at the update.
Medical, retirement not mentioned. Wonder how that got solved?

Did it?

NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE
29 Jan 2020

January 29, 2020

Negotiations Update

Sisters and Brothers,

Negotiations between the Association and American Airlines resumed today in Washington, DC. with some progress made. The remaining outstanding issues are few, but are some of the most important elements of a collective bargaining agreement, including wages and job scope language.

The parties will continue negotiations tomorrow, and the membership will be updated as developments occur. Your solidarity has brought us close to an agreement, and your committee thanks you as we try to conclude these negotiations.

Please Post on All TWU – IAM Bulletin Boards.
Thank you...so many question remain, but none that haven’t been asked before.

No kind of numb to the whole mess. Just trying to focus on overthrowing the associaton. I do hope they come to an agreement but have little faith it will happen anytime soon. It is unusal a midweek update if any update. An agreement would make the transition a little easier

The Permanent Injunction is still open-ended and the membership is going to pay the fines.
WTF did you think? Lowest Profit Sharing and Lowest Retro...

Reactions: Quiksilver
AA hires in big gaps, why would they lay off guys who NOW have to work 8 yrs to top out and start with 1 week vacation, and keep old guys with 4-5-6 weeks vacation at top of the pay scale? The industry across the board from what I hear and read, many of the airlines are looking to hire and bring in new mechanics since in the next few yrs many will be gone for one reason or another. Layoffs would make no sense, it would be a POOR business decision on the leadership of AA to do that.
What your saying makes a lot of sense and is very logical.

That being said we are talking about American Airlines here. I have seen American Airlines do a lot of stupid wasteful things over the years.

Hanger 80...... being used to restore an old aircraft.

How about that floor jack device in hanger 6 (or maybe hanger 5) that was built and never used.

Were those good business decisions?

I hear they are building hanger 7? I have to ask why when hangers 3 and 4 are being used for storage. I don't know a lot about that situation as I don't work there anymore but it makes me wonder.

I agree with you 100% in theory (again your post being of sound logic). In practice I have seen a LOT of goofs (I could list another 10 easily) that were poor business decisions that cost American Airlines big time money.

What your saying makes a lot of sense and is very logical.

That being said we are talking about American Airlines here. I have seen American Airlines do a lot of stupid wasteful things over the years.

Hanger 80...... being used to restore an old aircraft.

How about that floor jack device in hanger 6 (or maybe hanger 5) that was built and never used.

Were those good business decisions?

I hear they are building hanger 7? I have to ask why when hangers 3 and 4 are being used for storage. I don't know a lot about that situation as I don't work there anymore but it makes me wonder.

I agree with you 100% in theory (again your post being of sound logic). In practice I have seen a LOT of goofs (I could list another 10 easily) that were poor business decisions that cost American Airlines big time money.

LaLiLuLeLo

I have said many times at both the stations I have worked at. AA is the stupidest place I have ever worked. I assume you're talking about hangers in Tulsa.
AA spent lots of Money at JFK re-building the terminal. Took TWA only to destroy all the routes which could of been lucrative. Gave up the Puerto Rico operation
which was a gateway to the Caribbean. On and on all of us can think of things we don't agree on, but AA still makes money.

My opinion is a lot of that money comes from the backs of its employees. The TWU has failed US, since that is the union I work under that is where my comments
come from. I can't speak on the Pilots/Flight attendants. The TWU has been in bed with AA and has dealt a lot of what we could of had over a lot of yrs away.
AA has talked about shared sacrifice and all the other buzz words to gain what it wanted. But we all know they just took from us and they don't share.

We all have heard of the bonus money other carriers have given to their employees. We will see just how much the TWU does for us all when they reach a T/A.
Bonus, Retro, whatever else, I would lay odds that the TWU will figure away to be part of the distribution of those funds. Saying it was a big Tax hit to get that money. I think we have enough smarts to deal with our own taxes. Remember the stock fiasco.?

So as I said my belief is that there will be NO Layoffs. How we stay competitive with head count compared to DL & UAL, again we will see just what we will have to give up when this T/A comes out. I don't think many will like some of the scope language & more of the contract. The IGM and the $$$ will pass it.
Just remember they can do that Brother, the TWU favorite line. Next to MY scam protects your scam.

Don't get too exited. That base has a history of hiring then having massive layoffs.

It could have just been Sept 11th fallout but I got the feeling from the older hands that having massive layoffs after a hiring spree was normalcy.
It is not only possible but most likely, you could see 500 to a 1000 workers retire within a year of a contract signing at TULE. Maybe the company could actually be proactive hiring. There is that many with 35 plus years of service, maybe more.

Reactions: Shafted
Thank you...so many question remain, but none that haven’t been asked before.
We're almost there. Just a few articles to wrap up and we should have a contract ready for you to vote on.
Wash, rinse repeat for four years now. The association is running out of laundry detergent to white wash the membership into believing we have a promised ILC.

NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE
29 Jan 2020

A few??? Like 2 or 3 or maybe 4!!
A few open items!!!
P.REZ elaborate on this please!!
Are you allowed in the room with those alpha males that are negotiating on behalf of the menbers that are paying your salarie’s?? Or do they have you outside sitting like a well behave pup
Waiting on a treat?? Do you guys have to really kiss so much ass to your higher up’s
Are you guys afraid of asking your MASTER’S for more info? Do you recall the start of your career? Did you enjoy being kept in the dark? Unless you are a masochist then i can understand.
But for the time being and for the best interest of your menbers, can you step up and demand that they tell the menbers what is really going on???

January 29, 2020

Negotiations Update

Sisters and Brothers,

Negotiations between the Association and American Airlines resumed today in Washington, DC. with some progress made. The remaining outstanding issues are few, but are some of the most important elements of a collective bargaining agreement, including wages and job scope language.

The parties will continue negotiations tomorrow, and the membership will be updated as developments occur. Your solidarity has brought us close to an agreement, and your committee thanks you as we try to conclude these negotiations.

Please Post on All TWU – IAM Bulletin Boards.

It is not only possible but most likely, you could see 500 to a 1000 workers retire within a year of a contract signing at TULE. Maybe the company could actually be proactive hiring. There is that many with 35 plus years of service, maybe more.

Do not forget increasing the voter population is a time-honored technique.
While watching the internal hiring on JetNet, the increase in mechanics is being doubled if not tripled in Fleet.

latest Contract update:
The lawyer with the association that is in negotiations has said we will have a deal very soon.
has early as this coming Wednesday..
Believe it or not but this was straight of of his mouth.
this did not come from the blue fairy..
My concern is: How much did we give up to kill the permanent injunction....

Tulsa seems to have good details that concur with your information. We were told no later than 18th of Feb., but probably sooner.

Well if it's true that we are close to a deal then this pressure from the APA may be the reason. AA wants to get us out of the way for the APA negotiations. So did AA give the Association an ultimatum that if we don't take their last or current deal we will be put on the back burner?
Did the association fold up like a cheap lawn chair? Whatever happened to a INDUSTRY LEADING CONTRACT? We will eventually see the results of over four years of so called negotiations.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/news/2020/01/30/american-airlines-pilots-union-dfw-picket.html