AA at LAX

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by jcw, Aug 25, 2016.

1. jcw

jcw Veteran

If everyone remembers - AA would never be larger than another airline in LAX when it comes to international.

Thought folks would like to know that AA through July YTD was the largest domestic and international carrier at LAX

• Like Like x 4
  2. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

Based on which metric(s)?

3. DFWFSC

DFWFSC Senior

At the 8/23 DFW Crew News meeting it was mentioned that LAX went down 25 flights for the fall schedule. Mostly domestic.

4. jcw

jcw Veteran

5. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

Thanks for the link.

6. Kev3188

Kev3188 Veteran

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. jcw

jcw Veteran

Too funny

8. IORFA

IORFA Veteran

UPDATE: AA is moving to T5, 31 Jan 17. Just about a month and a half away. Delta is releasing 4 gates to us and Delta won't entirely leave T5 till mid May.

9. IORFA

IORFA Veteran

UPDATE: AA is moving to T5, 31 Jan 17. Just about a month and a half away. Delta is releasing 4 gates to us and Delta won't entirely leave T5 till mid May.

10. robbedagain

robbedagain Veteran

Where will DL move to? And will AA occupy with One World carriers in T5?

11. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

What happens to T4? Is Delta moving there?

12. IORFA

IORFA Veteran

AA is staying in T4. Just moving the 4 gates from T6 to T5. Delta is moving to T3 and a couple gates in T2.

13. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

Thanks. I've never seen a complete explanation by the company (on Jetnet, for instance) of the moving and shaking at LAX. Until now, I didn't know we even had any gates in T6. That's not TBIT, is it? Or, are the T6 gates former LUS gates?

14. IORFA

IORFA Veteran

T6 are the LUS gates, but anything could be over there.

15. strangiatotheme

16. jimntx

jimntx Veteran

strangia, thanks for posting. Most interesting. Though I am surprised that it appears that DL will have a lot more gates than AA if what you posted is anything close to the final layout. I'm not that familiar with LAX, and most of my flying into/out of LAX has been T4 which doesn't seem to have all that many gates considering the size of the building. (Maybe I'm just bitter because every time I have a layover there, I can guarantee we will come into gate 46A or 46B, and we will depart from those same gates the next day. Thus guaranteeing me a long walk to/from the van.LOL )

I'm also surprised that WN is accepting that inconvenient arrangement for their newly begun International service. Customs facility in Terminal 1's future?

17. strangiatotheme

DL is planning on up to 27 gates between T2 and T3 and and I believe will have access to TBIT gates on a performance-qualifying and FCFS basis. I'm guessing most of those T2 gates will be shared as well so I'm not sure exactly how many gates they will end up having exclusive access to.

AA will have 28 gates all to themselves - 19 between T4 and T5, plus 9 at the Eagle's Nest - and continued preferential use of 4 TBIT gates, for a total of up to 32.

As for T1, I agree WN seems to lose out here, as they are also permanently losing a gate to the Terminal 1.5 project. I also don't foresee a T1 FIS in their future given how CBP is already stretched thin across the airport.

18. IORFA

IORFA Veteran

Eagle also loads and unloads at what looks like 3 hard stands next to the Nest. AA has planned and is set up to do the same for mainline at the hangar. Not sure for how many, but they are set up and ready to do it now and will plan to use them for sure next summer on a regular basis.

19. Jester

Jester Veteran

Just curious, and I don't pretend to know LAX all that well... I assume "the Eagle's Nest" would Express flying, so but how difficult would it be to convert those gates into mainline flights? Re-configure the gates and move jet bridges maybe? Are the gates deep enough to handle a B738 or even an A321?

20. strangiatotheme

I'll preface this by saying I'm not intimately familiar with LAX either, and I just threw this together in about 10 minutes:
    eagles nest adg iii.PNG

If all that equipment on the east side of the existing taxilane can be squeezed farther east, and AA can part with those two hardstands, then you theoretically could convert part of that to an ADG-III taxilane. I'm not sure if you could achieve a proper slope for jetways as the facility is at ground level though, and there appears to be quite a bit of utility hardware that protrudes from the apron closer to the building. Then there's the issue of the processing capacity of the building, other operational issues that I'm probably not aware of, and isn't there some kind of gate cap at LAX or has that been recently amended?

• Like Like x 1