AA one of six airlines granted routes to Cuba

jimntx

Veteran
Jun 28, 2003
Dallas, TX
www.usaviation.com
All announced routes are for non-Havana destinations.  Havana service decisions to come later.  AA, Frontier, Southwest, Silver, JetBlue, and Sun Country are the route winners.  AA only one with service from Miami.  Silver, Southwest, and JetBlue to fly from Ft. Lauderdale.  Frontier to offer flights from ORD and PHL.  Sun Country from Minneapolis.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes/six-us-airlines-granted-permission-operate-cuba-flights?NL=ATW-04&Issue=ATW-04_20160610_ATW-04_125&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_1_b&utm_rid=CPEN1000001734009&utm_campaign=6181&utm_medium=email&elq2=1d5804c385824ba4b2a5e7253d9dc4b2

These were the uncontested routes; there were far more frequencies than requested, so all airlines were granted their non-Havana frequencies/

For HAV, on the other hand, there were applications for about 3 or 4 times more frequencies than available; there are just 10 daily flights to HAV available.

Someone who evidently is familiar with Cuba and its air traffic commented on the ATW website that HAV is the only destination of any value in Cuba...that traffic to these other destinations is coincidental.  Hopefully some of them will become vacation destinations.  I'm old enough to remember when some of these had some rather swank waterfront hotels for the gringo vacationers.

jimntx said:
Someone who evidently is familiar with Cuba and its air traffic commented on the ATW website that HAV is the only destination of any value in Cuba...that traffic to these other destinations is coincidental.  Hopefully some of them will become vacation destinations.  I'm old enough to remember when some of these had some rather swank waterfront hotels for the gringo vacationers.

Yeah, me too.  I imagine there will be a lot of ethnic travel, with people visiting family down there. 

Does anyone know what the infrastructure down there is like?  I realize the rest of the world has been dealing with Cuba for decades, but wondered if the hotels and restaurants are up to first world standards.  I would expect a sharp increase in tourism with the country now open to 310 million people right next door.

MK

FWAAA said:
These were the uncontested routes; there were far more frequencies than requested, so all airlines were granted their non-Havana frequencies/For HAV, on the other hand, there were applications for about 3 or 4 times more frequencies than available; there are just 10 daily flights to HAV available.
I think Havana gets 20 flights a day and 10 to every other Cuban city.

Officially, tourism isn't yet allowed; the only people allowed to book and fly these routes are those who were eligible to fly to/from Cuba on the charter flights. Now, however, Americans can self-declare their license eligibility, so it's likely that some Americans will be tourists (even though typical beach tourism is not allowed).

IORFA said:
I think Havana gets 20 flights a day and 10 to every other Cuban city.
D' Oh! You're right - sorry about that. Lots more applications than those 20 frequencies.

Yes 20 daily flights. US carriers have applied for 60 flights a day and HAV is in bad shape facility wise.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if AA came in and helped to substantially upgrade/replace the airport in Havana like they have all over the Caribbean.

Not a bad idea; the terminal is...something...

4399728690_3fa1bba203.jpg

I give LAX-HAV about a year before AS cries uncle.

DFW, CLT, IAH, JFK, ATL and EWR are just as questionable as long as free travel isn't allowed.

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts