Aa Passengers Speak Out

Food, surly F/As, delays and hostile treatment seem to form the core of the complaints. I think it is because on AA's nut pack it says: "Instructions: Open packet, eat nuts."

Perhaps they treat customers with the same insulting idiocy.

I was curious so I checked out the site and checked some of the other carriers too. One review gives a 4 star and the next will never fly them again. Its the same on all of the reviews and I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle. A lot depends on the customers outlook and expectations too. It was interesting to read some "please review us" cards from customers we collected a while back. One quick check and you see how "accurate" they were, although perception is the most important factor. One question asked "Did the flight leave on time?" and they responded "No". I checked flifo and it was 4 minutes early. Should they throw out that customers survey since they got one wrong? I'd say read them all and then throw out the most angry and the most gushing and you'd probably get closer to the truth overall.
YMMV.

Some folks just gotta b!tch. I especially like the "I'll never fly them again" comments. What AA should do is put the names in a database and when they plan their next trip where AA is either cheaper or more convenient than other airlines, they should be reminded of their "never fly them again" comments.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Opinions are like assholes, we all have one and, unless you've been sitting in a pine tree . . .they all pretty much stink!

I didn't have time to read all the other airlines' comments, so I read AA and DL.

While it's clear that this is not a scientific survey, note that there are far, far more comments about mean, nasty flight attendants on AA than on DL. It can't be that the difference in the comments is just random. There really is a pervasive AAttitude problem at AA.

Check out this thread on flyertalk.com. It's saying basically the same thing:

American had an opportunity to gain a new customer and blew it. . .

Yup, AA comes in for more "attitudes" from the F/As than the other carriers. Must be APFA is training them right. My own personal experience with AA F/As has been quite good with the exception of one very poor first class service JFK-CDG. I think I know why that is, they furloughed all the TWA F/As!!!!!!!!

L1011Ret said:
Yup, AA comes in for more "attitudes" from the F/As than the other carriers. Must be APFA is training them right. My own personal experience with AA F/As has been quite good with the exception of one very poor first class service JFK-CDG. I think I know why that is, they furloughed all the TWA F/As!!!!!!!!
So fly TWA! :lol:

Every airline gets negative comments from passengers. No airline is perfect, so it happens. Yes, every airline has its nasty employees and we can't do much about that. I'm sure the majority of flight attendants have heard the saying "I'm never going to fly this airline again!" When I hear that from a passenger, I just say "I will see you next week." ;)

WingNaPrayer said:
So, in other words, the customer is just taken for granted, so the lousy service just keeps getting piled on and on?
No...because in most cases, the "I'll never fly you again" folks will fly you again if the price or schedule that is offered is better than that of the competition. Heck, Southwest has a great reputation for customer service, but when some idjut sends a letter saying "I'll never fly you again", Herb has responded with "We will miss you".

Great response to an angry customer - even though you are mad at us we understand and still want your business. AA could learn a lot from stuff like this...

A little joke I was sent. Unfortunately, I have had the worst F/A experiences of any airline (except maybe US Airways) on AA. I have seen AA flight attendants run the bar cart down the aisle and then go up front and one sits on the jump seat and the other stands at the front of the F-class cabin with her back to a planeload of passengers and "chats" with her fellow F/A for the rest of the 1:20 flight. Never once turned around. That is one example.

Here is the F/A joke:

The Flight Attendant

A guy sitting at an airport bar noticed a very attractive and beautiful woman sitting next to him. He thought to himself, "Wow, she's so gorgeous she must be a flight attendant! But which airline does she work for?"

Hoping to gain her attention, he leaned towards her and uttered the Delta slogan, "Love to fly and it shows?" She gave him a blank, confused stare and he immediately thought to himself, "Nope, not Delta."

A moment later, another slogan popped into his head. He leaned towards her again, "Come and fly the friendly skies?" She gave him the same confused look. He mentally kicked himself, and scratched United off the list..

Next he tried the Southwest slogan, "You are now free to move about the country." This time the woman turned on him, "What the f... do you want?"

The man smiled, then slumped back in his chair, and said... "Ahhh, American!"

Speaking of nasty flight attendants at AA, these two stories just fall right in line with the horrible image that FAs have been handing AA since the concessions:

American Airlines - by Jamison DeHaas

22 November 2003

MIA/STX. Typical Sunday in Miami. Nonstop flight to St. Croix. While boarding, I was behind an elderly gentleman walking with a cane. Upon boarding a male flight attendant standing at doorway and the elderly gentleman told him this airline sure makes you wear ugly ties, or something to that affect. Next thing you know airline ground personnel are boarding the plane questioning the old man because a flight attendant had told the pilot that the old man was drunk and disorderly. They talk to the man, find out he's not drunk, said he only had one beer at the bar on the concourse. He may have sounded drunk but he was deep southern, spoke with a heavy southern drawl accent. He walked funny (as the flight attendant said he was staggering) because he was a Veteran with an artificial leg) and all this had to be aired like dirty laundry in front of everyone on the plane. The flight attendant told the ground person (who was very nice and trying his best to keep the man on the plane) that this plane ain't going nowhere until he is removed. Very sad to see that American Airlines flight attendants have turned into wardens in the sky. This flight attendant was very mean. In my opinion, all because the man said something about the flight attendants tie. The man looked so embarrassed hobbling off the plane, they made him leave without his cane I guess in case he decided to whap the flight attendant on the way out. I was embarrassed for the poor man and so was everyone else.

Editor: We get numerous comments about the arrogance of AA cabin staff which are unprintable, but follow your theme. If they want to continue being so paranoid or officious, one would hope they could be found a job in the back room - sadly, union restraints prevent the best solution - to fire them and get someone who would actually enjoy and appreciate the job - are they forced to work here ?

American Airlines - by Fabian Bonavia

21 November 2003

I travelled American Airlines New York La Guardia to Key West, Florida via Miami - it was definitely the worst travel experience of my life. My flight out of La Guardia was scheduled to leave at 5.10pm and I was at the airport 2 hours earlier. The check in lounge looked like a storehouse with agents yelling their heads off. The American airline gates were dirty and noisy with torn seats and dirty carpets. 1 hour prior to scheduled departure a 45 minute delay notice was posted on the monitor. A few minutes later, a 1 hour 30 minute delay was posted. The agent only showed up around 30 minutes prior to departure with many people left helpless at the desk. The pilots themselves had to help us out. The Boeing 757 was old and scruffy and the IFE was pitiful - charging $2 for a headset! I asked the stewardess whether I could leave the aircraft before other passengers as I ran the risk of missing my connecting flight. She said that I would probably miss it anyway and ignored my request - however, prior to landing, another stewardess made an announcement assuring passengers that they would get on their connecting flight. Running from one terminal to another in a streak of panic, I (along with at least 20 other passengers) lost the last flight out to Key West by just 5 minutes. Knowing that there was a 2 hour delay at LGA, AA personnel made no effort to wait a few minutes - they couldn't care less. The AA agent at MIA said that the flight had to leave because the tower at Key West closes at 11pm! However, AA insists on scheduling Key West flights this late at night anyway. He also made it quite clear that no passengers were going to be compensated for accommodation or car hire. I had to fork out $100 to stay in the mediocre MIA hotel. The next morning I went to the US desk to get my boarding pass. The US air agent said that I had to go back to the AA desk and get a ticket because the document that AA had given me specifying that I should travel on the US Air flight was useless. The AA agent (who could hardly speak a word of English) ended up giving me a coupon not a ticket! When the US Air agent told me that it was also inadequate, I went back to the AA desk and yelled at the top of my voice saying that I was not going to miss another flight because of someone elses incompetence. The agent finally gave me a boarding pass and I managed to get on the US air flight in the nick of time. On returning from Key West, the ATR-72 was more filthy than the 757, with the seatbelt actually staining by shirt. I will never ever travel with AA again. It is a disgrace to the airline industry.

Source: SkyTrax.com