Additional widebody aircraft

damajagua

Veteran
Jul 17, 2009
There is a rumor on the line that we are getting
4 777-300 and 4 747-400 from japan airlines. Has
Anyone else heard about this?

Yes, I have heard this rumor quite often but am very doubtful. When you fly for an airline that has had it's tail between it's legs for so long, it is hard to imagine growth and anything more than the status quo. The only thing that seems hopeful to me is that the company was supposed to announce the new routes from JFK on September 10th and we got a message from the JFK base manager that the announcement has been pushed back to early October. I have a hard time believing they are still deciding which new cities are to be served but it makes sense that they could still be working out the logistics of added some new planes to do expansion. I guess we will find out in a few weeks.

If only a rumour, the 777s would make sense. I cannot see the 747s entering the fray. Back to 4 engines, training, tooling, parts, etc....doesn't make sense unless BA operates them.

Interesting, but while a handful of 777-300's would help in a few markets, it would be a routing nightmare and a bit of a step backward when AMR's spent so much time trying to get a more homogeneous fleet. The -200s and -300's have PW4000 variants, and the -300ER's have GE90's. Not exactly compatible with AMR's Trent powered fleet.

Likewise with the 744's. JAL is retiring the entire fleet, but I don't think they're coming to America anytime soon unless it's for storage..

The only wildcard might be the 772 non-ER's. For the right price, I've always said those might make a good A300 replacement for mid-hauls to the Caribbean and northern South America.

There's zero chance that AA will acquire 747s or 777-300s from JAL or any other airline. JAL has announced that it will retire all 747s within a year or so and replace with 777s.

If AA needs/wants additional aircraft, it would call Boeing and order 777-200ERs to join the 47 others already flying for AA.

There's zero chance that AA will acquire 747s or 777-300s from JAL or any other airline. JAL has announced that it will retire all 747s within a year or so and replace with 777s.

If AA needs/wants additional aircraft, it would call Boeing and order 777-200ERs to join the 47 others already flying for AA.

And i'm sure they have Boeing on speed dial if only them dang unions would vote their contracts in.

And i'm sure they have Boeing on speed dial if only them dang unions would vote their contracts in.

AA is cheap they will take the bastard of the fleet in a minute. look at Twa aircraaft i dont think one of those aircraft have the same parts. Example APU 's two or threee different ones ,no auto brakes on one,the next one has totally different set-up. These Aircraft we Purchased might as well be AIRBUS they are that different. So much for a common fleet.They cause noting but delays !!!!! and OTS time.

AA is cheap they will take the bastard of the fleet in a minute. look at Twa aircraaft i dont think one of those aircraft have the same parts. Example APU 's two or threee different ones ,no auto brakes on one,the next one has totally different set-up. These Aircraft we Purchased might as well be AIRBUS they are that different. So much for a common fleet.They cause noting but delays !!!!! and OTS time.

I don't think the ex-TW fleet are owned aircraft. TWA owned very little at the end -- IIRC, just about everything else was leased with the exception of the DC9-30's and maybe one or two of the widebodies which were parked and never crossed over to operating as LLC. As soon as the leases are up, the Airline of Misfit Toys will be gone.

Just wondering has anyone heard anything else about these 74's lately ???

The guy I am flying with today said he flew with a captain that went to Japan for vacation. On landing in NRT, he saw 11, parked 777's all silver with just the One World logo and Japan airlines on the tail.

Could these be ours?

M

U.S.-based AerSale on Thursday announced the purchase of a fleet of 19 Boeing 747-400s from Japan Air Lines. The fleet of passenger planes is powered by CF6-80C2B1F engines.

“We believe most of these aircraft will continue to fly, whether as passenger aircraft or as freighters,” added Robert Nichols, AerSale’s Chief Operating Officer. “This said, we are proceeding to disassemble a few of the aircraft and a good many of the engines installed on wing so as to position AerSale to become the leading provider of aftermarket CF6-80C2 engines and material.”

AerSale is a global provider of aftermarket aircraft engines, and their component parts to airlines, leasing companies, and OEM/MRO service providers. Its parent company is AerSale Holdings Inc.

full article here

Latest posts