Aerial Fire Fighting

Outback Jim

Jul 8, 2004
G'day all

Down here in South Australia we have a big problem with summer bushfires, as does most of southern Australia. Currently the Country Fire Service (CFS) use Air Tractor 802Fs, which are an excellent aeroplane, but there has been pressure by politicians and other know-it-alls over the years to use something bigger, eg the Bombadier 415. The problem is that we have no lakes to pick water up from, plus very hilly terrain, so the ATs seem better. Plus, they are cheaper - about $1.3million each, versus $27m for the big things, which only carry twice as much water. I am biased somewhat because we live only 2km from the airstrip and I do love the sound of the Air Tractors, plus the reassurance that they are so close in the event of a fire.

My question is: what aircraft do other countries in situations like ours use? I'd say our geography would be similar to parts of Europe and the USA with dry, dense forests (we have 80+% of rainfall in winter), steep ranges, narrow gullies, no surface water and short (900m runways), plus lots of houses with little fire protection.

Any advice/feedback/comments/etc would be welcomed.

Thanks all!

Back