Aircraft Damage Incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
This puts a really, really bad stain on Alaska's safety record.

This exactly why a “if you hit a plane your firedâ€￾ policy will not work.

No. I don't think it reflects on Alaska at all. All of us use contract help somewhere in our systems. Now, the contract ramp company, that's another matter.

While most of us here on these boards understand completely what you are saying, the general public only sees "Alaska Airlines". Same issue when something happens with a feeder carrier...whoever's paint is on that piece of equipment takes the blame in the public's eye. And I guess, to play devil's advocate, I can understand to a degree. AS contracts out to a company so to me...this incident would taint my view of their (AS's) safety even though it was the contracted company's fault.

While you and I know who is to blame for this incident, the general public blames AS.

While most of us here on these boards understand completely what you are saying, the general public only sees "Alaska Airlines". Same issue when something happens with a feeder carrier...whoever's paint is on that piece of equipment takes the blame in the public's eye. And I guess, to play devil's advocate, I can understand to a degree. AS contracts out to a company so to me...this incident would taint my view of their (AS's) safety even though it was the contracted company's fault.

While you and I know who is to blame for this incident, the general public blames AS.

I agree wholeheartedly

Yeah. I'm glad regular employees have never had an accident or creased an airplane.
They have, but at least they know how critical it is to REPORT the Damage. In my 26 years with the Airline, I have seen several A/C incidents, but have NEVER have known of any that were not reported. Most of these Boneheads that work for the vendors don't know squat, and could care less about anything for their poverty wages. Remember that these folks are a level below the McDonalds crowd. It is no secret that there is a revolving door of employees with these contract vendors.

Honestly guys you CAN NOT blame this on outsourcing. It was by all accounts a mistake. One that ANY ramper could have made.

These kind of things happen, Often as a result of poor training and supervision. Look at the new hire situation in PHL it's a potential disaster waiting to happen,

It has little if anything to do with outsourcing and everything to do with training & supervision.
Yes you can blame it on Outsourcing!! As stated in the last sentence of your post,training & supervision are severely lacking with these "Fly-by-Night" vendors. They get the contract with their low ball bids, and do the bare minimums when it comes to training their poeple. As soon as you get a few of them trained, they leave and you have another group of newbies to work with. Please keep in mind that with the wages that these vendors are paying that very few of these workers are there for the long term.
At my former station they have had a difficult time keeping anyone longer that a few months. Now that we are into the winter, that will shorten their stay even more.
Heck, the Supervisors hardly make $10 an hour with these contractors, so you know these folks are Top-notch leaders...

a sad example of an outsourcing came whe USAIRways express Air Midwest crashed on takeoff in CLT in Jan of 2003. thank God that this crew was able to land that bird

It has little if anything to do with outsourcing and everything to do with training & supervision.

Outsourcing & training/supervision go hand in hand.

Airlines want to save a buck? Where will all the money they "save" go? into training/supervising the outsourcing company's employees? You think that these outsourced companies invest a lot of money into training/supervision?

Nothing is 100%. But you come MUCH closer when you pay an individual a fair wage AND treat them with respect. The dividends a company receives when they do this can not be bought.

Now, what if a outsourced AMT had the same attitude as this ramper at Alaska Airlines?

I have been told that the A/C damage done by ramp vendors at US are in the ballpark of 24 Million Bucks so far this year....So how much Money was really saved by Outsourcing over 20 Stations??? :down:

Now, what if a outsourced AMT had the same attitude as this ramper at Alaska Airlines?
many years ago shortly after I just recieved my A&P tickets I went to work for a MOH facility which did only contract third party work. an incident occured when a mechanic cut thru a stringer in a cargo and tried to cover his mistake with primer, fortunately a Q/A inspector caught it before the floorboards were reinstalled. An Investigation did lead to this mechanic and his termination, but I wonder how many more Incidents like this have gone un-detected? the key word here is "THIRD PARTY CONTRACT" these people have NO loyalty to these outfits, the turnover rate is atrocious, and the training is a joke!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts