Aircraft maint issues

You crack me up! Ever since we been working on AA metal we find you guys need to go back to the basics of aircraft maintenance. Your guys do a bullshit walk around and then go watch tv. Our guys are stuck changing your tires and brakes. I've been in aviation for 37 years and your maintenance program needed help. No more FAA guys in your pocket! IMO
Sorry pal but your confused. AA had a stellar maintenance program because we kept it all in house. I've seen aircraft come out of heavy c checks that looked almost brand new. Cargo pits were clean with new liners and buffed out floors. Cockpits were cleaned up with attention to detail. Cabins were emmaculent. Galleys looked new. EE racks cleaned and treated. Wheel wells clean and coated for protection. And more that I can't remember. Why? Because it was done in house with pride from employees that were proud of their work. No way will you see a third party contractor spend that much time to detail and attention. I don't know how well or bad AWA maintained their aircraft but don't go telling us our maintenance program sucks or is not up to your standards. Our fleet is larger and more diverse than AWA ever was. We did this all inhouse. Ask yourself how many times you had to clean up an aircraft right out of contract overhaul? Since AA started outsourcing our heavies we had many issues to address right out of overhaul.
We even had to finish up some work cards on the line because the third party contractor fell behind. If you think that AWA was in good financial shape along with USAIR then go and look at the DP road show in Philadelphia if it's still available from last year or so. Doug Parker said that USAIR needed a merger partner or else they were going down the tubes. He pleaded with investors to front the cash for the merger with no collateral. He admitted it was a big risk. Watch the townhall meeting. He says it all. His words, not mine.
BTW, AA had a 767-200 aircraft # 301.
Our first 767. I believe the left engine ran so good that it made it to TBO. GE wanted the engine for analysis. The only CF6-80 at the time that made it to overhaul due to time. So what does that have to say about our maintenance versus yours for your 757 RR engine? Honestly nothing.

Last edited:
You crack me up! Ever since we been working on AA metal we find you guys need to go back to the basics of aircraft maintenance. Your guys do a bullshit walk around and then go watch tv. Our guys are stuck changing your tires and brakes. I've been in aviation for 37 years and your maintenance program needed help. No more FAA guys in your pocket! IMO
Take a chill pill Matty. I never denigrated AW AMTs or their work habits, nor would I. You can apologize later. I know the problem stems from failed AW/US management and the desired to cut maintenance costs to pad their yearly bonuses, as we now have them (and Northwest) taking the wrecking ball to the AA maintenance with billions in yearly profits.

FAA guys in AA pocket? Could be, but I can assure you they aren't on our side as AMTs. I guess you don't remember the FAA grounding AA MD-80s for hydraulic pump wire ties to make a point.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1AA
Spare us your lecture. Unfortunately for you and as per usual, you don't have a clue what happened over here. I am pleased to see that you didn't cry endlessly about "your money" or how AMFA didn't cave in a bring back you (SWA) a concessionary T/A for "us to look at" and you could vote "yes" for. Progress for you I guess.

One more thing, stop using a !!!! to end every sentence at the end. Makes you look like immature failed Reamster minion.
I forgot you were the punctuation police, I think I really know what you guys problems are. I had a friend of mine that worked for the original National Airlines, and then Pam Am came and bought them, because they needed National 's domestic route structure. He said it was always the Orange and Blue division just like you guys are American and U.S. Air and both sides were bitter. Hackman you blame it on Parker, or the Association, which you hate. The fault lives in your own bitterness, management doesn't have to do anything neither does your union because you will never come together as a team, you guys just fight among yourselves.So if you think AMFA would solve your problems if you could ever get them in there , it would not! I would welcome the Teamsters back anyday because what we have at SWA is a country club union, that can't make up it's mind what it wants. People want to blame SWA management, but when every other work group at SWA has either passed a new contract, or voted on one, and rejected it. The mechanics here have not, and if you guys had the same situation at American, you guys would be calling for changes big time.

What the f are you talking about faa in our pocket. I’ve worked here at laa 33 years and I can tell you when the 767 and 777 came from Tulsa then afw . The airplanes came back clean. Now since they have been out sourced the 767 takes many delays not the airplanes fault but the fault of third party’s . The 777 come back from China with about 4 are 5 pages of EICAS messages . When aa did them they were clean also . So you are full of it our guys do there jobs. You must be a Parker Cronie and the one at the Chicago who got up at the town hall meeting.

Where have you been for the last 30 years? Look around, your biggest problem isn't your union, it's what happened to the rest of us. We may have recently passed you in hourly pay, but that's about it. You guys have probably the best benefits package around. You get awarded life changing amounts of money for profit sharing every year; in contrast to us at AA getting a fraction of what you received. AMFA is fighting from the top of the hill, when you're at the top - it's a tougher sell to justify even more. I wish we had your problems!

The board of directors wanted to file for BK to dump as many liabilities as possible - including CBAs, and Gerard Arpey did not. The board then asked Arpey to leave, and brought in Horton. Horton was not well liked by anybody, so enough employees were sold on the idea of bringing the former AA employee on as a replacement for old butter face Horton. It wasn't until after the change in leadership, that Doug's misdeeds really came to light. By then it was too late. There was a plea to bring Robert Crandall back out of retirement.
Vortilon, I had to add the ignore list in order to follow who and what you were referring to. A lot of us in our thread has put this individual anas well as others on ignore so it was hard to follow. You are 100% correct that it is damm hard to fight for more in excess while being at or near the top. Our Pilots got what they were requesting to bring them more in line with what other airlines were giving their Pilots for retirement, 401K and PS. This is something he does not recognise so for that I apologise for his comments. Another thing he does not see is you guys are in no way or fashion at this time trying to bring AMFA in at AA, so not sure where he got all that BS from either. Our union and company has just came to an AIP with our FMT's who just became AMFA represented and this will be their first contract ever. There were 4 other groups that have to get their first contract as they have just voted to bring AMFA in as their represenative union. AMFA has a lot on their plate going at the same time, not to mention some terminations and other top priority issues currently at hand as well as a new contract for the mechanics, not making excuses just pointing out some facts. Now that our FMT's might be out of the way (contract vote coming soon) maybe we can focuss more on the final group left us mechanics.

Oh oh, look what made the news again.
It's a matter of time until the IAMPF goes down this road. No new members and retirees will be drawing. I hope we aa guys don't get suckered into the pyramid scam of the IAMPF.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...s-pension-payouts-shrink-30-article-1.3494073

I hate to say it but that is the way of the pensions in the future and this asso. does not see this. I honestly hope you guys get a choice rather to join or not, but I really don't see an option coming. Another 30% wack coming to the teamsters pensions. Some have lived long enough for this second chopping block of their pensions, sad to see indeed.

Vortilon, I had to add the ignore list in order to follow who and what you were referring to. A lot of us in our thread has put this individual anas well as others on ignore so it was hard to follow. You are 100% correct that it is damm hard to fight for more in excess while being at or near the top. Our Pilots got what they were requesting to bring them more in line with what other airlines were giving their Pilots for retirement, 401K and PS. This is something he does not recognise so for that I apologise for his comments. Another thing he does not see is you guys are in no way or fashion at this time trying to bring AMFA in at AA, so not sure where he got all that BS from either. Our union and company has just came to an AIP with our FMT's who just became AMFA represented and this will be their first contract ever. There were 4 other groups that have to get their first contract as they have just voted to bring AMFA in as their represenative union. AMFA has a lot on their plate going at the same time, not to mention some terminations and other top priority issues currently at hand as well as a new contract for the mechanics, not making excuses just pointing out some facts. Now that our FMT's might be out of the way (contract vote coming soon) maybe we can focuss more on the final group left us mechanics.

I hate to say it but that is the way of the pensions in the future and this asso. does not see this. I honestly hope you guys get a choice rather to join or not, but I really don't see an option coming. Another 30% wack coming to the teamsters pensions. Some have lived long enough for this second chopping block of their pensions, sad to see indeed.
It's called denial Swamt your problem is you don't want to address that people are tired of waiting, no communication when we will have these road shows, no time line for an agreement. If we aren't in line for what you perceive as your view of the world you refuse to acknowledge it, now you guys on this American board see why we are frustrated, wish you guys luck.

Hackman and Conehead, you have your opinion of AA mx! I'm not going to argue with either one of you. I am surely not going to apologize for my opinion! Let's get back on track. TWU will out vote the IAM members and we will be stuck with an inferior contract. All I hear is how much TWU likes the IAM contract. You are under a great bankruptcy contract. We are not! I for one would like to keep my pension and also have the company match 3% in a 401k. I understand you don't want to join the IAM pension. I am really ok with that as my fellow technicians. I just don't want to lose what I currently have. As for outsourcing mx I do like the percentage you guys keep in house. Remember I'm not the enemy, management has taken that position.

Hackman and Conehead, you have your opinion of AA mx! I'm not going to argue with either one of you. I am surely not going to apologize for my opinion! Let's get back on track. TWU will out vote the IAM members and we will be stuck with an inferior contract. All I hear is how much TWU likes the IAM contract. You are under a great bankruptcy contract. We are not! I for one would like to keep my pension and also have the company match 3% in a 401k. I understand you don't want to join the IAM pension. I am really ok with that as my fellow technicians. I just don't want to lose what I currently have. As for outsourcing mx I do like the percentage you guys keep in house. Remember I'm not the enemy, management has taken that position.
I hope you guys can come together and not end up fighting like every other shotgun wedding in the aviation industry, at least your contract does not expire till 2018. At least you guys have enough numbers to make a difference, our group at SWA is really to small, to much infighting, not enough information, ect.

I hope you guys can come together and not end up fighting like every other shotgun wedding in the aviation industry, at least your contract does not expire till 2018. At least you guys have enough numbers to make a difference, our group at SWA is really to small, to much infighting, not enough information, ect.

At least our contract doesn't expire till 2018? Wow, I want you negotiating for us.....said nobody ever. Funny you say that though, are you sure you're not already on the TWU negotiating committee? Seriously though, with the current pace of our negotiations - that approach to the process seems to be the way it is.

At least our contract doesn't expire till 2018? Wow, I want you negotiating for us.....said nobody ever. Funny you say that though, are you sure you're not already on the TWU negotiating committee? Seriously though, with the current pace of our negotiations - that approach to the process seems to be the way it is.
I thought your contract didn't expire till 2018, and you are trying to get a JCBA, if I am wrong correct me

See what I mean. Hes clueless...

See what I mean. Hes clueless...
I am clueless, it seems to me, these guys are complaining about the exact same things we are.So I guess they can complain about their association, but if we complain about the lack of progress for a T/ A in over 5 years that AMFA has been in charge of, plus all the legal fees we have paid; thats wrong! I could see you blaming management if no other group has had a contract to look at, however that is not the case.But I am the clueless one, what a laugh Swamt.

Latest posts