Aircraft maint issues

Does anybody know what we are asking for in negotiations?

As far as what I can make out, we are at a standstill because our union doesn't want mandatory OT, something that has been in our contracts as far back as I can remember.

Does anybody know what the company is offering, I want to know how upset I should be.

Hearsay...

There's a whole thread about the incident, look it up. Just my belief, but, I doubt UA or AA can dictate to Airport boards what they can do on their airport.

The following is my belief and has nothing to do with arrogance:

IT IS about loss of work. We as a group (FAA Certificated Airmen with the ratings of Airframe and Powerplant) keep telling ourselves and everyone else that, it's okay, those guys can do that work. And sure, with enough training and experience they can. But,,, we already have the training and experience, we went through schools and took training courses have lifetimes of experience behind us making the call on bigtime safety related issues with 100s of lives in the mix and millions of dollars worth of equipment. Is there some arrogance there? You bet...Ive paid my dues along with all the other A&Ps at this airline. .When do we put our foot down and say enough? Will it be when there are just 2 of us left sitting in the break room wondering what happened and no longer have the power to do anything about it?
Your definition "Airmen" is for pilots. Not for fixer uppers.

The term airmen applies to pilots, ATC, A&P, parachute riggers, and aircraft dispatcher.

PART 65—CERTIFICATION: AIRMEN OTHER THAN FLIGHT CREWMEMBERS

Its not in our contract and we don't want it!

Why not in the contract? There are steps that have to be followed by the co. for mandatory o/t call out. Most times, in aviation, it's pretty easy to fill because you have thousands upon thousands of younger starting out mechanics that are very money hungry. I believe our steps are to use all "voluntary overtime" in the o/t book, then make contact with every single person on current shifts (on the clock) and ask for volunteers from highest seniority to lowest, then if co. still does not have the man power they need then they can go into mandatory o/t from lowest seniority to highest on clock, then they can start calling people at home even if they are not signed up for any overtime and that too is done in reversed seniority. It usually will never get to mandatory overtime, but if it ever does, at least there are steps to be followed.

Its not in our contract and we don't want it!

Hypothetically, what if this was the ONLY issue preventing a contract which offered better pay and benefits, vacation time, sick time holiday and holiday pay.etc etc...basically a damn good contract and not concessionary except for mandatory overtime....hypothetically now....Would you still be a no vote?
We have mandatory OT and the last time I saw any mechanic forced was about 25 years ago. And that was by seniority....Lowest first to be forced.

Mandatory OT is definitely not a sticking point for me. I've only been white slipped (mandatory ot) a handful of times in nearly 27 years. That being said, the devil is in the details. Are they proposing some wild departure from our (twu) white slip rules? Is the IAM side balking because it's new to them? On balance with Delta +7%, vacation, sick time, holidays and restoration of improved OT pay. I would not vote NO over mandatory OT.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good points, a major thing these negotiations have proven is that this association has too many voices going in different directions.

IAM and the mandatory OT, don't mind digging in their heels. The TWU guys don't care about mandatory OT, all the while the IAM guys are working under a pretty decent contract while the TWU guys have the BK contract. Which is worse then the 2003 contract which no other airline mechanic has had to work under. It would be nice to know what we are asking for and what we are being offered.

Side note, the FAs pay half what we pay for union dues. They got a contract 2 years ago, they also get a 10% contribution to their 401Ks. They got jump seat privileges put in their contract so only FAs get that perk. If you were a former TWA or AFW mechanic commuting home, you would want that perk. When Brazil hgr ramps up, the Tulsa guys would want that perk.