Aircraft maint issues

I believe the other side of that is, if everyone refuses OT then management can work on the planes. Is that correct? If so, im not good with that.

It's never a good idea to MAKE a mechanic stay if doesn't want to. I'm sure they would only make that mistake once or twice.

Managers aren't generally recruited into management because of their mechanical abilities. They're there usually because they were about to be laid off or wanted to relocate someplace they couldn't transfer to. More often then not members of management didn't want to work as mechanics any longer. So that would be interesting to see how managers do working OT in our place.

You can blame the company all you want, and yes, they are dragging their feet. But don't believe anyone when they tell you the Association has it all worked out among themselves. When the big boys join, it will not only be to convince the company, but it will also be to mend some fences between the two unions. It will be a trade off among the two. Some of the articles that haven't even been touched is because the two Association members can't even see eye to eye on it. Can't bring it to the table if you can't even agree among each other...

You can blame the company all you want, and yes, they are dragging their feet. But don't believe anyone when they tell you the Association has it all worked out among themselves. When the big boys join, it will not only be to convince the company, but it will also be to mend some fences between the two unions. It will be a trade off among the two. Some of the articles that haven't even been touched is because the two Association members can't even see eye to eye on it. Can't bring it to the table if you can't even agree among each other...

Couldn't agree more. Sure it looks like the company is dragging their feet. But how far apart are the IAM and TWU on many issues? Just look at the mandatory overtime argument. I personally am ok with it.. Always have been. the IAM guys don't like it. When it comes to differences in both sides' contracts, they (the Association) are the ones that are going to be dragging their feet.

Last edited:
I can't blame the IAM guys for not agreeing to any concession. Mandatory O.T. is a concession to them. Isom said no concessions and this is an example of one.

I can't blame the IAM guys for not agreeing to any concession. Mandatory O.T. is a concession to them. Isom said no concessions and this is an example of one.

We are making $47 an hour, because Doug wanted to give us one, but we also gave a concession to get that raise.

When the rest of the employees got the 4% raises they gave up nothing, when Doug went ahead and GAVE the FAs another 6% raise, the FAs gave up nothing, our union officials certainly don't get the respect that other union officials do. Maybe if we had just ONE union and ONE union official that spoke for us and answered to a union board of directors like the other unions, maybe we would be in a better position.

This is the first I've heard about any mediatory overtime issue slowing down the JCBA.

Actually, we do have mandatory overtime in our contract, but it's for de-icing only. They took de-icing away some time ago, so it's a non-issue.

And really there's no need for mandatory overtime around here. The guys would kill you in the parking lot if they thought you manipulated the list and got a overtime call they should have. We never have a problem finding the overtime manpower.

Plus, they can call from other departments if by some strange chance they couldn't find the people. And in all my years, I can remember only one overtime ban, and it lasted a total of 8 hours.

This is the first I've heard about any mediatory overtime issue slowing down the JCBA.

Actually, we do have mandatory overtime in our contract, but it's for de-icing only. They took de-icing away some time ago, so it's a non-issue.

And really there's no need for mandatory overtime around here. The guys would kill you in the parking lot if they thought you manipulated the list and got a overtime call they should have. We never have a problem finding the overtime manpower.

Plus, they can call from other departments if by some strange chance they couldn't find the people. And in all my years, I can remember only one overtime ban, and it lasted a total of 8 hours.

It's good to see that LUS and LAA mechs are exactly the same. Another mech would stab me in the back with a plastic spoon to get a 4 over.

Could you imagine if the supervisors got to pick who stayed OT.

I wonder what the holdup is with the contract.

I don't think it is safe for any mechanic, line or base..Wait until you see the walking dead zombies working along side you..Then let us know what you think.
I have seen it. Hell we had guys at one point sleeping in the parking lot for a few hours just to get some extra OT.
There should be limits, but FAA imposed limits. Not union imposed.
Do you seriously not understand the difference between line and overhaul work? I think you are either naive or you are not being sincere. Not going to go into details but anyone who has worked both would have to agree they are quite different.
As far as MROs in South America, AA is building hangars in Brazil and they are going to consider that line work. Yes I do have a huge issue with any work that is outsourced. But I have a bigger issue with the TWU allowing this to be considered line work when it is not. When the layoff hit the overhaul guys they'll have to go to the line stations and that in turn will put some line guys and some overhaul guys who either can't bump or can't afford to go to places like JFK or LAX on the street. Nobody should happy about that.
We better start watching each other's backs or we'll all suffer. I have a problem with ANYONE getting laid off or bumped from their station. Every one of us has a family and families are affected by each layoff.
I understand the difference in work, but I don't see how it matters in the shift swapping issue.
A tired mechanic is a tired mechanic. Doesn't matter if he/she is doing line, airframe, engine etc work. Its just as easy to make a mistake.
I've read this on here several times. Where is this info coming from? Can you provide a reference or is this just more rumor?
here

We are making $47 an hour, because Doug wanted to give us one, but we also gave a concession to get that raise.

When the rest of the employees got the 4% raises they gave up nothing, when Doug went ahead and GAVE the FAs another 6% raise, the FAs gave up nothing, our union officials certainly don't get the respect that other union officials do. Maybe if we had just ONE union and ONE union official that spoke for us and answered to a union board of directors like the other unions, maybe we would be in a better position.
Good point but do you have any confidence in either of the unions? One likes to give benefits away for pennies on the dollar and the other is selling a bankrupt pension. I vote for option C.

Good point but do you have any confidence in either of the unions? One likes to give benefits away for pennies on the dollar and the other is selling a bankrupt pension. I vote for option C.

Hey I am new here, does anybody know who Tom McDaniel is? Supposedly he is getting fired from the ATD and I have never heard of him.

I'm new to AA and trying to follow along on a bunch of threads and had heard about a guy the ATD is trying to get rid of, he is southwest not AA, thanks

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nasti...vbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDREZENl8xBHNlYwNzcg--

And AA just invested $100 million in a GRU facility, when there are empty hgr bays in DFW and ORD that I know of, with airplanes just sitting there.

So the next time you here some loud mouth talking about how Trump is different and he cares about the working man, you can tell him about our situation.

Another thought,,,,, AA closes MCI AFW TAESL gives aircraft movement to Fleet, and invests $100M in GRU hanger. All the while delaying our contract negotiations. It sucks not being valued by our employer.

Last edited:
Members at TWU Local 100 overwhelmingly ratified their new contract with the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority (MTA) yesterday. Voting by a 70–30 percent margin, the members will see inflation-beating wage increases, health care gains, and other significant economic enhancements. This is a concession-free contract, which will now be presented to the MTA Board, where swift approval is expected.

http://www.twu.org/blog/tabid/84/vw/1/itemid/950/local-100-members-ratify-new-contract.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Couldn't agree more. Sure it looks like the company is dragging their feet. But how far apart are the IAM and TWU on many issues? Just look at the mandatory overtime argument. I personally am ok with it.. Always have been. the IAM guys don't like it. When it comes to differences in both sides' contracts, they (the Association) are the ones that are going to be dragging their feet.

I'm curious if you would admit to being anti-union? A "personally am OK" quote is nothing more than a selfish statement...somewhat like "IGM"?! History of Unionism was born from the demands put to the Labor lineage of 18-20 hour workdays mandated and today many are willing to regress back? This also has a negative bearing on hiring practices. Look, the insistence of our employer to put mandatory verbiage into the JCBA emphasizes our ignorance as to OT being our number one form of leverage.

It's good to see that LUS and LAA mechs are exactly the same. Another mech would stab me in the back with a plastic spoon to get a 4 over.

Could you imagine if the supervisors got to pick who stayed OT.

I wonder what the holdup is with the contract.

The holdups are many and most being basic standards.Our employer won't even respond to a holiday pay proposal!

None of us will support a situation; ASSociation, that never applied a democratic process to represent us! Yet, even speaking as a previous organizer to replace these two Unions, it is what we presently have and need find ways for all of us to draw the best out of them. To keep falling back on our interests to criticize them at this time is just a distraction.
Also friend, I missed your reprint of your Christmas poem. Stay healthy.