Aircraft maint issues

Very good points, a major thing these negotiations have proven is that this association has too many voices going in different directions.

IAM and the mandatory OT, don't mind digging in their heels. The TWU guys don't care about mandatory OT, all the while the IAM guys are working under a pretty decent contract while the TWU guys have the BK contract. Which is worse then the 2003 contract which no other airline mechanic has had to work under. It would be nice to know what we are asking for and what we are being offered.

Side note, the FAs pay half what we pay for union dues. They got a contract 2 years ago, they also get a 10% contribution to their 401Ks. They got jump seat privileges put in their contract so only FAs get that perk. If you were a former TWA or AFW mechanic commuting home, you would want that perk. When Brazil hgr ramps up, the Tulsa guys would want that perk.

Become a flight attendant if its a great deal over there.

I'm curious if you would admit to being anti-union? A "personally am OK" quote is nothing more than a selfish statement...somewhat like "IGM"?! History of Unionism was born from the demands put to the Labor lineage of 18-20 hour workdays mandated and today many are willing to regress back? This also has a negative bearing on hiring practices. Look, the insistence of our employer to put mandatory verbiage into the JCBA emphasizes our ignorance as to OT being our number one form of leverage.

The holdups are many and most being basic standards.Our employer won't even respond to a holiday pay proposal!

None of us will support a situation; ASSociation, that never applied a democratic process to represent us! Yet, even speaking as a previous organizer to replace these two Unions, it is what we presently have and need find ways for all of us to draw the best out of them. To keep falling back on our interests to criticize them at this time is just a distraction.
Also friend, I missed your reprint of your Christmas poem. Stay healthy.
Haha. The Christmas poem was a long time ago. I am surprised anyone remembers that. But you are right in that we need to figure out how to stick together as all of us would benefit. But as we continue to make no progress AA saves a bundle on us that they are using to build hangars in Brazil and who knows where else? At some point we have to make a statement to the company and wearing a certain colored shirt on a certain day will not do that. We need our respective unions to start a picket campaign at all airports.

Pretty much everyone anticipated what freaking mess it is. Except for the people that are supposed to anticipate things like that. Idiots...

Pretty much everyone anticipated what freaking mess it is. Except for the people that are supposed to anticipate things like that. Idiots...

Who knew health care would be so complicated? Everybody!!!

Who knew two unions forming an association (without the approval of the membership)
Would be so complicated? Everybody!!!!

Lucky for the union they have no accountability

Last edited:
Sorry.... next time I fly (which is usually when I buy tickets) I'll be thinking of how the company has been screwing me into the ground with the help of my paid representative. I couldnt give 2 shites about how they build a wing box.
So you have no interest in emerging aviation technology?

I try to share things in this thread I think might impact the industry. Quite frankly your response was out of line and a bit rude.

I would not call pulling almost 6 figures a year and phenomenal health insurance exactly screwing you into the ground.

I would say you have a very good working environment and are well compensated.

I will agree with you that AA sick and vacation policy are right out of the stone age though. Of course with the CS policy that is hardly an issue.

What about your almost 6 figure income and very reasonable insurance are you so unhappy about?

I would say comparatively your income vs investment (the cost and time for your A&P) ratio is way above par. How many people do you know pull almost 6 figures base income with 2 years worth of education?

Actually La Li I was a bit frustrated that I posted up some press out of the Star Telegram for mechanics and a Seymour quote and without further comment the topic changed to future technology of center wing box construction which IS interesting but might put a bunch of guys out of work at Mitsubishi Heavy in Japan where 787 center wing boxes are built sometime in the distant future.

Now, as to my income and benefit package vs time served or experience aquired... I remember from school we were told it was a license to learn...if you have not been in my shoes or are aware of all the things i have done to get to where i am now over the last 35+ years, you can hardly stand there and judge me and my income and my criticism of our current situation when compared to my peers at other airlines of which we are last in everything except pay. I need the other things as well, vacation, sick time, better health insurance and holidays. My peer at dl gets a $12000 ps check , i get 2k.

I try to share things in this thread I think might impact the industry. Quite frankly your response was out of line and a bit rude.

I would not call pulling almost 6 figures a year and phenomenal health insurance exactly screwing you into the ground.

I will agree with you that AA sick and vacation policy are right out of the stone age though. Of course with the CS policy that is hardly an issue.

What about your almost 6 figure income and very reasonable insurance are you so unhappy about?

I would say comparatively your income vs investment (the cost and time for your A&P) ratio is way above par. How many people do you know pull almost 6 figures base income with 2 years worth of education?

The name of the thread is aircraft maint issues. I posted an extremely relavent article with Seymour and union leaderships quotes.

You posted what you think is relavent which is making wing boxes with a printer. Let me tell you, not relavent at all.

Your either not paying attention or you here to purposely spin.

Then,,, you have the cajones to tell me that I'm lucky to have my job and make what I do.

Stay in your lane clerk or what ever it is you do.

I will do you one better than that. How about a flight dispatcher who gets their certification in 5 to 6 weeks. Dispatchers at the major airlines pay is far higher than a mechanic and they have cockpit jumpseat privileges at other airlines like the pilots have. Top dispatchers at UPS and SWA are making close to 150k without overtime and now DL UA and AA are around the same. That job is THE best return on investment bar none. Where can you get a certification in anything in 5 to 6 weeks much less pull in that kind of money after a few years paying your dues. Even hairdressers have to go to school for a year. If I had known about this 30 years ago I would have never got an A@P I would have went that route. Oh and speaking of return on investment I really should have been a cop in NJ. All my friends that were cops they are retired and living in Florida on a 90k a year retirement and they have been retired for years and are my age (53) but I picked aviation so I will drop dead in this place before I ever get to retire thanks to unions like the IAM and companies like NW. Ok rant over!

Last edited:
Now, as to my income and benefit package vs time served or experience aquired... I remember from school we were told it was a license to learn...
That is anybody ever.What exactly is your point?

if you have not been in my shoes or are aware of all the things i have done to get to where i am now over the last 35+ years, you can hardly stand there and judge me and my income and my criticism of our current situation when compared to my peers at other airlines of which we are last in everything except pay.
OK fine. The ball is in your court. Why do you feel 6 figures with full benefits is "screwing you into the ground"? I am listening. Make me understand your grievance.

I need the other things as well, vacation, sick time, better health insurance and holidays. My peer at dl gets a $12000 ps check , i get 2k.
Hey you will get no argument with me on vacation/sick days. Like I said American Airlines vacation and sick policy are right out of the stone age. As far as insurance........ you have a lot better insurance than you think.

I will agree things could be better. Things can always be better. For you to say American Airlines is screwing you into the ground is laughable from my perspective. You want to see screwed into the ground go work retail for Walmart or for Whirlpool as a temp (they love temps). You will learn a whole new meaning to "screwed into the ground".

Have you ever had another job outside of an airline at a professional or skilled level?

The name of the thread is aircraft maint issues. I posted an extremely relavent article with Seymour and union leaderships quotes.

You posted what you think is relavent which is making wing boxes with a printer. Let me tell you, not relavent at all.
I see. So aircraft structure and emerging aircraft technology is not relevant to aircraft maintenance issues? Got ya.

Your either not paying attention or you here to purposely spin.
I hardly think posting a 52 second video about emerging aircraft tech is spinning.

Then,,, you have the cajones to tell me that I'm lucky to have my job and make what I do.
No. YOU are the one spinning. I told you that you have a good working environment and are well compensated. I told you that your income vs investment (cost and time) was above par. I never said anything about "luck".

Stay in your lane clerk or what ever it is you do.
Actually I work in computer networking. They closed my shop down (TULE) over 4 years ago (while keeping the 2 UNION officers local and on payroll). I could have bumped or put in a transfer but I chose to leave and start another career instead. Might have something to do with people with 6 figure incomes and full benefit packages whining nonstop about their lot in life.

Now feel free to go cry into your beer.

Peter-Griffin-Crying.gif