Aircraft maint issues

Agreed. Scope is the main issue.
But if history serves as a lesson to us all, no matter how we ever voted on a contract, no matter what, we lost jobs anyway.
I do not think outsourcing will ever be reversed nor reduced. The question is do we wait years and years balking at any scope change? I am not saying roll over and play dead.....But look at the numbers we once had and look at it now. We lost more WITHOUT being in BK than we did IN.
We lose every day that we do not have a new agreement.

All true, A/C Maintenance headcount has steadly moved down by thousands over the last 15 years. The union has been unable to stop this. Now, the company wants a headcount reduction in Facilities Maintenance as well as Stores. This was hardly secret. Now GP is in the International, and all of a sudden - headcount is extremely important. All of this reduction would be through attrition. So it seems we are being held hostage for future headcount numbers. Let that sink in. Typically, this is where the TWU International steps in, and trades AMT benefits and pay away in exchange for maintaining headcount. The membership will be blamed for the lack of a better deal. A TA will somehow pass when nobody knows anybody that voted for it, and the AMTs come away chumped. Then, 6 months later the saved heads are cut anyway. This cycle needs to change.

I see a lot of mistrust from our union members, you will know when we get to see our contract how this association sold us out!

They are in the same boat we are in Swampy, but they have just been in the boat longer. You can hold out forever, but in the end , you loose something to get a contract. No one wants to admit that, and it really doesn't matter what union you have. All we have to do look at the industry.
They have not been at it longer than us. Their JCBA nego's started after ours did.

What happened this morning? They are meeting with the company?
Paul, this asso will not give anything of an update usually until after this week, then again next week. The only time we get any sort of an update outside of the usual end of week updates are from CB and others that take the time to come to the forums to update a little better but still very lack of full info. Also, with the asso. updates will only include what articles have been T/A'd and greed to not what the body of the "new look" of said T/A'd articles. This will not hit the membership until T/A day is here, then all kaos will break out with confusion and misinformation actuations etc...

All true, A/C Maintenance headcount has steadly moved down by thousands over the last 15 years. The union has been unable to stop this. Now, the company wants a headcount reduction in Facilities Maintenance as well as Stores. This was hardly secret. Now GP is in the International, and all of a sudden - headcount is extremely important. All of this reduction would be through attrition. So it seems we are being held hostage for future headcount numbers. Let that sink in. Typically, this is where the TWU International steps in, and trades AMT benefits and pay away in exchange for maintaining headcount. The membership will be blamed for the lack of a better deal. A TA will somehow pass when nobody knows anybody that voted for it, and the AMTs come away chumped. Then, 6 months later the saved heads are cut anyway. This cycle needs to change.

So, with record profits we should be giving something up? I'm not willing to be a sell-out, and give away future positions. People could have done this a long time ago and we wouldnt have jobs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev3188
They have not been at it longer than us. Their JCBA nego's started after ours did.
I wasn't talking about length of negotiations, I was talking about the company wanting rule changes. All maintenance is being treated the same way by airlines, because we are seen as cost, especially when you are not an MRO provider.

So, with record profits we should be giving something up? I'm not willing to be a sell-out, and give away future positions. People could have done this a long time ago and we wouldnt have jobs.

You're not giving away future positions? Who do you think you are? You WORK for a company, you all need to know your station at AA. The executives and managers live AA, they are attached to their phone, they come in on their vacation for meetings. We on the other hand spend 8.5 hours a day 5 days a week. After punching out we go home and don't think about AA again until we punch in the next day. If our supv won't approve a paid lunch, we walk off the plane and go eat.

Don't over estimate your station in life, trust that the Association is getting the best deal they can and don't think the AMT think tank means anything outside of your break room, because none of us know what the plans are for AA and it's mechanics. It doesn't look too good, but there are jobs out there for AMTs. We went from 14k mechs to 7300, all we "gave" to save jobs doesn't mean a thing. Get the best contract possible and move on, and stop whining.

Kind of curious as to what SWAMT and DRIVER have to say about this.

http://aviation.travel/faa-southwest-airlines-maintenance-safety-in-question-again/

Almost seems that if this was AAA, it would have been on every news station in the country.
It's called window dressing by our union, does American have American mechanics at every station before an aircraft goes on a ETOPS flight before it leaves, no. No one at SWA is ETOPS trained, nothing has been approved by the FAA, had a friend of mine at Delta, and when they wanted to fly their 757s with the Pratts, it took the Feds two years to approve it. Hopefully we have a bargaining chip in negotiations, we will see next month.

You're not giving away future positions? Who do you think you are? You WORK for a company, you all need to know your station at AA. The executives and managers live AA, they are attached to their phone, they come in on their vacation for meetings. We on the other hand spend 8.5 hours a day 5 days a week. After punching out we go home and don't think about AA again until we punch in the next day. If our supv won't approve a paid lunch, we walk off the plane and go eat.

Don't over estimate your station in life, trust that the Association is getting the best deal they can and don't think the AMT think tank means anything outside of your break room, because none of us know what the plans are for AA and it's mechanics. It doesn't look too good, but there are jobs out there for AMTs. We went from 14k mechs to 7300, all we "gave" to save jobs doesn't mean a thing. Get the best contract possible and move on, and stop whining.

That is correct "I" wont! The last time I checked, im allowed to vote how i feel fit. Im not sure about this "you all need to know your station at AA" comment, but i will repeat im not a sell out, period. I bet if the guys before you did this, you would be on here bitching. I guess its all good, as long as you get yours.

That is correct "I" wont! The last time I checked, im allowed to vote how i feel fit. Im not sure about this "you all need to know your station at AA" comment, but i will repeat im not a sell out, period. I bet if the guys before you did this, you would be on here bitching. I guess its all good, as long as you get yours.
No one is really a sell out, management is out to save money, for the share holders, your union tries to maintain membership, if they know they really can't, then they try to get as,much money and benefits for the members they have. Everyone complains, but in the end that is the reality. Now if there is bankruptcy then all bets are off. Most people when they vote, vote for what's best for them, because they are the ones on the property. People do not think about someone that might be hired in 5 years. Especially in a seniority based jobs rewarded postions. You want people to leave and retire, so you can get better shift, better days off. Or someday be an inspector or Crew Chief.

Latest posts