Aircraft maint issues

I’m with the LUS side of the maintenance. I think that our contract is better than the TWU side. I want to keep my medical and pension. If the company would give me a 401k match at 5% and my pension that would be ok with me. I do agree that the association was forced upon us and was not happy about that. The sad part is in some of today’s unions they are more interested in dues then what the people want and deserve. I knew that there would be problems having two unions. The company is sitting back laughing because we fight amongst our selves. I heard in Tulsa they are trying to vote the association out. I feel that it is not good timing to do this. It will just show the company how disorganized we really are. I have not been happy with the IAM for quite sometime. They tell us not to work road trips or overtime. I for one disagree with this. If all union members did that it would be alright but some don’t. I also think there is a long road ahead of us getting a contract!
The company knows we are disorganized. The association knows we are disorganized. The person who sweeps the office floor knows we are disorganized. I'm already hearing that this is not a good time for a card drive. When is it a good time? Just sitting around waiting is not going to improve our situation. We need to make a change and see which direction negotiations will take us. Almost 5 years at UAL. SWA 6 years. We are still under a CBA. September will start the clock towards going after a new record to top SWA and UAL. Can any of us wait that long? Sit and do nothing or stand up and make a change?

The company knows we are disorganized. The association knows we are disorganized. The person who sweeps the office floor knows we are disorganized. I'm already hearing that this is not a good time for a card drive. When is it a good time? Just sitting around waiting is not going to improve our situation. We need to make a change and see which direction negotiations will take us. Almost 5 years at UAL. SWA 6 years. We are still under a CBA. September will start the clock towards going after a new record to top SWA and UAL. Can any of us wait that long? Sit and do nothing or stand up and make a change?
Ours is still not done, we have our road shows an T/A vote in Sept. So the raises if it passes would be retro back to April 1st. Company and union sent out what our retro pay is. So mine with the retro pay is well over 50k. If you throw inspection in there they are probably over 60k before taxes. The average mechanic depending on time here is 36 K to 46k on the signing bonus. That's a mighty big carrot to people who haven't had a raise in 6 years.

Ours is still not done, we have our road shows an T/A vote in Sept. So the raises if it passes would be retro back to April 1st. Company and union sent out what our retro pay is. So mine with the retro pay is well over 50k. If you throw inspection in there they are probably over 60k before taxes. The average mechanic depending on time here is 36 K to 46k on the signing bonus. That's a mighty big carrot to people who haven't had a raise in 6 years.

9B3450CE-15D6-467E-B569-E9AEF38E30C0.jpeg

Buck the “majority” would be over 6000 people and you’re not their spokesperson anymore than anyone speaks for me either unless I authorize them too.

If you ever do change Representation then you can finally say that it was the will of the majority that spoke.

Before then though not quite.
There is one thing I know that comments made on any social media site are of opinion until absolute proof.
The majority can be a play on words meaning a large number participates for all practical purposes.

How old are you? Are you sure?

Last edited:
Buck the “majority” would be over 6000 people and you’re not their spokesperson anymore than anyone speaks for me either unless I authorize them too.

If you ever do change Representation then you can finally say that it was the will of the majority that spoke.

Before then though not quite.
I have been doing this for a long time.

And this time you have a good shot cause it's ripe for the picking
I see another way also. In all of the past card drives the organizers had to go to the mechanic, now once the cards are printed, the organizers can set back and let " majority " delivered get them signed and returned. in a timely manner.

Reactions: B737 driver
I see another way also. In all of the past card drives the organizers had to go to the mechanic, now once the cards are printed, the organizers can set back and let " majority " delivered get them signed and returned. in a timely manner.

Are you saying the authorization cards are going to be mailed peoples houses?

TWU informerVeteran
#2May 3, 2018
Last edited: May 3, 2018
Hello E, been a long time my friend

Yes, and the mechanics need to send the TWU, IAM, Association, and Fleet Service, and Stock Clerks packing.
I can't find anyone willing to tap into their 401k savings and fund another card drive.
Those of us that tried for years only to be opposed my AA management had to spend thousands out of pocket to do what we did. Don't forget we had to file a lawsuit just to be able to distribute union literature on the Tulsa Base. Grrrrrrr

Now we are old, tired, and don't care enough to put money and time into a drive. Many are just using the shift swap program our UsAir brothers brought to Tulsa. Many have side businesses making more than working here now. AA is a medical plan and the funding cow to get outside businesses going. Not much interest about what's going on inside the walls anymore.

I would sign and contribute, but I am never going to argue or get into a campaign of persuading mechanics to do what is clearly in their best interest. My coworkers get the representation they deserve!!!

Anybody got about 10 grand to kick off a drive, contact me. But I am not funding another one.
I am convinced that the current AA management after all the consolidation now sees the benefits of mechanics being separated from the majority unskilled controlling our destiny. But management also has what they fought to keep for years and also deserve. AA is now the last and only carrier with the Fleet Service Clerks and Mechanics in the same Union. Management has what they fought so hard to keep.

I’m with the LUS side of the maintenance. I think that our contract is better than the TWU side. I want to keep my medical and pension. If the company would give me a 401k match at 5% and my pension that would be ok with me. I do agree that the association was forced upon us and was not happy about that. The sad part is in some of today’s unions they are more interested in dues then what the people want and deserve. I knew that there would be problems having two unions. The company is sitting back laughing because we fight amongst our selves. I heard in Tulsa they are trying to vote the association out. I feel that it is not good timing to do this. It will just show the company how disorganized we really are. I have not been happy with the IAM for quite sometime. They tell us not to work road trips or overtime. I for one disagree with this. If all union members did that it would be alright but some don’t. I also think there is a long road ahead of us getting a contract!

I disagree, might as well get a new union now. It took a couple of decades but TUL is seeing the twu for what it is.

Right now it gives every indication that the IAM side of the association is slow rolling the negotiations, because the IAM has probabaly the best contract in the induatry. Just another reason that having two unions doesn’t work for ALL the members.

I will never understand the afl cio decision to stop any kind of vote. What could have been the IAM having the mechanics at Boeing and AA, to this abortion of forced representation where none of its members see the Benefit or pride of being in this association.

It’s not like the association is accomplishing anything other then efficiently collecting our dues.

Excellent Buck glad to read that. I’m already assuming that you guys shut it down in 2014 because money and interest at the time waned?

If you want to really keep it going this time you have to emphasize that people need to keep contributing money. With the raises you guys got in 2016 that should be an easier task than it was back in 2014?

Don’t let anyone give you any excuses when you tell them they need to cough up.

The Dispatchers were easy to leave since they only number a few hundred in either one or two locations. You guys have a hell of a lot more than that and you know it.

But hey never say never right.
I was correct when I mentioned that the original AMP constitution included stock clerks for some reason, I never got on board because of that. It was was a huge issue so they amended the AMP constitution to remove stock clerks.
I was told I was wrong because the stock clerks could not leagally he added and not the rest of the work group that they were placed in by the NMB. That Is probably correct , I’am just saying they WERE included, right or wrong that was the case. So call it corrected or amended, stores are not on the AMP constitution anymore. That was a big factor I believe why AMP never became relevant in the past.

I was correct when I mentioned that the original AMP constitution included stock clerks for some reason, I never got on board because of that. It was was a huge issue so they amended the AMP constitution to remove stock clerks.
I was told I was wrong because the stock clerks could not leagally he added and not the rest of the work group that they were placed in by the NMB. That Is probably correct , I’am just saying they WERE included, right or wrong that was the case. So call it corrected or amended, stores are not on the AMP constitution anymore. That was a big factor I believe why AMP never became relevant in the past.

Here’s the link to the ruling by the NMB of who’s included as part of your class and craft and who you would also need to represent.

https://storage.googleapis.com/dakota-dev-content/42-NMB-No.-15-FUI.pdf

0590D1AE-632F-4727-895A-A65F2C57D404.png