Aircraft maint issues

Not possible as long as airlines fly aircraft to third world countries for overhaul. Kind of hard to require more education and experience from us while allowing coffee bean pickers with no education or experience to overhaul them for us.
I do believe I was just schooled. :)

Shift Swaps coming to Tulsa Maintenance Base!
Utter Lunacy IMO, I wondered how management here could make this place even less efficient.
Utter lunacy that they never had IMO! I think its a great thing! If you don't want to use it ok.But for others that want the ability to have 3 days off without using Vc days it's a great benefit. If you are a guy that works all the OT they throw at you then go home and watch Reruns of All in the Family you won't benefit much. If you like to be away from this place and have a better quality of life I think you will love it. I hear guys already moaning it won't work here! My own shop steward is saying that! It's has worked for over 30 years at other stations. It can be worked out in Tulsa. Change is coming! Accept it! More to come.

Forget about the t shirt day crap. Everytime we get a new contract we give work rules and benefits away. I am in no rush for a JCBA. All you guys who think we are going to get back everything or almost everything we gave on 2003 are dreaming. They will throw some $$$ our way and some holidays and take away more work rules. Guys are blind. They only see the money. No thanks. Nothing should be given up for restoration of our 2003 raping. If we had a union with balls we would have been better better off years ago.

Reactions: OldGuy@AA
Utter lunacy that they never had IMO! I think its a great thing! If you don't want to use it ok.But for others that want the ability to have 3 days off without using Vc days it's a great benefit. If you are a guy that works all the OT they throw at you then go home and watch Reruns of All in the Family you won't benefit much. If you like to be away from this place and have a better quality of life I think you will love it. I hear guys already moaning it won't work here! My own shop steward is saying that! It's has worked for over 30 years at other stations. It can be worked out in Tulsa. Change is coming! Accept it! More to come.

It's absolutely a huge QOL issue. There are many different ways you could use it. Some hear do the more traditional 3 days off every single weekend. Some use it for 4 days off. Some work a full week of doubles and take 7 days off every other week. And some work it to where they come in every other day work doubles and take 3 and 4 day weekends. You can save a huge vac/F/H bank while using trades thru out the year. You can also trade with multiple people to help with lowering the amount of doubles worked in a row. I know of some guys using trades to where they are only at work 3 days a week, 2 days a week, 1 day a week and even 1 day a month sometimes. A fantastic option for the folks fixin to retire and wanna work less and less before retiring. Call it going part time but keeping full time bennies. Hope you guys are able to use the trades soon. Once your hooked you'll never work a full 5 days work week again. You can still get your 40 hours in at 2 1/2 days and have many days off with same pay, great for time with family vacations and such.

Shift Swaps coming to Tulsa Maintenance Base!
Utter Lunacy IMO, I wondered how management here could make this place even less efficient.
The big problem with the new cs policy in Tulsa is that all employees wont be able to use it. The shops that are all days are getting the shaft. They have nobody to swap with. Certainly Danker and Mr. Cade can work out some kind of solution. CS with yourself a certain amount of days per quarter or something. Its a great benefit if and when you need it.

It's absolutely a huge QOL issue. There are many different ways you could use it. Some hear do the more traditional 3 days off every single weekend. Some use it for 4 days off. Some work a full week of doubles and take 7 days off every other week. And some work it to where they come in every other day work doubles and take 3 and 4 day weekends. You can save a huge vac/F/H bank while using trades thru out the year. You can also trade with multiple people to help with lowering the amount of doubles worked in a row. I know of some guys using trades to where they are only at work 3 days a week, 2 days a week, 1 day a week and even 1 day a month sometimes. A fantastic option for the folks fixin to retire and wanna work less and less before retiring. Call it going part time but keeping full time bennies. Hope you guys are able to use the trades soon. Once your hooked you'll never work a full 5 days work week again. You can still get your 40 hours in at 2 1/2 days and have many days off with same pay, great for time with family vacations and such.
It starts on Monday. Long overdue. I agree 100% with you. The thing I see happening is most wont use it. Tulsa is a unique place. I know many guys here that have never used their flight benefits. I'm talking about guys with 20-30 years. They have no desire to go anywhere outside a 30 mile radius of the house. So the idea of working extra hours so you could possibly have a 4 day weekend for a quick get out of town, probably not going to happen. Also we are all getting older and slower. I started in Nashville way back when. We were all over the map! To have this cs policy at 25 years old now that's a good party!

So you think allowing aircraft mechanics to work doubles all week is safe? So they work 16 hours a day....How much sleep and rest do you think they are getting? After all they do have to go home, do things OTHER than sleep...And of course, after all, there is NO sleeping on duty.....

Sounds like a great idea to me....The walking dead working on aircraft....

So you think allowing aircraft mechanics to work doubles all week is safe? So they work 16 hours a day....How much sleep and rest do you think they are getting? After all they do have to go home, do things OTHER than sleep...And of course, after all, there is NO sleeping on duty.....

^^Exactly^^
I realize change is coming as it has for years it's just my opinion that we are far less efficient than we were a decade ago and it started with breaking up the crews from a specialty ie systems, avionics and wing,cargo and interior crews. When this was the case the crews got VERY good at their area of expertise. The same goes for component shops, we will now work on multiple different components and may not work the same one for weeks or months thereby eliminating any efficiencies. Can we work on a different component or aircraft area, absolutely it will just take longer.
Years ago when I hired in a manager who slipped a check thereby not supplying an aircraft for revenue got seriously chewed out, enter Carmine Morono with the "Pulse" line and you have people running all over the hangar with Crew Chiefs not even realizing he is assigned to them then getting very little done. Then when the plane is late for Revenue service management simply makes it a "Drop In" and their plan looks good for them on paper but in reality we lost revenue miles.
So FLYNFISH my comment was simply that this new policy is just another step toward inefficiency, and now people will not push for getting that week of vacation back because they spend half the week at work but get a nice little weekend for it. I won't be one of the shift swap people as I can hardly stand eight hours in the place anymore and I will add there are more changes coming and you probably won't like them.
If I work 17 hours straight I would rather have 4 at time and 1/2 and 4 at double time. JMO.

That's a personal call. We know its a proven fact people function better on at least 7 hours of sleep per day, this is the minimum time the brain needs to get rid of toxin build up. But, it seems some folks can function just fine on very little. Seemingly so anyway. Whats more, the FAA only requires 4 days off a month correct? These kinds of schedules have been going on for years at line stations and thus far no accidents related to fatigue that I know of. As soon as one happens and the person claims fatigue due to to many hours per day, the FARs will get changed to limit duty time similar to pilots.

Now,,,, as for me, I need my sleep.

Ever wonder how many leave work after 8 1/2 hours then go to a second job or even their own side business? I'm sure there's quite a few that work 16 hour days just not all at AA.

^^Exactly^^
I realize change is coming as it has for years it's just my opinion that we are far less efficient than we were a decade ago and it started with breaking up the crews from a specialty ie systems, avionics and wing,cargo and interior crews. When this was the case the crews got VERY good at their area of expertise. The same goes for component shops, we will now work on multiple different components and may not work the same one for weeks or months thereby eliminating any efficiencies. Can we work on a different component or aircraft area, absolutely it will just take longer.
Years ago when I hired in a manager who slipped a check thereby not supplying an aircraft for revenue got seriously chewed out, enter Carmine Morono with the "Pulse" line and you have people running all over the hangar with Crew Chiefs not even realizing he is assigned to them then getting very little done. Then when the plane is late for Revenue service management simply makes it a "Drop In" and their plan looks good for them on paper but in reality we lost revenue miles.
So FLYNFISH my comment was simply that this new policy is just another step toward inefficiency, and now people will not push for getting that week of vacation back because they spend half the week at work but get a nice little weekend for it. I won't be one of the shift swap people as I can hardly stand eight hours in the place anymore and I will add there are more changes coming and you probably won't like them.
If I work 17 hours straight I would rather have 4 at time and 1/2 and 4 at double time. JMO.
I will agree that we don't need anymore inefficient methods of doing things. However I don't think a cs policy that is similar to the line policy is going to do that. The argument about safely working after more than 8 hrs is a hard one to sell. For many years airline employees have worked crazy hours. Anyway I can agree with you about more change coming. I firmly believe the policy was put into place now to be ready for the next thing to take place. Why would the company and the association agree to put this into action unless they know a big change is coming . If they want to implement more things before a JCBA at least give us vacation, sick time, and holidays equal to our IAM represented guys! That would be a good start.

Ever wonder how many leave work after 8 1/2 hours then go to a second job or even their own side business? I'm sure there's quite a few that work 16 hour days just not all at AA.
Yes, I know the type...And again I will ask the question..."Does working doubles for an entire week seem safe?"

Last edited: