Aircraft maint issues

[

You really want to go down this path?
I'll give you a hint...I began as an aircraft mechanic quite some time before deregulation changed the business forever. I have ONLY worked as an aircraft mechanic in both line and OH with 707's still flying. Mostly line though.
I can almost guarantee by the way you post that I am way older than you and way more experienced.
Let me know if you want to continue with your accusations that I am not too knowledgeable about aircraft maintenance.

For sake of argument I will just grant that you are and have always been a competent mechanic.

Work that is given to FSC is not A&P work, work that requires an A&P licensed sign off is A&P work, all other work done by A&Ps is all gravy work. It doesn't require an A&P to drive a huff. I would prefer to have the highest wage for an A&P mechanic then have the ability to bid a shift where all I do is move airplanes.

For sake of argument I will just grant that you are and have always been a competent mechanic.

Work that is given to FSC is not A&P work, work that requires an A&P licensed sign off is A&P work, all other work done by A&Ps is all gravy work. It doesn't require an A&P to drive a huff. I would prefer to have the highest wage for an A&P mechanic then have the ability to bid a shift where all I do is move airplanes.
im just glad your not negotiating our contract. there would be nothing left

Reactions: swamt
im just glad your not negotiating our contract. there would be nothing left
I think you're right, I believe in just doing A&P work. Because of my points of view I would never consider being a union rep.

There are union guys that don't want to work on airplanes and there are union guys that are there to make life better for all. We all the two that we see. I applaud the guys that are trying to make life better and that is why I always support them.

There are aircraft maintenance jobs in Tulsa that do not require an A&P. Should we give those jobs to fleet service too?
I'm sure guys that are certified welders that have no A&P ratings will be happy with your way of thinking. I know guys with A&P Tickets that can't weld, perform sheet metal work and read a schematic. Does that mean we should get rid of them as well? I know guys with A&P tickets that can not handle the line maintenance operation but are very proficient in the overhaul operation. What do you suggest that we do with guys that can not fit your idea of what an A&P technician should be qualified to do? I guess the next time an aircraft needs to get pushed out of the hangar or off the hard stand we should let fleet service move the airplane for us. How about letting them ride brakes?
Any other jobs you think we should just hand over to fleet feel free to post. This is the reason why we need to separate ourselves from the Association which the majority is fleet service. A union job is a union job, right?

There are aircraft maintenance jobs in Tulsa that do not require an A&P. Should we give those jobs to fleet service too?
I'm sure guys that are certified welders that have no A&P ratings will be happy with your way of thinking. I know guys with A&P Tickets that can't weld, perform sheet metal work and read a schematic. Does that mean we should get rid of them as well? I know guys with A&P tickets that can not handle the line maintenance operation but are very proficient in the overhaul operation. What do you suggest that we do with guys that can not fit your idea of what an A&P technician should be qualified to do? I guess the next time an aircraft needs to get pushed out of the hangar or off the hard stand we should let fleet service move the airplane for us. How about letting them ride brakes?
Any other jobs you think we should just hand over to fleet feel free to post. This is the reason why we need to separate ourselves from the Association which the majority is fleet service. A union job is a union job, right?

There’s a difference between A&P required work and all the work we do. It’s looking like AA wants to have A&P mechs do A&P work at the highest pay rates, while our union wants to do all the work we can, but it looks like the company is not budging. I agree that we should bring all A&P work back to us.

Here’s the problem. When mechanics’ work gets negotiated away to fleet service, all we hear is that mechanics should only be doing mechanics’ work, so it makes it more palatable to those assuming the new work.
What other work do we give up because it isn't A&P work?
Mechanics' work does not always mean A&P. Should we give up the entire interior to fleet? Should we be restricted to engines and systems?
For too many years, mechanics have lost work to fleet because both the company and TWU have agreed to keep re-classifying what is and what is not mechanic work.
Why give the aircraft moves to fleet service when we can give it to pax service agents?
The TWU never had a problem agreeing to shift work to fleet as long as kept the majority happy.
Mechanics have lost most in terms of work.

Where do we draw the line?

There’s a difference between A&P required work and all the work we do. It’s looking like AA wants to have A&P mechs do A&P work at the highest pay rates, while our union wants to do all the work we can, but it looks like the company is not budging. I agree that we should bring all A&P work back to us.
A union job is a union job no matter which union member does it. That's the association way of thinking and the twu before the association existed.

Any union would want that, it's how they make money.

Not sacrificing 3 years of negotiations...The TWU always had the horse and pony vote Yes to concessions...now we want to vote and they won't let us...why...because their interest comes way before ours...we gotta fire them asap...

I watch the video from the union and realize more and more the Association has no power. This gentleman has no clue on whether there will be a vote one day or the international will vote for us. I do not trust our leaders and know now that it will be a long time before we get a contract. The mediator are pro company. I hope one day the A&P mechanics will be in one Union.

Reactions: swamt
I watch the video from the union and realize more and more the Association has no power. This gentleman has no clue on whether there will be a vote one day or the international will vote for us. I do not trust our leaders and know now that it will be a long time before we get a contract. The mediator are pro company. I hope one day the A&P mechanics will be in one Union.
Yes.

Is there anything in the contract that says AA can’t just take the job of towing aircraft away from mechanics and just giving it to ramp like AA did with pushbacks and de-icing?

I don’t think there is and I’m willing to bet that in the 2012 contract that we voted in, that work like that is not in contract or left and managements discresion.

I don't think they can just arbitrarily change scope mid contract by moving current and historical work to another work group. I would also think that since we are all in the same union that the T3 leadership would be against the migration of higher paying T1 jobs to lower paying T3 jobs. To me that should be a given and if its not,, then maybe its a "Houston we have a problem" moment?