Aircraft maint issues

I don’t think they had an overinflated view of themselves, so much as they underestimated the company’s contempt for them? Maybe we’re saying the same thing here...

You never get used to it. Ever. Lol.

I understand your thoughts on this, I just disagree. At that period every union was giving contract relief at NWA and AMFA says full pay until contract is over. Then it was full pay to the last day.

If every union on the property is dealing with management and every union in the industry was either giving contract relief or having contract relief thrust upon them in bankruptcy, full pay to the LAST day is what you’re going to get.

I remember the rhetoric, they can’t replace us we are mechanics, right before they were replaced. Then there’s us, vote no 2010 send them back to negotiations (2 years after Great Recession started) then 2012 vote no, AA won’t be able to send our OH to outside MROs there aren’t enough spots for our fleet. That one was rich.

It’s like when the losers we work with say, AA is just looking to fire people. My first reaction is: you still work here! I think management just looks at what is better for the long term, strike, settle and give union whatever they feel they want. Or start with new group of mechs and spend the money and time to train them.

I guess we will just disagree

I understand your thoughts on this, I just disagree. At that period every union was giving contract relief at NWA and AMFA says full pay until contract is over. Then it was full pay to the last day.

If every union on the property is dealing with management and every union in the industry was either giving contract relief or having contract relief thrust upon them in bankruptcy, full pay to the LAST day is what you’re going to get.

I remember the rhetoric, they can’t replace us we are mechanics, right before they were replaced. Then there’s us, vote no 2010 send them back to negotiations (2 years after Great Recession started) then 2012 vote no, AA won’t be able to send our OH to outside MROs there aren’t enough spots for our fleet. That one was rich.

It’s like when the losers we work with say, AA is just looking to fire people. My first reaction is: you still work here! I think management just looks at what is better for the long term, strike, settle and give union whatever they feel they want. Or start with new group of mechs and spend the money and time to train them.

That's what was scaring me about some in my group. Then when our ALR said they would never take a strike vote, I knew they weren't crazy like they were at Northwest. They are being quiet in our talks, just saying it is going well. I think there are all these variables coming together making both sides to bring this to a successful conclusion. Especially when your airline only flys 737s. You smoke one in the dirt, and the public won't care if you fly NGs or Maxs , they will avoid you like the plague.

NWA never fully recovered from the AMFA strike. In fact, if it wasn't for the merge with Delta - where the chaos was covered up with the integration issues - likely never would have fully recovered. The scabs they hired were quite literally the bottom of the barrel. My brother was a tech writer at NWA at the time, and it got so bad that they had to rewrite the maintenance manuals to "dumb them down" so the scabs could understand them easier. NWA's AMT replacement plan was a failure.

Reactions: swamt
NWA never fully recovered from the AMFA strike. In fact, if it wasn't for the merge with Delta - where the chaos was covered up with the integration issues - likely never would have fully recovered. The scabs they hired were quite literally the bottom of the barrel. My brother was a tech writer at NWA at the time, and it got so bad that they had to rewrite the maintenance manuals to "dumb them down" so the scabs could understand them easier. NWA's AMT replacement plan was a failure.
That's what they wanted you to think Delta and Northwest filed bankruptcy the same day. Northwest management and money ran Delta for quite a while and all the scabs as people called , got all their Seniority at Delta, including AMFA upper officers that were Northwest got recalled to Delta.

Move on man. You work for American Airlines.

Northwest Airlines

IATA ICAO Callsign
NW NWA NORTHWEST
Founded 1926, 93 years ago
(as Northwest Airways)
Commenced operations 1934

Ceased operations
January 31, 2010
(merged with Delta Air Lines)

Move on man. You work for American Airlines.

Northwest Airlines

IATA ICAO Callsign
NW NWA NORTHWEST
Founded 1926, 93 years ago
(as Northwest Airways)
Commenced operations 1934

Ceased operations
January 31, 2010
(merged with Delta Air Lines)
I think it was a point to understand mechanics realize they are not all powerful and serious miscalculations were made. However we want to be paid fairly and reasonable contracts, just like the other groups.

I think it was a point to understand mechanics realize they are not all powerful and serious miscalculations were made. However we want to be paid fairly and reasonable contracts, just like the other groups.

Mechanics (All in) in the industry outside of Corporate Management are the second highest paid work group after Pilots and that’s absolutely well earned.

Paid fairly and reasonable is up to the individuals interpretation.

Many “people” have no line or idea where that objective would be satisfying for them.

Mechanics (All in) in the industry outside of Corporate Management are the second highest paid work group after Pilots and that’s absolutely well earned.

Paid fairly and reasonable is up to the individuals interpretation.

Many “people” have no line or idea where that objective would be satisfying for them.
Well it would come too going 5 years or more without a raise, then you get reasonable what you will accept.So you ballance language to what the language changes will cost you to get a raise. In the end of all the bitching and moaning just becomes background noise.

Well it would come too going 5 years or more without a raise, then you get reasonable what you will accept.So you ballance language to what the language changes will cost you to get a raise. In the end of all the bitching and moaning just becomes background noise.

There’s no way to know what the right timing is, so all you can do is go with the flow. The people I can’t stand are the ones that say “I always vote no” Those ignoramuses make me seriously question the American educational system.

Personally I’ve been laying back and reading your comments though.

I think at this moment you should be giving your Union (Yes AMFA) 100% support. I think this is the make or break moment where all hands should be on deck.

I know you would rather have the IBT but I don’t think right now the ends justify the means to bash them.

The company spent millions on the new headquarters and now spending more money on a new class room for 787 training in Philadelphia. I feel it is a slap in the face when the company won’t keep the IAM contract medical insurances which was a bankruptcy insurance.

Look at it this way, if IAM keeps health insurance as is, then TWU will get same insurance, then Pilots all 14k of them then 27k FAs then the rest of the employees. Now we are talking major coin, it's not just your little slice of employees that AA insures.

TWU gave massive concessions in 2003 to save airline from bankruptcy and to save OH. We still went BK and lost 2 OH bases.

Life isn't fair, and USair is no longer as American Airlines is no longer, we are all working for a new airline. The past just doesn't matter.

NWA did not go out of business, all airlines were in a tough spot at that time period. In the end those scabs went on to work at Delta vote down union representation and I hear they got an average of $14k bonus last year all while making $51 an hour. What a bunch of morons!!!!

Don't kid yourself the replacement mechs were a success. NWA is just merged with DAL as did UAL and continental, AA-USair-America West, Alaska-Virgin

We are all replaceable, don't buy into that rhetoric that we are not.

Reactions: Kev3188
There’s no way to know what the right timing is, so all you can do is go with the flow. The people I can’t stand are the ones that say “I always vote no” Those ignoramuses make me seriously question the American educational system.

Personally I’ve been laying back and reading your comments though.

I think at this moment you should be giving your Union (Yes AMFA) 100% support. I think this is the make or break moment where all hands should be on deck.

I know you would rather have the IBT but I don’t think right now the ends justify the means to bash them.
I have to back them Weazz I have no choice, just tired of complaining it gets old. I voted yes for the first contract. It didn't pass. So if the second one is better, and it passes, then they AMFA did their job. Just like whatever your Association comes up with, if it passes they did their job. Corporate America doesn't hand you the combination to the vault.

Reactions: swamt
NWA did not go out of business, all airlines were in a tough spot at that time period. In the end those scabs went on to work at Delta vote down union representation and I hear they got an average of $14k bonus last year all while making $51 an hour. What a bunch of morons!!!!

Don't kid yourself the replacement mechs were a success. NWA is just merged with DAL as did UAL and continental, AA-USair-America West, Alaska-Virgin

We are all replaceable, don't buy into that rhetoric that we are not.
It was a success in another way: Another airline union BUSTED where the government declined to get involved. Remember Eastern! Can you say UNION BUSTING?
And ladies and gentleman DO NOT THINK THIS CAN'T OR WON'T HAPPEN AGAIN at either SWA or AAL.
And no matter what MIke Quill wannabe Samuelsen spews out through his bullhorn, we could very well wind up like the NWA AMFA mechanics.
And don't think that because AAL is way bigger than NWA was at the time the government will step in. There is no love lost for unions in this country anymore, especially where they refuse to change with the times.

Last edited:

Quick point of order: Mechanics never voted to keep (or discard) representation after the merger; AMFA voluntarily withdrew.

With the NW side working under imposed terms, it would’ve been near impossible to get a “yes” vote. Just my .02...