Aircraft maint issues

Look at it this way, if IAM keeps health insurance as is, then TWU will get same insurance, then Pilots all 14k of them then 27k FAs then the rest of the employees. Now we are talking major coin, it's not just your little slice of employees that AA insures.

TWU gave massive concessions in 2003 to save airline from bankruptcy and to save OH. We still went BK and lost 2 OH bases.

Life isn't fair, and USair is no longer as American Airlines is no longer, we are all working for a new airline. The past just doesn't matter.
Were AMERICAN airlines by name only ran by a/w managment that’s flown the airline into ground you mean the sham bk

They should do that anyway. Manuals should be as simple to follow as possible.
There written for an A&P . There written for ones that knows how the systems. Work I have no problems understanding them nor work cards that are sometime airworthiness directives. That we take legal responsibility for till the works is supper seeded

Were AMERICAN airlines by name only ran by a/w managment that’s flown the airline into ground you mean the sham bk
So would you say Cone the TWA purchase was the boat anchor, or other stuff. Do you think Parker can run it, or it will turn into an Texas Air Corporation , and one side of the Airline, eventually survives?

And Ap

Attachments

• 21B7BDC2-241F-44B4-AC50-58F4DCA2389B.png
    21B7BDC2-241F-44B4-AC50-58F4DCA2389B.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 215
So would you say Cone the TWA purchase was the boat anchor, or other stuff. Do you think Parker can run it, or it will turn into an Texas Air Corporation , and one side of the Airline, eventually survives?
I have no confidence in Parker. I see bk in future unles board of directors get tough and get us a leader who can run this airline. And not put the worst seats and smallest bathroom in the max. Now they are remodeling the -800 with a contract agent who never herd of bolts. And use tyraps instead. When we did 757/767 overhaul they were clean.

Conehead, we have received notice of an AIP. They will re-engage on Mon. to work on it becoming a T/A. Not all info has been released as of yet, but as already posted there are some highlights. Still waiting on IO language and LOA 1. Here are the highlights for all interested. No road shows will be done as we will just skim over the differences between the two offers.
Still hoping you guys get an agreement soon as well, good luck...

Joint Memo: AMFA and SWA Agreement in Principle
March 16, 2019 -- After a week of mediation, including many long nights and early mornings, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) and Southwest Airlines have reached an Agreement in Principle (AIP) on Saturday, March 16, 2019, toward a new collective bargaining agreement. We are very pleased with the efforts of both Teams to find common ground on a new contract that is good for our Aircraft Maintenance Technicians and for Southwest Airlines.

Download: 20190316_AMFA_SWA_Joint_Memo_re_AIP.pdf
Read More

Conehead, we have received notice of an AIP. They will re-engage on Mon. to work on it becoming a T/A. Not all info has been released as of yet, but as already posted there are some highlights. Still waiting on IO language and LOA 1. Here are the highlights for all interested. No road shows will be done as we will just skim over the differences between the two offers.
Still hoping you guys get an agreement soon as well, good luck...

Joint Memo: AMFA and SWA Agreement in Principle
March 16, 2019 -- After a week of mediation, including many long nights and early mornings, the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association (AMFA) and Southwest Airlines have reached an Agreement in Principle (AIP) on Saturday, March 16, 2019, toward a new collective bargaining agreement. We are very pleased with the efforts of both Teams to find common ground on a new contract that is good for our Aircraft Maintenance Technicians and for Southwest Airlines.

Download: 20190316_AMFA_SWA_Joint_Memo_re_AIP.pdf
Read More
Our local AMFA 4 business meeting is March 21 st..So good news. I hope the American guys get something soon, especially if we ratify.

Our local AMFA 4 business meeting is March 21 st..So good news. I hope the American guys get something soon, especially if we ratify.

Happy for you guys driver. Unfortunately there is ZERO evidence or reason for us to expect anything resembling a ratifiable TA in the foreseeable future. "We will get them next time".

Ut oh, looks like we have another Bob Owens, there aren’t enough mechanics to replace us, there aren’t enough places to do our OH, they can’t possibly replace us WE ARE TO IMPORTANT!
I look forward to your financial reports on what AA can afford. Nothing better then having a beer in your basement playing airline CFO.

Say we do go on strike, do you think everybody at DFW would walk? I don’t. Do you think the mechs working at AAR would like to make $50 and hour. The guys from eagle not to mention all the guys at A&P schools, Spirit. Etc

This is why we need to remember the past. One thing I see a lot of especially from the senior guys who haven’t looked for or have been out of work. They don’t look at what jobs are out there and what they are offering. Even under this cruddy contract, it’s still better then most. Same with our health ins. it’s not the best but not the worst either.

Too important? Those are your words, not mine.

Not sure where you are coming from. I don't remember advocating for a strike that there would ever be a need to replace those who picketed.
In fact, if you have been reading any of my posts - it would become more clear to you that I prefer in-house overhaul, but the consensus in the breakroom is we are done accepting less pay and benefits for future headcount.

So, your hypothetical strike scenario is a non starter anyway.
AAR? Anybody working there, is there for a reason. There will always be a few exceptions but; for the most part, this AAR talent is lacking an A&P license, can't pass a drug screen, can't pass a background check, or not enough experience for minimum requirement at a major.
Eagle? God bless them, if they wanted to, they would have already been here.
Spirit? Got a few of them already, only about 50 left.
School recruits? Lol,

Oh, and I do know what's out there. I get emails listing job openings for AMTs all over. They can not find people.

Reactions: swamt
There written for an A&P . There written for ones that knows how the systems. Work I have no problems understanding them nor work cards that are sometime airworthiness directives. That we take legal responsibility for till the works is supper seeded
How does one that knows how systems work install an entry door component backwards?

Why is it engineering had to be called when you had several licensed A&P's at the time present on the aircraft?

The flaw with your claim of understanding systems is over time technology will no doubt introduce you to systems that you don't know how they work.

Think of how much engine technology has changed over the years.

I am glad you have no issues but you are probably a senior mechanic that has been working on the same air frame for the last 20 years. If you had to work on say..... a 787 you might have some issues. Then again you might not.

I don't need to understand them, you do. I just think in general manuals should be written to be as easy as possible to understand. That is not a slight against the mechanics in any way. I feel that way about manuals in general.

While I was at TULE the mechanics installed part of an entry door backwards. I am dead serious. Despite them being experienced, intelligent people using an approved aircraft maintenance manual they installed part of the door backwards. The dock had to call in engineering because they could not figure out why the door would not close.

Now I don't think of those men as incompetent or fools. I worked with them all the time and I know they were good mechanics. But their interpretation of the source material was obviously flawed. Simplification and clarity may have helped.

Yes, but our jobs are very different. When you install a part you install it the same way every time as per the manual. They may upgrade or modify things from time to time but you are pretty much just doing the same thing over and over again. In computer networking you have to be adaptive because you are not dealing with a rigid manual but varied customers. Understanding manuals will only take you so far. Same thing when I worked in electrical. You can know equations and electrical code but at the end of the day it is up to you to design a workable solution for your customer using available technology and staying within a budget.

Maybe so, but I can honestly say I have never had an engineer tell me I have installed something backwards.

Now let me ask you, why are you getting so butt hurt over my opinion that if possible they should simplify the manuals? It's not like I have any expertise or authority to implement simplification. Do you see simplified manuals as a threat to your job or something? Afraid if they simplify them too much some third world mechanic is going to take your job? Seriously, what is your problem?

What year did the door problem occur?

Too important? Those are your words, not mine.

Not sure where you are coming from. I don't remember advocating for a strike that there would ever be a need to replace those who picketed.
In fact, if you have been reading any of my posts - it would become more clear to you that I prefer in-house overhaul, but the consensus in the breakroom is we are done accepting less pay and benefits for future headcount.

So, your hypothetical strike scenario is a non starter anyway.
AAR? Anybody working there, is there for a reason. There will always be a few exceptions but; for the most part, this AAR talent is lacking an A&P license, can't pass a drug screen, can't pass a background check, or not enough experience for minimum requirement at a major.
Eagle? God bless them, if they wanted to, they would have already been here.
Spirit? Got a few of them already, only about 50 left.
School recruits? Lol,

Oh, and I do know what's out there. I get emails listing job openings for AMTs all over. They can not find people.
You are having a hard time getting Military guys. Some are getting guys or gals, that have only worked on helicopters. Now if the economy was in recession and you had A&Ps on the streets, you bet Parker would want you guys to strike. Northwest management had a perfect storm. So did Eastern Airlines. But Lorenzo and the 1991 Gulf war was the nail in the coffin, for them, unfortunately it was also for Midway in Chicago. Then luckily got on with Morris Air, then SWA gobbled us up, and the rest is history.