Aircraft maint issues

I’m obviously a company guy, but even I know you don’t treat your ground employees the way we have been treated and expect everybody to jump on board so the executives can get bonus’s, and the flight crews get raises/contracts.

Do you know how much faster I can fix an airplane when I want to fix it than when I don't want to fix it?

Gordon Bethune

But I like to think that a lot of managers and executives trying to solve problems miss the forest for the trees by forgetting to look at their people -- not at how much more they can get from their people or how they can more effectively manage their people. I think they need to look a little more closely at what it's like for their people to come to work there every day.

Gordon Bethune

Coming to work Easter Sunday knowing that my LUS union brothers and fellow employees will be better compensated then me doing the same job will not put me in a motivated mood.

you have proved over and over yes you are a company man. and before you start knocking anyone else maybe you should go back and read some of your own post. i especially like were you post you only work overtime to max out your 401k plan. like your retirement is more important then anyone else's. while posting how mechanics in dfw are overtime whores. just a side note i havent worked overtime in two years.

I find it funny that AA advertises on an MRO site but wants nothing to do with doing MRO work for other carriers.
That huge Engine shop going to waste in Tulsa, I guess Delta was smart, even Aloha that everyone wrote for dead, does our ETOPS maintenance in Hawaii.

It's the "AMT candidates" that cannot pass the drug screening. I had a manager give an example of 90 people that they interviewed, 10 passed the background check and drug screen. They hired 6, and within a year 2 were left. The other 4 left for greener pastures.
Wow! 4 out of 6 left? That's 2/3rds. That's huge in turnaround. Is that the norm for AA mechanics??? Just curious...

You lost Brett to SWA after the failed AMFA run. He's been at SWA for over 6 years, became the president of AMFA.
Not quite driver. Brett is our National Director of AMFA. A tad higher position than a President in AMFA. But, we still know what you meant. Top Dog...

Not quite driver. Brett is our National Director of AMFA. A tad higher position than a President in AMFA. But, we still know what you meant. Top Dog...
The thing is Swampy American will get brain drain, if they take forever to get a deal, or a crappy deal, especially the young guys.

Wow, 35 AMT openings in TULE. Only 13 on the transfer list. Looks like they will be hiring off the street.
5 openings in IAH thought there were supposed to be 30? maybe 25 for the IAM? maybe they figured they can only get 5 to work under the twu.
Wow! 4 out of 6 left? That's 2/3rds. That's huge in turnaround. Is that the norm for AA mechanics??? Just curious...
yes

That goes for all Trade Schools. College’s have done a great job at marketing themselves as the best way to get as much as possible out of life to the detriment of people working with their hands.

Many younger people have a stigma against being a Blue Collar worker. As if they think it’s beneath them.
And those same younger people will gladly pay a premium to that plumber to fix the toilet, that electrician to change an outlet or that auto mechanic to repair their car.

Reactions: chilokie1
you have proved over and over yes you are a company man. and before you start knocking anyone else maybe you should go back and read some of your own post. i especially like were you post you only work overtime to max out your 401k plan. like your retirement is more important then anyone else's. while posting how mechanics in dfw are overtime whores. just a side note i havent worked overtime in two years.

AA pays me, the association forces me to pay them to work at AA. There’s OT whores at every station.

5 openings in IAH thought there were supposed to be 30? maybe 25 for the IAM? maybe they figured they can only get 5 to work under the twu.

yes
5 openings at iah and one guy on transfer list so far, 35 openings in Tulsa, it doesn’t seem like AA wants to outsource all work

Does anybody know what is going on with maintenance? Union says AA wants to outsource our work, but AA is opening station hiring additional mechanics and even bringing 35 to Tulsa not to mention the huge amount of transfers for DFW.

Last edited:

Years ago it wasn't. Nowadays who's to say. They seem to hire a lot more on the LUS side though. I would be the first to point out to any new hire AMT that they would do well to hire on with a company that actually takes care of their AMTs.

2010 same deal, but this time we voted it down.
Send them back to negotiations was the talk from the vote no crowd. We voted no, we got nothing and company got what it wanted through bankruptcy.

BTW, I agree with you on this point only, the 2010 deal was on we should have taken. There were no concession only gains but the vote no crowd wanted more. We all ended up getting more then we deserved in BK thanks to shooting down that contract.

Does anybody know what is going on with maintenance? Union says AA wants to outsource our work, but AA is opening station hiring additional mechanics and even bringing 35 to Tulsa not to mention the huge amount of transfers for DFW.

They are busy hiring yes votes as I have pointed out before.

5 openings at iah and one guy on transfer list so far, 35 openings in Tulsa, it doesn’t seem like AA wants to outsource all work

The quality of the outsourced work & mods has only helped Tulsa, we had 17 B737-800's grounded for shoddy interior mods
last month. The B777-200 line is also back from China, maybe America West has discovered the grass is not always greener
on the other side of the fence.

Reactions: bigjets and swamt
The quality of the outsourced work & mods has only helped Tulsa, we had 17 B737-800's grounded for shoddy interior mods
last month. The B777-200 line is also back from China, maybe America West has discovered the grass is not always greener
on the other side of the fence.
Isn't HAECO US doing the 777 work? Still outsourced.

Isn't HAECO US doing the 777 work? Still outsourced.
Engine overhaul but the aircraft are here. Maybe someone from hangar 5 & 6 can expand on what work is actually being done on the 777-200's in Tulsa, and if it is indeed the work that HAECO did. But there is 777-200 work is in Tulsa.