Aircraft maint issues

Industry update for you guys that follow other airlines. Don't have the exact numbers, bene's, protections, and additions as of yet, but I assume we will get some tidbits as the vote goes on.
Our fellow mechanics at Alaska have came to a T/A on their JCBA with Alaska and Virgin merging. Glad to see another T/A being done for the mechanics. We await for the results.
Brett, and Earl deserve a well deserved long vac after this one gets done (hopefully) this time around.
Also hearing that KK had a little to do with their T/A getting done with the same promises Kinder made (in writing) for the mechanics before he left. Kudos to everyone for a job well done. Good luck on the vote guys...

AMFA-ALASKA TRANSITION REACH AGREEMENT IN PRINCIPLE
Jun 05, 2019
lg-share-en.gif

June 5, 2019 -- We started off the year with a goal for our Maintenance and Engineering division to work as one team — on both the Boeing and Airbus fleets. On Monday, June 3rd, we moved closer to that goal when AMFA and Alaska Airlines reached a Transition Agreement (TA) in Principle. This agreement, like TAs for other unions on the property, includes wage increases, benefit enhancements, a ratification bonus, and a two-year extension to the collective bargaining agreement. It also includes job protections.
Both parties invested time and effort to understand the concerns and wishes of our technicians when crafting this agreement. While no deal can meet every expectation, this TA is the outcome of constructive, good-faith discussions, placing value on our technicians. In early July, a separate ratification vote on this transition agreement and the proposed integrated seniority list will take place.

Constance von Muehlen, SVP of Maintenance and Engineering commented, “I am grateful for the hard work by both parties to reach this competitive agreement. Also, I am optimistic that those eligible to vote will ensure they take this opportunity to have their voice heard.”

“I want to express my appreciation to the Alaska Aircraft Maintenance Technicians (AMT’s) during the transition period. Their commitment, patience and professionalism during this time frame is commendable. The Negotiating Committee worked consistently to achieve this Transition Agreement for our members,” said Bret Oestreich, AMFA National Director. “It addresses a needed increase in immediate stimulus in comparison to the other work groups on property, on economic and retirement incentives, station protections and work rule benefits for our unified members, which continues to show the diligence of AMFA in the bargaining process.”

Both AMFA and Maintenance leadership will be providing discussion sessions across our stations. For eligible technicians and related employees, AMFA will be providing further details on the voting process soon.

Reactions: B737 driver
I can guarantee the ass will not ever get within a mile of that one... to many mouths to feed.
I still will say the asso. needs to hold AA to the ILC of whoever plus 7%, because now they are willing to include SWA pay rates, so keep that comparo going full speed ahead guys. However, could AA get away with offering SWA rates plus 3% like Parker back peddled on before? It would still be industry leading...

Actually I would classify them more as a Transportation Union just like their name implies.
C'mon weezal boy, why no comments on this fantastic accomplishment by AMFA within the airline industry? AMFA recognised once again for stimulating the mechanics industry. Really dude, you have absolutely nothing, not even a touch of, way to go AMFA for helping out the industry?? Dude, I even praised the teamsters at UPS for helping us out here at SWA, what gives weezal boy??? You just can't handle the heat can you??? LOL!!! You just gotta love this crap man...

News
Hefty Southwest Airlines Bonuses Boost Union Wages in U.S.
Posted June 5, 2019, 1:57 PM
ratified in May. Divided among the 2,700 workers, that comes out to an average one-time bonus payment of $59,260 per worker, said Bloomberg Law legal analyst Robert Combs.

Unions on average negotiated a 3.3% first-year pay increase in contracts in 2019 based on the latest year-to-date figures through June 3, the same level shown in the previous biweekly update. The year-to-date average through June 3, 2018, was a bit lower at 3.1%.

With lump sums factored in, however, the average rose slightly in the most recent two-week period, from 3.7% to 3.8%. This increase was caused by a sizable boost in the average settlement in the nonmanufacturing sector, from 4.2% to 4.5%, which in turn was attributable to the Southwest Airlines agreement, Combs said.

“A one-time payout of almost $60,000 per worker is almost unheard of. It’s certainly the largest that I’ve seen. But that’s what happens when a company’s employees work for seven years without a ratified contract in place. Those missed annual pay raises don’t evaporate, they accumulate,” Combs said.

More Than Lost Time
The signing bonus does more than just make up for lost time.

“Based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ estimated typical earnings for this occupation, if this had been treated like a retroactive wage hike, the bonus would have represented an average yearly increase of more than twice the 3% raise that Southwest has traditionally paid their mechanics,” Combs said.

First-year pay increases for manufacturing contracts during the most recent two-week period averaged 2.9%, the same as for the previous biweekly period. The average increase for state and local government contracts was 2.8%, also unchanged.

The weighted average for first-year increases—which shows the effect of larger contracts on the totals by counting the number of people covered—was 3.5% for all sectors, based on the most recent analysis of 378 labor contracts by Bloomberg Law.

I will at the least say, that this is the first time I have heard a "current" leader say he has no clue why the previous leadership took that avenue. This statement alone speaks volumes from the TWU side, does it not? To me, the way he said it, he does not agree with the fiasco asso. being merged together between the two unions.
I kinda starting to like this guy a little bit, but very cautiously.
You guys hearing any tid bits on how much longer this "ice" will last? Any hints from company or union on movement?? Maybe after this summer huh???

I will at the least say, that this is the first time I have heard a "current" leader say he has no clue why the previous leadership took that avenue. This statement alone speaks volumes from the TWU side, does it not? To me, the way he said it, he does not agree with the fiasco asso. being merged together between the two unions.
I kinda starting to like this guy a little bit, but very cautiously.
You guys hearing any tid bits on how much longer this "ice" will last? Any hints from company or union on movement?? Maybe after this summer huh???

All we hear from the union is, AA is going to only have night shift only days off will monday and Wednesday, and AA will fire us all if it weren’t for the TWU. Our local managers are in the dark trying to do their best with an unmotivated work force.

Maybe this will help with your choices a little guys. AMFA again raises the bar for mechanics wages in the airline industry. A great article and well deserved recognition...

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily...est-airlines-bonuses-boost-union-wages-in-u-s

Ok Association here is your ball run with it!

In fairnes, if the Association agreed to the level of outsourcing at SWA I dont think it would be an issue getting the SWA contract.
While some will say I dont care about outsourcing, just give me more money. I have to ask, where does it stop? We can keep going in that direction and have 10 AMTs on the seniority list all making great money. If you dont already know the term sellout, that's what it means. Sell everyone else out to get something for yourself. SWA is one of the original sellouts in the industry.