Aircraft maint issues

In fairnes, if the Association agreed to the level of outsourcing at SWA I dont think it would be an issue getting the SWA contract.
While some will say I dont care about outsourcing, just give me more money. I have to ask, where does it stop? We can keep going in that direction and have 10 AMTs on the seniority list all making great money. If you dont already know the term sellout, that's what it means. Sell everyone else out to get something for yourself. SWA is one of the original sellouts in the industry.
No sir, SWA is one of the gems in the industry. Can you pls tell us who YOU think the SWA mechanics sold out to get the contract we just voted in? With great detail. Be prepared.

No sir, SWA is one of the gems in the industry. Can you pls tell us who YOU think the SWA mechanics sold out to get the contract we just voted in? With great detail. Be prepared.
Thats the problem we have, people that will not even bother to read the contract and or the proposal but still want to vote. Its unbeleivable they will ***** but will not come up with any solutions on how to get the contract we deserve. Yet they will vote for anything put in front of them. They ***** because it tooking so long, they ***** when the guy does something. But they will not get involved and their biggest excuse is we hate the twu. Im no fan of the twu and the association but what is the alternative right now?

Another union! Any union! How about the Credit Union! Any other union as long as I get to vote on it.
Ive been signing amfa cards and amp cards for 25 years. Please **** 6000 cards to force an election until then this is what we have. Or sit and *****.

Hate to tell you this on top of the problem of getting enough cards, the majority of amfa does not want us. The membership of southwest and alaska are concerned that we are to big of a membership and will take control of it. To be honest i wouldnt want us either as fractured as we are, we couldn't get on the same page if we wanted too. Do you really think if the name on the door changed, that there woukd be more involvement in the union? Or attendance at the meetings woukd improve? Would you actually go to a union meeting? What excuse would you use then?

Hate to tell you this on top of the problem of getting enough cards, the majority of amfa does not want us. The membership of southwest and alaska are concerned that we are to big of a membership and will take control of it. To be honest i wouldnt want us either as fractured as we are, we couldn't get on the same page if we wanted too. Do you really think if the name on the door changed, that there woukd be more involvement in the union? Or attendance at the meetings woukd improve? Would you actually go to a union meeting? What excuse would you use then?
Sorry, I can’t support an ASSociation I had no voice in. Nor can I support the union who sanctioned it. I went to my share of union meetings only to hear too many “THEY CAN DO THAT, BROTHERS.”

Reactions: swamt
Ive been signing amfa cards and amp cards for 25 years. Please **** 6000 cards to force an election until then this is what we have. Or sit and *****.
Sadly the TWU has mastered the Divide and Conquer strategy whether it was line vs oh or mechanic vs fleet. There will always be TWU lovers just as there will always be TWU haters.
Do you remember the AMFA vote where dead, retired And former mechanic - management were counted? How about the teamsters in cahoots to save the TWU and nix AMFA?

Thats the problem we have, people that will not even bother to read the contract and or the proposal but still want to vote. Its unbeleivable they will ***** but will not come up with any solutions on how to get the contract we deserve. Yet they will vote for anything put in front of them. They ***** because it tooking so long, they ***** when the guy does something. But they will not get involved and their biggest excuse is we hate the twu. Im no fan of the twu and the association but what is the alternative right now?
I know and I hear ya loud and clear. Your right, most will not read the entire contract, they will simply scan the "highlights" pointed out to them by the company and the union. Hell, we had guys voting without even receiving their numbers of the retro amounts.
I'm mainly waiting for him to stick his foot in his mouth about what we sold the industry out for. We didn't do anything but improve the wages for the future. All the outsourcing here at SWA has been this way since 40 plus years ago when the IAM and teamsters were at the controls here.
I understand where he is coming from, but trust me, the majority (about 80-85%) like the way we have it. Yes we run lean and mean, but as long as we all keep our jobs and SWA keeps growing and hiring, no reason to rock that boat at all...

I disagree, people are ashamed of belonging to the TWU, and understand they really have no say so in the decision making process. I know I would be a lot more interested in attending meetings, and participating. I wouldn't be ashamed to wear the logo like I am with the TWU. People would love to be observers in negotiations as well. Yeah, there would be a big change in attitude.

All we hear from the union is, AA is going to only have night shift only days off will monday and Wednesday, and AA will fire us all if it weren’t for the TWU. Our local managers are in the dark trying to do their best with an unmotivated work force.
Typical TWU fear mongering. They never deviate from the same tired old playbook.

I would go to union meetings with AMFA I think most of us in the twu stopped going because they never listened to what us the members want are it was over ruled by the international that local 100 bus drivers voted in. With AMFA if not in arbitration they allow observers where the twu likes to hide everything they want even sign there updates. We have to many mechanics that listen to the twu lies. But now if were ever going to switch union is the time. With sito not giving a inch on the iampf the iam already gave up 50 percent on outsourcing. From what I have seen of AMFA they work for what the members want. And why wouldn’t swa and Alaska mechanics not want us. If AMFA is doing our negotiations then we know we’re all on the same page. The way it is the twu set mechanics pay and benefits back, AMFA always seems to get retro pay the only time I Remember the twu getting that was in 01 after AMFA northwest signed. So I contribute that to the AMFA effect .

I would go to union meetings with AMFA I think most of us in the twu stopped going because they never listened to what us the members want are it was over ruled by the international that local 100 bus drivers voted in. With AMFA if not in arbitration they allow observers where the twu likes to hide everything they want even sign there updates. We have to many mechanics that listen to the twu lies. But now if were ever going to switch union is the time. With sito not giving a inch on the iampf the iam already gave up 50 percent on outsourcing. From what I have seen of AMFA they work for what the members want. And why wouldn’t swa and Alaska mechanics not want us. If AMFA is doing our negotiations then we know we’re all on the same page. The way it is the twu set mechanics pay and benefits back, AMFA always seems to get retro pay the only time I Remember the twu getting that was in 01 after AMFA northwest signed. So I contribute that to the AMFA effect .
Guys listen up. I have repeatedly said here that we need to get a ruling within AMFA that at least one if not two Reps would have to stay at the top of the AMFA leadership, to represent each airline within AMFA as a voting member and representational leader to cover their airline and always at the top to do so. This way all airlines within AMFA will always be represented at the upper leadership.
This way, no matter who represents at the National level, ALL airlines will be represented EQUALLY at the top levels. I really want this to happen in order to get you AA'ers as well as other airline mechanics to go with a class and craft union including AMFA. It can be done and I hope we can all get it done. Now let's work to get'er done...

Guys listen up. I have repeatedly said here that we need to get a ruling within AMFA that at least one if not two Reps would have to stay at the top of the AMFA leadership, to represent each airline within AMFA as a voting member and representational leader to cover their airline and always at the top to do so. This way all airlines within AMFA will always be represented at the upper leadership.
This way, no matter who represents at the National level, ALL airlines will be represented EQUALLY at the top levels. I really want this to happen in order to get you AA'ers as well as other airline mechanics to go with a class and craft union including AMFA. It can be done and I hope we can all get it done. Now let's work to get'er done...
I agree with you there. I see United amts are trying to set up there own union but there going with the afl-cio . Witch most amts at AA do not want that I know I do not. There a big part for this association that has not worked from day 1. Trumka came up with that. And Jim little signed off on it. I feel if we at AA can get AMFA then the out look for amts will be brighter. The twu was the first with b and c scale. They agreed to let the company take more from us in 03 then the airlines that went into bk. And the association agreed that on field trips the highest to be made was 1.75 not even back to double time like it was. A lot of people say it’s not the right time to sign cards and get a contract first. I disagree we can not lot this association to give up any more that will be felt thru the industry. The twu has set back our profession a lot. They always make a stink about flow thru items when it comes to fleet and stores facilities. But when it came to us they agreed to our sick time of a half day each occurrence. The other groups got full pay the first day. They didn’t even counter sue American over there slow down accusations. The twu will always do what’s best to get more dues.

Quite on negotiations from BOD meeting.

but the biggest thing is it's affecting us today from an operating perspective is unfortunately the fact that we are in negotiations with our IAM and TWU represented team members. We're working very hard to get that negotiation to a point where we can deliver to our team what we want to deliver, which is by far the best contract in this industry for all of those team members.

We haven't been able to crack the code to do that. We're now -- the parties are now with National Mediation Board who now has control over those negotiations and is working with us together to try and get through joint collective body agreement.

We are optimistic that will result in a contract, which is what our team deserves. And again, as it relates to that contract, we've communicated a lot to our team and for our shareholders, what you should know is, we have put a contract out there that is superior to any contract that any other airline has in place as proof of that -- as proof point of that.

We have told our team and the unions representing our team that we would happily sign any other contract for these workgroups that's in place, just change the name of the airline to American and we'll happily sign those. That, obviously, is not what they want to do because we have on table is much better than that.

So we will get this done at some point in time or having trouble getting there. And unfortunately, as far as it relates to the operation is, as these negotiations continue, the unions have taken it upon themselves to try and influence those negotiations by orchestrating any legal work actions, it doesn't take many of our team members certainly in the maintenance group to have to get to the point where we don't have enough airplanes ready to fly in the morning.

So our team is fantastic. They're trying to do what they can to make sure that their voices are heard. We -- that's -- but again, under the Railway Labor Act, that activity is illegal. So we've filed a lawsuit against the unions and for a preliminary injunction to stop the illegal behavior that lawsuit is -- should be heard sometime this month and we hope that will have a difference.

Latest posts