Aircraft maint issues

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by conehead777, Feb 15, 2017.

1. swamt

swamt Veteran

The Asso. screwed up big time. With the recent video of a sup or manager (I forget which) belittling the mechanic that wrote up a safety issue. It went viral and I believe the company has put said management on leave to further investigate. Again pathetic association, where was the countersuit??? This viral video just proves there was intimidation and heavy, heavy pressure on the mechanics to not write up aircraft, and this one was in fact a safety item. This mechanic was interviewed by a local news station as well. I am shocked that video has not made it here yet. I would post it but I not my position to do so, maybe if it was my airline.
    The absolute "no action" (countersuit included here) by this asso. is just sad and pathetic. It's time to move on to a new union for the mechanics.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

You guys might as well get new representation, because the Association just rolled over, and threw you guys under the bus, with no countersuit. Your conditions will just continue to get worse. Plus the company knows you guys are to big to strike. Very sad situation.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. skinvalve

skinvalve Advanced

If NYC ran a subway line to Rio de Janeiro who would do the maintenance work in RIO?

• Like Like x 1
  4. YouCanFixStupid

Do you big mouth idiots get it now. I see WeAAsle is finally being a good little International Flunky and had stuck his head up one of their butt to hide. Guess all that tuff talk just went out the door. As for GP and Sam. I think it may be time to go to Rehab. That may keep you out of trouble for a while. Make the best of your time out. LMFAO. TheTruthWillSetUFree. Oops I meant "You Cant Fix Stupid"

• Like Like x 1
  5. 1AA

1AA Veteran

China.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

#7911 bigjets, Jun 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    I think it has to do with the fact that AA has about 12k more mechanics the SWA and on a whole AA is paying more for mechs then SWA.

I think it’s telling when the airline CEO says he will sign any contract out there that the association wants to sign. But the union won’t do that either.

AA fleet 965 a/c
    SWA fleet 754 a/c

As awesome as AMFA is, I don’t think you would be having such a great contract with our scope

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. swamt

swamt Veteran

I can understand that AA does pay more for their mechanics by just the sheer numbers. But all that is always considered when throwing out the SWA pay scale.

That is odd about signing any airline contract out there. But I don't think you guys would want our ratios and outsourcing %'s.

Are you indicating we have better scope than AA? I don't think so. You all do way more in house than we do, I think. I honestly think AA has the best in house maint. than all the airlines, am I wrong??
    Even in past postings we have discussed the 35% of maint cost could very well be close to 50% of maint. all together, but brother, we outsource nearly 70-75%. It has been this way from day one at SWA. If I am not mistaken SWA has 22 Maint. lines outsourced at different FBO's

I hope I didn't read your last statement wrong, but I have always been under the impression that AA did more in house than SWA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. 767 mechanic

767 mechanic Veteran

The bottom line is we will never be able to get down to the mechanic ratio that SWA has due to the amount of fleet types that we have and that we have wide body aircraft. If we were to get to that ratio of mechanics we would be outsourcing 90% most likely. AA would go the route of Peoples Express. Lets not forget that we would be getting even more crappy work and UNSAFE work that we are getting now. Look at the Oasis mode when the vendor up in Seattle was putting zip ties in place of bolts to hold the overhead bins up and on the antenna on the crown skin rivets were being oversized and knife edging the metal creating stress points where cracks could form in the outer skin. Using these vendors are dangerous to the flying public. Its funny how the executives don't learn from the past. Remember Value jet or even the one that hits closer to home the commuter in Charlotte a few years ago when contractor rigged the elevators wrong. When things like this happen the company says we didn't do this its not our fault when it is their fault because they were the ones that wanted the outsourcing The mro files bankruptcy and the families of the dead are the ones picking up the pieces.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

To be a little clearer, AA does the most in house maintenance of any airline, period.

I believe if SWA culture called for no outsourcing or very little, SWA would be making the same as all other AMTs I’m sure someone knows mechanics per aircraft numbers. That would probably would be a better scale, but then again SWA just works on 737s, while the other airline AMTs work multiple fleet types including wide bodies.

One good thing about the TWU and AA, they have been able to keep work in house, along with competitive wages, only for this association to come along and well we all know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 1AA

1AA Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  11. swamt

swamt Veteran

You are absolutely correct. Just as an example, in our cases at SWA, we mechanics are missing out on 7 years of compounding growth within our 401K's, retirement and profit sharing accounts. Never to be made up for again. Yea we are getting the matches put in after we get all the retro checks and bonuses, but we still missed out on the past 7 years of growth with that money not being there that we will never make up for. That the part that pisses me off the most about this long wait, not so much the hourly rate.
    In an honest guess, I am out easily 7-10K per year with the boom we have had in the markets as well as the record upon record profitable quarters as of late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MetalMover

MetalMover Veteran

#7917 MetalMover, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Funny thing is there are those who would be more than happy to wait forever for a contract without gaining anything just to say “WE SHOWED THEM!”

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. chilokie1

chilokie1 Senior

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

The sad thing is the TWU/IAM will continue to do fine, because they have other revenue from other Airlines, or other companies and organized labor groups they represent. You guys continue to lose money, until this is resolved. We always remained professional, and if there was a lawsuit filed by SWA, we had countermeasures. Sitto screwed you guys from his unprofessional behavior, and played right into American Airlines hands.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2