Aircraft maint issues

Wow, got on the Forums and saw a few more pages added to the Maintenance Issues thread and thought there may be some good discussion!
But it was just more of WeAAsles Catharsis....

Here you go man. I'd love just for once to be able to read you guys actually discuss "Aircraft Maintenance issues" instead of the B fest that's the usual common theme on this thread.

None of this stuff has anything to do with me so have at it.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/maintenance-and-modifications

Last edited:
Here's one. An Aircraft Maintenance issue.

The Teamsters Airline Division and Local 284 are stepping up pressure on NetJets over its wage and outsourced maintenance concerns. They are now sending letters to NetJets owners outlining complaints about wages that the union said are below that of major airlines and saying it would “categorically reject” the idea NetJets workers must compete against lower-cost vendors. “In our opinion, a race to the bottom doesn’t serve anyone’s best interests in aviation—not yours and not ours,” the letters tell NetJets customers.

“NetJets Aviation, Inc. and NetJets Sales, Inc. employ a mere 111 mechanics to work on its fleet of approximately 400 aircraft. Compare that to a major airline that employs over 7,000 mechanics to service its fleet of approximately 700 aircraft,” said Chris Moore, chairman of the Aviation Mechanics Coalition. “To make the subcontracting problem worse, mechanics and support employees at NetJets haven’t received a wage increase in more than five years.”

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-n...ters-step-dispute-over-netjets-mx-outsourcing

There WAS a thread on here (http://www.airlineforums.com/threads/jcba-negotiations-and-updates-for-aa-amts.59785/) but we all know what happened to it!

“This guide is the starting point for maintenance organizations, manufacturers, airlines, training providers, educational institutions, and others involved in certifying or hiring skilled technicians who maintain aircraft and their electrical and electronic systems,” said ASTM member Mike Adamson, vice president, member programs and education, Aircraft Electronics Association. “This industry consensus standard is the first of many that will support a more uniform approach to training and education in a field where demand for high-tech talent is growing.”

http://www.aviationpros.com/press_r...help-certify-aircraft-electronics-technicians

WHO is selling the stupid IAMPF? Who? Where? One more time I just said it's a (RISKY) investment. Would ANYONE who wanted to sell an investment tell you it was RISKY?

When we get JCBA's to vote on here on this thread (Your Tea Room) I shall not be. I will have ZERO conversation in trying to convince any of you of anything. Don't care at all what you'll be voting on, I just hope (FOR YOU GUYS) it's something you like.

And apparently you do need financial advice since you're obviously so freightened and freaking out about this thing.
Read the U.S. Department of Labor lawsuit against the IAMPF ,docket# 1-16-cv-00120. It is 30 pages full of interesting reading of how the IAMPF does business. Then read up on the differences between multi-employer pension plans vs single employer pension plans,especially as to how it relates to the PBGC. Then consider the restrictions on going back into the workforce while collecting from the IAMPF. These are all things a prudent individual would take into account as well as the numbers. btw: are you now going to teach me about Motorhead?

Read the U.S. Department of Labor lawsuit against the IAMPF ,docket# 1-16-cv-00120. It is 30 pages full of interesting reading of how the IAMPF does business. Then read up on the differences between multi-employer pension plans vs single employer pension plans,especially as to how it relates to the PBGC. Then consider the restrictions on going back into the workforce while collecting from the IAMPF. These are all things a prudent individual would take into account as well as the numbers. btw: are you now going to teach me about Motorhead?

I've already done all that reading. I'm highly aware of both the issue they had and that the issue was also settled. You did read that it was settled right?

Who insures your 401k BTW? AFLAC?

And the restrictions for a skilled trade no personally I don't like. But which one of you would be dumb enough to inform them if you got a Maintenance job outside any IAM microscope when you leave AA? I certainly wouldn't be that dumb.

And the numbers for 2016 haven't come out yet. Last update it was 101% funded with the Schedule B changeover. I'm VERY interested in seeing if that number increased or decreased?

No on Motörhead. Never got into them. Megadeth on the other hand I've seen 5 times.

http://www.plansponsor.com/Union-Pension-Fund-Settles-DOL-Provider-Selection-Lawsuit/

TWU Local 591 Membership Update 4/30/2017

April 30, 2017

To the Membership:

Hopefully by now most of you have seen this past week’s financial briefing on Jetnet, where myself and Dale Danker, Local 514’s president, asked Doug Parker some very specific questions on parity to the IAM. If you have not seen the video I am encouraging you to take the time to watch the segment labeled, “Parity for TWU-IAM” that is in the Jetnet headline titled “1Q State of the Airline.” I had asked our Local 591 representatives to get out on the shop floor and speak with our members about watching the video and I am hopeful that is happening as well.

Unfortunately, while every other workgroup at American enjoys parity to the industry, Doug Parker has now stated publically that he has no interest in giving TWU members parity to neither the industry, nor to our IAM counterparts on the American property, until we reach a JCBA. Shockingly, this past week Doug Parker, along with the Board of Directors, chose to give Pilots and Flight Attendants parity to the industry, by way of pay raises that are into the tens of thousands of dollars for each member, and reportedly worth nearly a billion dollars over three years; which those APA and APFA members rightly deserve. I am discouraged by the lack of respect given to the TWU membership, by Mr. Parker on the video, with his immediate dismissal of holiday parity to the IAM, except through a JCBA. It is clear that Mr. Parker does not see the value that TWU members deliver to American Airlines every day. As you watch Mr. Parker’s response on Jetnet to the disparities between the TWU and the IAM, you will see he says something along the lines of: we cannot give that to you because it could slow down negotiations; slow down negotiations…REALLY! This really begs the questions of whether Doug Parker, as CEO of American Airlines, is that out of touch with his TWU employees. He speaks of a “leap of faith” & “trust” and yet he finds no value in recognizing holidays for the TWU membership who work on the same aircraft, and in some cases, out of the same break-rooms and for the same managers. The lack of concern over this one disparity tells us that Doug Parker wants all of us to take a leap alright.

Normally I do not try to upset or anger the membership, but in this case, I have to say that I am disgusted and appalled that the TWU membership is losing thousands of dollars in overall compensation to our IAM counterparts. It seems Doug Parker has no problem giving his US Airways employees the benefits of American but not the American employees the benefits from US Airways. This double standard has gone on far too long and his answer that we as TWU members need to wait for a JCBA is nothing short of insulting. A “leap of faith” and “trust” starts with an act of “good faith” by immediately righting the wrongs that this membership has had to endure for the past 14 years - when it comes to at least the holidays. They can do this by giving us the parity with our IAM counterparts, beginning with this Memorial Day, while we continue to negotiate a JCBA to its conclusion. This changes nothing at the bargaining table, unless the company intends to not give us the same holidays as all other workgroups, including management. Enough is enough with the lack of proper holiday pay and recognition; it is time for American to give TWU members parity with their peers at American Airlines.

Fraternally,

Gary Peterson

Here you go man. I'd love just for once to be able to read you guys actually discuss "Aircraft Maintenance issues" instead of the B fest that's the usual common theme on this thread.

None of this stuff has anything to do with me so have at it.

http://www.ainonline.com/aviation-news/maintenance-and-modifications

Thank you for the link Weasels, keeping up with current trends & future uses of technology in the aviation maintenance industry is interesting. The problem is if you look at most of the articles they
are about foreign repair stations or companies using the new technology developed in the USA
but manufactured abroad.

Which leads us back to one of the reasons I will never support any TA with the IAMPP in the language
for LAA employees, and that is in our industry many of the future jobs (needed to support the plan financially) are going to be non-union in foreign countries.

Thank you for the link Weasels, keeping up with current trends & future uses of technology in the aviation maintenance industry is interesting. The problem is if you look at most of the articles they
are about foreign repair stations or companies using the new technology developed in the USA
but manufactured abroad.

Which leads us back to one of the reasons I will never support any TA with the IAMPP in the language
for LAA employees, and that is in our industry many of the future jobs (needed to support the plan financially) are going to be non-union in foreign countries.

NOW someone hit on my TOP concern admittedly about the fund. What is the list of industries based in the US that have forecasted growth and incentives to remain in the US? Boeing of course being a huge one but they have been shifting work away from Washington and into the South avoiding the IAM and more than likely the IAMPF as well.

Even IF the Trump administration is successful in luring back more Manufacturing many Companies are Automating as much of the work as possible bypassing us Humans. There hasn't been a long term plan to combat this put out there yet. Meaning Robots being cheaper than what we're asking for.

So particularly for those of us already over 50 getting into the Fund my question is (For Me) what's the outlook on it for say the next 30 years? And some kid in his 20's should think even more about that question (But he should also be bulking up his 401k as much as possible or even better DEMAND a new DBP if the Company is doing great a few years down the road)

For ("ME") again Chil inclusion in the IAMPF is just a low priority litmus for the ENTIRE JCBA to look at when it's finally on my desk. Baring of course a major meltdown my Retirement forecast goals are already firmly in place and I intend to keep adding to that cushion. If we don't get a direct choice of being in the IAMPF and it passes nothing personal to the IAM peeps but it's not ever going to go in my mind as something I'm relying on to meet my Retirement needs. (Whatever I get out of it will just be play money)

And I'll also continue to advise anyone who will listen to be as diverse as possible and save save save.

Last edited:
Wow, got on the Forums and saw a few more pages added to the Maintenance Issues thread and thought there may be some good discussion!
But it was just more of WeAAsles Catharsis....
Yea, I thought the same as you. I too was disappointed once I got in and saw who it was. But it made for very quick scrolling since I do ignore him.

When you put him on ignore it is much better.

It really is. I still can't believe he is still begging for attention.

Yea, I thought the same as you. I too was disappointed once I got in and saw who it was. But it made for very quick scrolling since I do ignore him.

It really is. I still can't believe he is still begging for attention.

I can't believe you're still begging for a contract. 4 and a half years on your knees now right?

NOW someone hit on my TOP concern admittedly about the fund. What is the list of industries based in the US that have forecasted growth and incentives to remain in the US? Boeing of course being a huge one but they have been shifting work away from Washington and into the South avoiding the IAM and more than likely the IAMPF as well.

Even IF the Trump administration is successful in luring back more Manufacturing many Companies are Automating as much of the work as possible bypassing us Humans. There hasn't been a long term plan to combat this put out there yet. Meaning Robots being cheaper than what we're asking for.

So particularly for those of us already over 50 getting into the Fund my question is (For Me) what's the outlook on it for say the next 30 years? And some kid in his 20's should think even more about that question (But he should also be bulking up his 401k as much as possible or even better DEMAND a new DBP if the Company is doing great a few years down the road)

For ("ME") again Chil inclusion in the IAMPF is just a low priority litmus for the ENTIRE JCBA to look at when it's finally on my desk. Baring of course a major meltdown my Retirement forecast goals are already firmly in place and I intend to keep adding to that cushion. If we don't get a direct choice of being in the IAMPF and it passes nothing personal to the IAM peeps but it's not ever going to go in my mind as something I'm relying on to meet my Retirement needs. (Whatever I get out of it will just be play money)

And I'll also continue to advise anyone who will listen to be as diverse as possible and save save save.

If I was a new hire and if I needed to decide between starting a company match 401K plan (with
hopefully a higher % of match then we receive now) or the IAMPP (after being fully educated on the plan) I would choose the 401K plan hands down.

My fear is we will get the option but new hires will not, that will not be a company demand but an
ASS demand (actually the AFL-CIO demand). Does it not bother you that this organization (THE ASS) forced upon us is in MHO wanting to force the IAMPP on TWU members?

Face it Weasels there is a subject that is holding up the negotiations, and since we do not get detailed
negotiation updates we can only guess what the subject is. What was Lombardo so pissed about
when he had a meltdown in the negotiating room?

Now here we are facing another Memorial day at work on straight time with no end in sight to the only
work group at AA not fully benefitting from the merger.

If I was a new hire and if I needed to decide between starting a company match 401K plan (with
hopefully a higher % of match then we receive now) or the IAMPP (after being fully educated on the plan) I would choose the 401K plan hands down.

My fear is we will get the option but new hires will not, that will not be a company demand but an
ASS demand (actually the AFL-CIO demand). Does it not bother you that this organization (THE ASS) forced upon us is in MHO wanting to force the IAMPP on TWU members?

Face it Weasels there is a subject that is holding up the negotiations, and since we do not get detailed
negotiation updates we can only guess what the subject is. What was Lombardo so pissed about
when he had a meltdown in the negotiating room?

Now here we are facing another Memorial day at work on straight time with no end in sight to the only
work group at AA not fully benefitting from the merger.

Admittedly between the two (If I had the knowledge of things that I have today) if I was a new hire I'd also pick a 401k if it had a higher Match and I could afford to maximize that and continue on.

Yes it does bother me somewhat (But don't forget the Company also has to agree) if we are "forced" into it. Forced being an offer for a FULL JCBA that "might" be too sweet to turn down?

Yes I do feel the sense of desire/ desperation/ sales pitch on the IAM side to get us in the plan to help maybe prop it up or hold it up. Question? Do I/ Should I feel maybe a Brotherly obligation/ care to help them out here? Since I'm already set for myself that I think, is it the Christian thing to do or am I being a Schmuck for giving a crap? I do know if I have to choose between helping out people who went through hell and back just like me (More actually) and some kid who hasn't even filled out the application yet, that one is too easy.

Speaking as a FSC who makes way more than the average American in my education range and those kids going to walk into something maybe already beyond their wildest dreams financially do we owe them the World on a silver platter behind us? Or if it's like you said and they don't have a choice and are automatically placed in the IAMPF do THEY maybe OWE you and me something? They're the ones right now walking into this industry with the Sun shining.

And the Lombardo rumor/fact isn't something I'm concerned about honestly unless we get factual information that it really is something we should be concerned about? So far it sounds very gossipy or maybe even Political? (Let's see if the little Yellow guy with the writing pad pounces)

Last edited: